I’m so chagrined…I use my search engine for everything and went in under “Catholic Boycotts” which led me to the Catholic League’s website. I’m so sorry for the confusion - In any case, what I told you is correct. They do investigate complaints, contact the media and publicly call for boycotts (although probably not often enough!) When I was horrified over the Boston Legal episode (BL had been my favorite show) I contacted the local Catholic paper, who referred me to the Bishop’s Conference, who referred me to the Catholic League, who had already received numerous complaints. SO, if the CL isn’t familiar to people, how are folks monitoring the media and are we doing it at all?
Going to Mass now…
The Catholic League
does monitor the media for anti-Catholic sentiments, and they make statements accordingly (which often will entail a call for boycotting or letter writing). As far as I can tell, they do not maintain any sort of active “Catholic Boycott Registry” which would list all the products and companies to boycott. You’d just have to keep up with their press releases and keep track for yourself.
Historically speaking, well-organized boycotts can be very effective. But, I’ve never seen anything close to a well-organized boycott among Catholics or Christians. Even if you manage to publicize it well, many people simply will not follow through with it.
First, a private boycott accomplishes nothing. For you to simply say “I’m not going to watch this TV program because of it’s anti-Catholic content” will not do anything. There are many reasons why people choose not to watch something. Now, if you write a letter (or letters) letting the TV company and their advertisers know
why you’re not watching something, that may be a different story. If you help organize a letter-writing campaign, better still.
Second, don’t be surprised if not many people jump on board the boycott. With
so many things in our culture that run counter to the Gospel, it’s hard to keep track of it all (not to mention the fact that if you boycotted
everything that ran counter to the Gospel in some way, you would have no where to shop and nothing to buy). People might easily forget what they’re supposed to boycott, or else they might think that one off-color joke isn’t worth the effort. Even if they
are upset, they might not think one person will make a difference. Many times, those who
are gung-ho about the boycott of a TV program are those who weren’t watching it to begin with. For those who are already partial to watching that program, they will have an easier time dismissing the occassional anti-Catholic slur in lieu of the hours of entertainment they derive from the show.
Third, there is such a diversity of opinion even among Catholics and Christians as to what is acceptable and what is not. I always hear the statistics that Catholics contracept, abort, and divorce at the same rate as the secular culture at large. If that’s the case, how do you convince Catholics to organize as a group to boycott this or that product because they give money to Planned Parenthood (for example)?
I don’t mean to say that boycotting is not a good idea. I think it can be. But there are certain challenges unique to our modern situation that we have to take into account if we want to do it effectively. It’s not an easy thing to do. If the Church were the federal government, a boycott would be easy: you just make in illegal to buy or sell a certain product. The Church does not have that same method at its disposal.