Catholic and Democrat?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Nonie
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Esteboob,
Which bc pills don’t cause abortions? I have looked up SEVERAL different kind of pills in the PDR(Physicians Desk Reference Book) and all of them have interuption of implantation as a 3rd mechanism of action.

I say this because I truly think that Roe vs Wade will never be overturned because then they would have to stop dispensing the bc pill and this would cause to much an uproar. Call me negative.

We are all so against abortion, but I never read anything on this site about the bc pill and abortions. I believe that we need to start educating young women about this fact. I, for one, feel completely betrayed by the medical community. Prior to my realization at birthcontrol being a mortal sin, I used the bc pill for years. I researched all the ones I was on (my cycle was irregular on many of them) and all of them have interuption of implantation as a 3rd mechanism of action. I was horrified, to say the least. One positive thing is that it brought me back to confession!

Shouldn’t the republicans in congress stop all funding to planned parenthood? Is this on their agenda? It angers me that any teenage girl can walk into planned parenthhod and receive bc pills for free or at a discount price without the parents knowing. Planned parenthood makes it easy for our teenagers to have sex.
 
40.png
Bella3502:
When Bush nominated Miers… did you ever hear him say “Harriet Miers is Pro Life. I am Pro Life.”

When Bush nominated Alito… did you hear him say, “Judge Alito is Pro Life.” Of course not.

.
No, because that would be the fastest way to guarantee a “thumbs up or thumbs down” vote – and we all know what the result would be…

I think he had to find someone he knew was prolife but it wouldn’t be glaringly obvious to the committee members – and if it was, his/her other stands on other issues would balance it out so the pro-aborts would have to decide just how badly they wanted to turn this one down…make it a catch 22 for them…
 
40.png
estesbob:
Bush has done everything that is within his power. he has repeatedly condemned abortion, he has reversed the Clinton era funding of international abortion prviders, he has signed a partial birth abortion bill and most importantly he has consistently appointed pro-life federal judges.

Also Dont underestimate the power of the Bully Pulpit.I can recall the difficualty we had counseling young women at the CPC when Cllinton was President. Its hard to convince them abortion is wrong when the duly elected President of the United States was trumpeting it as a fundamental right for all women. It was also, BTW, very difficult to relate to them that oral sex was indeed sexual activity and that having sex with older men was a huge mistake.

BTW-Roe V Wade will be overturned becuase there are millions and millions of Americans just like me that will make it happen. Rather than carp at the President why not help us? If you send me you zip code ill refer you to some local organizations that can join to help in this crucial fight.
As good Catholics we all hope for the overturn of Roe v Wade. However, we must keep in mind how this will be accomplished. First, the President, whoever he is, must appoint judges who will INTERPRET the law, not make law. This means that they must not find things in the Constitution that are not there. Second, a case involving abortion must be brought to the SC and the SC must agree to hear the case. Hopefully, the conditions of that particular case must lend itself to overturning Roe v Wade, wholly or in part.

The quickest way, I believe, is to elect Congresspeople who will enact legislation to curtail and finally to overwrite RvW. I believe President Bush has nominated judges who will interpret the Constitution as it is written. As I have said before, the radical left (yes, there is a radical left) has looked to the SC to bring about changes that they could not get by legislation, or did not dare try to achieve thru legislation.

Let us pray that things will begin to turn around with abortion and many other radical liberal rulings by the courts. It will be a slow process, but it can be done.
 
40.png
Jocelyn:
Esteboob,

Shouldn’t the republicans in congress stop all funding to planned parenthood? Is this on their agenda? It angers me that any teenage girl can walk into planned parenthhod and receive bc pills for free or at a discount price without the parents knowing. Planned parenthood makes it easy for our teenagers to have sex.
Yes they should BUT they dont have the votes to do it. In the Senate it takes 60 votes to accomplish anything.

One thing we have to be very aware of-that is letting the “perfect” become the enemy of the possible.

I would like to see Bush do a lot more on abortion BUT he has done a lot more than his predecessor. Roe V Wade will be overturned. You can count on it. Abortion will not end as it will be decided on a State by State basis and no State will ban contraception regardless of how it works. But once we get it to the state level our voices will be heard louder than ever and we will make a difference, we will reduce the number of abortions and we will be living in a Country where abortion is not considered a fundamental right of women.
 
I don’t believe the Church should have any affiliation with Party lines. It leads to possible corruption.

That being said, I read something last week that the Pope said about voting Democrat. I cannot find the article anymore. It was on MSN.com, but basicaly he said you should not vote Dem. due to the abortion issue. I agree, obviously, but did anyone else read this? Can anyone find it?
 
40.png
pira114:
I don’t believe the Church should have any affiliation with Party lines. It leads to possible corruption.

