Catholic Church founded by Jesus?

• Thread starter Thread starter Glenn
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Indeed, it is more than just in the CC where the church is followed, leaned upon, more than Christ.

Jesus said, " Abide in Me". Yes He also said if you listen to the apostles you listen to Him. Hence the balance.

A good follower is not impotent to to pray for and be diligent to beware of any leaven in our teachers, as admonished by the Lord.

If you were to know the Lord and Holy Ghost as we know Him you would not say we have no assurance of His perfect guidance…but perhaps you just doubt us. Regardless, we are not reeds shaken in the wind and testify of His glorious salvation and workings also.
All good points & surely our Lord won’t fault anyone because they trust their church is instituted by Christ.

Indeed, Israel was divided. Even in Jesus’ time; Judah, Samaria, Galilee, I don’t think Manasseh or Gad we’re in existence. & he searched for his lambs regardless.

Not much different from today

A prejudiced conscience formed by tradition is also problematic.
Aren’t you prejudging here, then, too? 🤔

But, I’ll take you up on that: if the ‘tradition’ was divinely authorized to teach the Gospel, how is believing in the doctrines that it teaches “problematic”? That is, how can I even assent to the validity of your question if it, itself, is questionable?
That you now have written testimony from the now deceased apostles, setting their oral record straight.
Wait – so, you’re saying that the promises that Jesus made about the Church to the apostles failed even before the death of the apostles?!? That is, that they couldn’t get their oral teaching straight, so later generations had to fix it?!? OK… show me, in the Bible, where it makes that claim about itself, please!
o to me CC ends up having a version of OSAS but applying to CC magisterium, which I coin as ORAR, or “once right always right”.
Ahh… but did Jesus himself make those promises of correctness? And if so, then to whom, and in what context? I’d argue that He made precisely these promises, and through the Apostles!
I really do not understand what you are talking about.
He’s trying to say that, just as an OSAS person believes that nothing takes away salvation, a Catholic person believes that nothing takes away the truth of a doctrine.

It’s a difficult position to hold. Taken to its logical extreme, we see that it implies that @mcq72’s dearly held beliefs might one day be ‘changed’, and therefore, that he is potentially holding onto untrue doctrines!

But it is not & never has been,”because I said so.”
This is true, but there’s also an underlying truth that it reveals. When a parent says something, the child should listen, because that parent has the authority and duty to teach and lead. Even if the parent’s answer isn’t “because I said so”, the assertion that the “said so” matters (and is valid) is itself true!

So, when a child pouts because he hears “because I said so” – or even when he doesn’t hear it, but he realizes that he’s being led by a valid authority – the problem that he has isn’t that it’s a raw exercise of authority… it’s that it’s an exercise of valid authority against which he’s rebelling! (Jesus himself taught against this – in speaking to Saul, He rebukes him for “kicking against the goad” (Acts 26:14).)

This is true, but there’s also an underlying truth that it reveals. When a parent says something, the child should listen, because that parent has the authority and duty to teach and lead . Even if the parent’s answer isn’t “because I said so”, the assertion that the “said so” matters (and is valid) is itself true!
Exactly.

Additionally, if I weren’t clear before, even if the parent says, “because I said so.” That isn’t truly the reason the parent requires obedience. The true reason is often (or should be) of the highest good for the child, even though the child is incapable of understanding.

In the case of the Church, the reason is God’s will, that all men be saved. Not because she said so.

I get what you’re saying. It’s as if the Church is saying, “because I said so.” Like a parent would to a child lacking maturity to understand.
Yes, somewhat. It also entails because we have always said so…or that is what our fathers and forefathers said, or that’s the way we have always done it etc, etc. .Very similar to what the Jewish leaders told Jesus, citing forefathers, even tradition/ succession of sorts. Jesus was said to be different, or “new” or contrasting approach, daring to speak with authority etc…

I think the trial of Luther bears some of this out in simplistic terms. He was told all of the above ( the church says so now, as she did yesterday, in decrees and councils and father writings).

What seems to be missing, if I have my history of the trial right, is reasoning together from a scriptural basis. Luthers main and apparently sole basis for his thesis was scripture, and he begged for scriptural rebuttal/correction. It was not enough just to say, well because of this decree or that council, but upon what scriptural basis did they do so. I think the " courts" were shocked that Luther would ask such a thing. I think his thesis points were minor compared to the questioning of past decrees and councils, as if they needed justifying in face of possible error.

Not sure but I think since then, the CC is tediously careful with any new decree to cite every justifying scripture, along with church father writings etc.
Like a parent would to a child lacking maturity to understand.
Well, one might object, for many of the reformers were well educated Catholics, even clergy.