That being said, I read something last week that the Pope said about voting Democrat. I cannot find the article anymore. It was on MSN.com, but basicaly he said you should not vote Dem. due to the abortion issue. I agree, obviously, but did anyone else read this? Can anyone find it?
Cant be true-the Pope would NEVER invove himself in the party politics. There were some comment from a Cardinal about not voting for pro-abortion politicians but not all Democrast are pro-abortion
 
Oh it’s true all right. The article was titled “the Pope speaks out.” I can’t seem to locate it still, but I know what I read. As for not all Dems believing in abortion, it does not matter. They still belong to and support an organization that, by and large, does. There is no way a Catholic could justify voting Dem. There could be a few arguements against voting Rep. also. Catch 22.
 
40.png
pira114:
Oh it’s true all right. The article was titled “the Pope speaks out.” I can’t seem to locate it still, but I know what I read. As for not all Dems believing in abortion, it does not matter. They still belong to and support an organization that, by and large, does. There is no way a Catholic could justify voting Dem. There could be a few arguements against voting Rep. also. Catch 22.
Mark ,y words. The POPE NEVER said it is wrong to vote for a Demcorat.
 
40.png
pira114:
I don’t believe the Church should have any affiliation with Party lines. It leads to possible corruption.

That being said, I read something last week that the Pope said about voting Democrat. I cannot find the article anymore. It was on MSN.com, but basicaly he said you should not vote Dem. due to the abortion issue. I agree, obviously, but did anyone else read this? Can anyone find it?
Are you sure the MSM didn’t just spin it to make it seem that the Pope said it? That wouldn’t surprise me much…I remember the cardinal part too - - so it sounded as if it was coming “from the vatican” – but not technically…since the pope didn’t say it personally…or somethign convoluted like that…lol.
 
I know some posters have questioned whether President Bush is Pro-Life. I just wanted to list these points…
  1. I believe both of President Bush’s Supreme Court Appointments are Pro-Life (Roberts & Alito). Only time will tell but I really think both will vote Pro-Life. We all know the best way to stop abortion right now is through prayer, everyone discussing the topic with family, work & friends and to get Pro-Life Supreme Court Justices appointed to overturn Roe v Wade. This will send the power back to the states and the people to decide the ultimate fate of abortion.
  2. There seem to be many doubters Roe v Wade will be overturned. Believe me, its going to happen & its going to happen much quicker than many think.
  3. Fr. Peter West was tracking President Bush’s Pro-Life accomplishments on a day to day basis thru 5-18-04. Here they are freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1140835/posts
  4. I am an Independent Voter. We know the Democratic Party is Pro-Abortion. I feel the Republic Party is for the most part Pro-Life although I think there are times when the Republican Party would rather keep on putting off the overturning of Roe v Wade so they can keep the “Pro Life Vote” as long as possible. Although it took me many years to realize this, I am now totally convinced voting “the lessor of two evils” will never bring about change in our country. In conclusion, if Catholics would just vote their faith and vote as a voting block for just one time; the abortion debate would be done & over for good.
  5. I have to plug Dr. Frank Joseph just one more time for my favorite “Letter to the Editor” of all time illinoisleader.com/letters/lettersview.asp?c=2476
 
40.png
estesbob:
Mark ,y words. The POPE NEVER said it is wrong to vote for a Demcorat.
Correct. But the Church has consistently said one may not support a pro-abortion candidate in the absence of genuinely proportional reasons, which means the other candidate must be pro- things that would cause more harm than abortion.

Since the Democratic Party is stridently pro-abortion, since there is nothing in the U.S. right now that kills 3000 babies a day other than abortion, and since almost every single Democratic candidate for anything out there adheres to his party’s platform, it follows that there are very few Democrats worthy of a Catholic’s vote.

– Mark L. Chance.
 
40.png
mlchance:
Correct. But the Church has consistently said one may not support a pro-abortion candidate in the absence of genuinely proportional reasons, which means the other candidate must be pro- things that would cause more harm than abortion.

Since the Democratic Party is stridently pro-abortion, since there is nothing in the U.S. right now that kills 3000 babies a day other than abortion, and since almost every single Democratic candidate for anything out there adheres to his party’s platform, it follows that there are very few Democrats worthy of a Catholic’s vote.

– Mark L. Chance.
I agree with most of your post. However it is impoartant that people realize that when you or I or anyone else says it is wrong to vote for a Democrat we are expressing our own opoinion and not the teachings of the Church

I bring this up becuase I have seen tons of assertions in these forums complete with voluminous quotes from Catholic officals that claim that either the Church as declared the Iraq war an unjust war and or that the Church opposes the Death Penalty.

Neither of these are correct statements about the Church’s teachings, Nor is the claim one can not vote for a Democrat-although in my case I havent voted for one since 1976 precisely because of their parties complcity in the death of a million plus people a year.

BTW-I think it is fair to say that the Church soundly condemns a politician who supports abortion. The only reason a Catholic Politican can vote for abortion is when the bill he is voting for is more restrictive than the law currently in place. The debate in the Church now is what should be done about these alleged catholic Polticians who snub their noses at catholic teachings?

When we misstae the Churchs teaching to backup are own political views it takes away from our credibiltiy when debating non-Cathilics about things that really our Church teachings-like the real presence or the fact the Church is the One true Church.
 
40.png
estesbob:
I agree with most of your post. However it is impoartant that people realize that when you or I or anyone else says it is wrong to vote for a Democrat we are expressing our own opoinion and not the teachings of the Church.
True. I think it is important to note that I didn’t say a Catholic can’t vote for a Democrat. A Catholic cannot vote for a pro-abortion candidate regardless of that candidate’s party.

Last presidential election, my deciding objection against Senator Kerry wasn’t that he was a Democrat. It was that he promised to do everything in his power as president to make it easier for women to get abortions.

That one promise immediately disqualified him.

– Mark L. Chance.
 
I vote Republican because the party is predominately pro-life,and anti Gay/Lesbian Marriage. I will not support a party, or a candidate that supports abortion. The Republican party lines up to my family values. The Democratic party is not the party it was in the John F. Kennedy days, its really ashame and puzzling why Catholics cant figure that out. Maybe just a case of denial??
 
Are you familar with the organization Democrats for Life? They are supposed to be very good.
 
40.png
LynnieLew:
Are you familar with the organization Democrats for Life? They are supposed to be very good.
Good, but ignored. The Democratic Party pretends they don’t exist because what they want is contrary to the party platform. They won’t even link to them from the party Web site.

In any case, I disagree with Democrat fiscal policy, too, so I wouldn’t vote for them either way…but I’m just pointing this out.
–Ann
 
40.png
Sparky:
Good, but ignored. The Democratic Party pretends they don’t exist because what they want is contrary to the party platform. They won’t even link to them from the party Web site.

In any case, I disagree with Democrat fiscal policy, too, so I wouldn’t vote for them either way…but I’m just pointing this out.
–Ann
I agree with you.

I think it is a wonderful effort on behalf of pro-life Democrats to do what is right. Even though I have substantial problems with the Democrat platform on issues other than life issues, I commend those who work toward peace and preserving life. I vote on issues and a consistent life ethic is my big one! I am more of a conservative on other issues so even if the Democrats were pro-life I would have to take the issues one by one.

There is good progress though. I read Howard Dean met with the president of DFLA and other pro-life democrats to be accepted by the party. Regardless of the political ideology I pray for them that they may accurately represent those of their party who are pro-life.
 
40.png
smartblkchick:
I am Catholic and a Democrat because I am not now, nor have I ever been, a one-issue voter. I look at the totality of the perspectives of both parties before I vote. I have yet to agree with the pro-business, pro-wealthy, anti-poor positions of the Republican party. And, as a black person, I find their pandering to the racist white voting block offensive. Unless and until that changes, I will never vote Republican!
I’ve been Republican ever since Carter. I was a volunteer for the re-election of Reagan. The reason I choose to be Republican is because not only does the party reflect the Catholic morals I hold dear, but also the majority of the Republicans I know are not racist. To say they are is a racist statement that is terribly wrong. Abortion is not the only issue I disagree with. Gay marriage, taking God out of the classroom are Democratic Party issues that I can never agree with. All that rhetoric about only being for the rich man is false.
 
I have an older brother that is Catholic and a Democrat. I do my best not to talk politics with him for the reason that a person can’t pick and choose as a Catholic what to beleive in. To me that’s being a cafeteria Catholic. You should beleive and accept all the teachings of the Church or none. You might not always understand the reason for this or that but you need to have faith the Church knows better than us.Dont Protestants do the same. They couldn’t accept all the teachings of the Church so they made up their own rules. I just dont understand it.
 
Martin Luther wanting to abdicate the Catholic Church instead of reforming it from within.

Look, there is nothing evil about being Democrat. Not EVERY Democrat is into murdering the unborn.

Not EVERY Republican is into saving the lives of the unborn.

Not EVERY Democrat is for the little people. Not EVERY Republican is for big business.

We need to look at people and not at labels.

With that said, it does seem weird that those who care about people once they are born are not necessarily for those of us who are unborn, yet.

But it is just as weird that those who are so pro life care diddly squat about people once they are born.

Think Bush and the death penalty. Ho hum.

Janice
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top