Am reminded of John’s epistle, where he often calls us " little children", while saying we "know all things"in the faith “by the unction of the Holy Ghost.”

Last edited:
Ahh… but did Jesus himself make those promises of correctness? And if so, then to whom, and in what context? I’d argue that He made precisely these promises, and through the Apostles
And you don’t think Calvinists cite salvation promises taught thru Jesus and the apostles?

I believe in all these promises, both for guidance of the ecclessia and for individual saints. There are individual and corporate promises.

All I am saying one must also remember the warnings and conditions also taught by Jesus and the apostles.
Wait – so, you’re saying that the promises that Jesus made about the Church to the apostles failed even before the death of the apostles ?!? That is, that they couldn’t get their oral teaching straight, so later generations had to fix it?!? OK… show me, in the Bible, where it makes that claim about itself, please!
No, am mot saying that at all. I referred to Luke’s words as to why he put it in writing. He writes,

“1Inasmuch as many have taken in hand to set in order a narrative of those things which have been fulfilled among us, 2just as those who from the beginning were eyewitnesses and ministers of the word delivered them to us, 3it seemed good to me also, having had perfect understanding of all things from the very first, to write to you an orderly account, most excellent Theophilus, 4that you may know the certainty of those things in which you were instructed.”

And Paul writes the Galatians to straighten a few things out:

"I marvel that ye are so soon removed from him that called you into the grace of Christ unto another gospel:

“As we said before, so say I now again, If any man preach any other gospel unto you than that ye have received, let him be accursed.”
Galatians 1:9 KJV

The apostles had their teaching straight…others did not.
He’s trying to say that, just as an OSAS person believes that nothing takes away salvation, a Catholic person believes that nothing takes away the truth of a doctrine
Well more like no one can take away the teaching inerrancy of CC.

Last edited:
And you don’t think Calvinists cite salvation promises taught thru Jesus and the apostles?
They do, and it’s a good opportunity to discuss the audience to whom these promises were made! (The standard Protestant assumption is “all of us”, but the texts show that Jesus’ audience was the apostles!)
There are individual and corporate promises.
There are! But… the ones we’re talking about here were made to the Church, through the apostles!
Agreed. And, in a use of the authority they had been given by Christ, they named successors to follow them in their ministry (and therefore, to fall under Christ’s promises). Others, who started their own churches / denominations, did not fall under these promises. So, the very witness of Scripture itself demonstrates that folks who think that they can start their own church and teach faithfully … are mistaken!
Well more like no one can take away the teaching inerrancy of CC.
Fair enough. Yet… the Catholic Church can point to Jesus’ promises to the apostles. To whom can OSAS adherents point?

And Paul writes the Galatians to straighten a few things out:

"I marvel that ye are so soon removed from him that called you into the grace of Christ unto another gospel:

“As we said before, so say I now again, If any man preach any other gospel unto you than that ye have received, let him be accursed.”
Galatians 1:9 KJV

How do you know which camp you are in? Is your ‘teaching authoritysound in all doctrine?

Well, one might object, for many of the reformers were well educated Catholics, even clergy.
That’s a different ball of wax. The Church wouldn’t tell a mature believer, “because I said so.”
Not sure but I think since then, the CC is tediously careful with any new decree to cite every justifying scripture, along with church father writings etc.
Far as I know the Church has always cited scripture where appropriate even the early Church Fathers cited the scripture they had. Read St Agustin of Hippo. He died in 430 AD, & he was citing scripture.
It was not enough just to say, well because of this decree or that council, but upon what scriptural basis did they do so.
The Church points to councils, doctrines, & practices of the past only as evidence to convey the understanding of Christians of previous generations. not as proof in & of itself of said doctrine.
What seems to be missing, if I have my history of the trial right, is reasoning together from a scriptural basis.
Again, this seems like a backwards concept to me. It’s like saying, forget what Jesus said, it is written here in Isaiah, or the Torah.

Regardless what is written it’s our hearts by which we’ll be judged. Just as it was the first time Jesus came. & he came as an example to show us the way. He didn’t instruct his disciples to edit the Torah or the Prophets. He showed them how to live & instructed them to teach others how to live. Eventually that teaching was put to paper.

Some men would read that & say this means this, & that means that. & others like St Paul said, “No, that is not what was meant.”

& I’m sure even some prominent members of the Church got it wrong. From time to time several members of the Church got together to determine what was true & what was false. What writings were beneficial & what was not. What expressed the Gospel they were told & what did not.

& it’s that understanding we interpret scripture today.

To come at it from a different perspective 1200 years after the fact just doesn’t make sense. Or 1700 years after the fact in our case.

3it seemed good to me also, having had perfect understanding of all things from the very first, to write to you an orderly account, most excellent Theophilus,
Thank you. St Luke said it much better than I did.

There are! But… the ones we’re talking about here were made to the Church, through the apostles!
And so were the warnings/ conditions.
but the texts show that Jesus’ audience was the apostles!)
Then there is an awful lot of stuff lay people don’t need to heed. The last supper was only apostles only. By your rationale eucharust is only for clergy.

Apostles were disciples, as any Christian is. All have access to His green pastures, not just the shepherds.
So, the very witness of Scripture itself demonstrates that folks who think that they can start their own church and teach faithfully … are mistaken
That is true, especially if original church kept faithful and therefore under such protection.
Fair enough. Yet… the Catholic Church can point to Jesus’ promises to the apostles. To whom can OSAS adherents point
Thank you for the fair enough.OSAS has Jesus own words and apostles. Do you think they made no promises of assurance of salvation for individuals?

40.png
Gorgias:
but the texts show that Jesus’ audience was the apostles!)
Then there is an awful lot of stuff lay people don’t need to heed. The last supper was only apostles only. By your rationale eucharust is only for clergy.
From Christ to the Apostles and then the sheep…

1 Cor 10:16-17 The cup of blessing that we bless, is it not a participation in the BLOOD of Christ? The bread that we break, is it not a participation in the BODY of Christ? Because the loaf of bread is one, we, though many, are one body , for we all partake of the one loaf .

Acts 2:42 They devoted themselves to the teaching of the apostles and to the communal life, to the breaking of the bread and to the prayers. [ Eucharist ]

1 Cor 11:23-30 For I received from the Lord what I also handed on to you , that the Lord Jesus, on the night he was handed over, took bread, and, after he had given thanks, broke it and said, “ This IS my body that is for you. Do this in remembrance of me .” In the same way also the cup, after supper, saying, “ This cup is the new covenant in my blood. Do this, as often as you drink it, in remembrance of me .” For as often as you eat this bread and drink the cup, you proclaim the death of the Lord until he comes .

Therefore whoever eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord UNWORTHILY will have to answer for the BODY and BLOOD of the Lord

Again, this seems like a backwards concept to me. It’s like saying, forget what Jesus said, it is written here in Isaiah, or the Torah.
Understand your analogy but disagree. It is never backwards to go to the source or rule of scripture. Jesus didn’t mind it , in fact He and the apostles were armed with OT scripture.
Your analogy is like the pope is like Jesus so why go back to what Matthew,Mark, Luke or John say when you have Jesus?

All scripture, old and new, point to Jesus. Never fail to " bring it (Scripture) on". Not backward. Not sure if apostles or Jesus ever said, come let us reason together over tradition or men’s commentaries or corporate wisdom.

Last edited:
Regardless what is written it’s our hearts by which we’ll be judged.
Well, not a good way to start a sentence, and our actions will be judged by what is in our hearts. We will also be judged by the measure of light and talents He has given us.
he came as an example to show us the way
Yes. And more, for He is the way, the Truth, and the Light.
He didn’t instruct his disciples to edit the Torah or the Prophets.
No but they showed themselves approved by the handling and fulfilling of the Scriptures.
He showed them how to live & instructed them to teach others how to live.
And how to begin our spiritual journey thru faith in Christ, the new birth, being born again into newness of life.
To come at it from a different perspective 1200 years after the fact just doesn’t make sense. Or 1700 years after the fact in our case.
Not sure I follow.

I do think the perspective changed only the tools we use as a rule of faith. We stand on the apostles. First came the oral, then the written, determined to be God’s Holy Scripture. It is divinely inspired, receieved, kept and understood. Their oral teaching ceased, but their inspired writing remains forever. Now all oral teaching and tradition can be weighed against God’s record. What nrever changes is our depend3nce on His light, His unction, to know all things in truth and Spirit.

Not sure I follow.
Basically I’m saying Jesus taught his Apostles how to read and understand scripture & how it should be applied to the way they live their lives.

It was that understanding that went into development of the New Testament. From the inspired writers to the authoritative councils.

It is that understanding we must use to interpret scripture today.

We can’t use our detached understanding (detached from that tradition) to say this means this, that means that.

First came the oral, then the written, determined to be God’s Holy Scripture. It is divinely inspired, receieved, kept and understood.
That’s what we say about Sacred Tradition. It is divinely inspired, received, kept, & understood.
Their oral teaching ceased, but their inspired writing remains forever.
No it has not ceased. It is with us today. Some just choose to ignore it

Thank you for the fair enough.OSAS has Jesus own words and apostles. Do you think they made no promises of assurance of salvation for individuals?
Cite the versus. No I believe Jesus made no “assurance” of salvation. I believe He said Many will say to me on that day,
‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name? Did we not drive out demons in your name? Did we not do mighty deeds in your name?’

And so were the warnings/ conditions.
Agreed! Yet, the ‘warnings’ didn’t include “ya’ll apostles will get it wrong”. If you can show where apostles get doctrine wrong, from Scriptural sources, as a doctrinal statement to the whole Church, I’d love to see it!
Then there is an awful lot of stuff lay people don’t need to heed.
There’s a lot of stuff that bishops and priests need to heed. Agreed!
The last supper was only apostles only. By your rationale eucharust is only for clergy.
No…

The command was “do”, not “share”. Apostles – and by their application of the divine proxy of authority, their successors and their co-workers, priests – actually follow what Christ commanded. They actually do what Christ commanded to be done. However, Christ didn’t offer a command about with whom we share the Eucharist… so, unless you have a Scriptural assertion about with whom Eucharist shall be shared… what’s your objection?
Apostles were disciples, as any Christian is. All have access to His green pastures, not just the shepherds.
All apostles are disciples. Not all disciples are apostles. Might we talk about the meanings of the words?

And yes… we all have access to the sacraments. Doesn’t mean that we all confect them, right? (Here’s the counter-example: we all have access to McDonalds hamburgers. Does that mean that you cook them, purely by virtue of the claim that “I eat Big Macs”?)
That is true, especially if original church kept faithful and therefore under such protection.
Does Christ not promise that His Church will “keep faithful”? Not individual members, mind you – but the Church He founded?
Do you think they made no promises of assurance of salvation for individuals?
Do you have any citations that He did?

I’ve read through the articles posted by Montrose, and have had some time to think through some of the points.

The biblical evidence, in my mind, seems to point to a sacramental conveyance of gifting or authority through the laying on of hands.
Do not neglect the gift you have, which was given you by prophecy when the council of elders laid their hands on you. (1 Timothy 4:14)
But I cannot say positively that this indicates a direct and unbroken line to the apostles is always necessary. I would think that theological succession from the apostles is ultimately more important than sacramental succession. In other words, the sacramental line of succession can, in my mind, be established or reestablished by those who adhere to the teaching of the apostles. We are true children of Abraham by faith, not by some sort of sacramental genealogy.

Adhering to the apostolic tradition is important. And it was certainly good advise of the Church Fathers to encourage the early believers to follow the bishops. But those who were appointed, those who received the sacramental laying on of hands, had been approved based on theological grounds by their predecessors:
Do not be hasty in the laying on of hands, nor take part in the sins of others; keep yourself pure. (1 Timothy 5:22)
The saying is trustworthy: If anyone aspires to the office of overseer, he desires a noble task. Therefore an overseer must be above reproach, the husband of one wife, sober-minded, self-controlled, respectable, hospitable, able to teach, not a drunkard, not violent but gentle, not quarrelsome, not a lover of money. He must manage his own household well, with all dignity keeping his children submissive, for if someone does not know how to manage his own household, how will he care for God’s church? (1 Timothy 3:1-5)
If sacramental succession was primary, the Church would not have found it necessary to develop its creeds.

One of the articles said that Paul wrote in 2 Cor. 1:21-22 that God has commissioned certain men and sealed them with the Holy Spirit as a guarantee. But when I read that passage, it appears that Paul is speaking to all believers, that all believers are in fact anointed:
And it is God who establishes us with you in Christ, and has anointed us, and who has also put his seal on us and given us his Spirit in our hearts as a guarantee. (2 Cor. 1:21-22)
The idea that because the apostles died, it is therefore necessary to pass their authority on to others does not seem to be supported by this passage from Hebrews:
The former priests were many in number, because they were prevented by death from continuing in office, but [Christ] holds his priesthood permanently, because he continues forever. Consequently, he is able to save to the uttermost those who draw near to God through him, since he always lives to make intercession for them. (Hebrews 7:23-25)

continued…

We are to hold to the apostolic tradition, but we are ultimately to submit to Christ, not to the bishops:
Now I commend you because you remember me in everything and maintain the traditions even as I delivered them to you. But I want you to understand that the head of every man is Christ. (1 Corinthians 11:2-3)
The early believers were never without the Scriptures. They had the Old Testament from the very beginning. And even while Peter was still alive, he referred to Paul’s epistles as having scriptural authority:
And count the patience of our Lord as salvation, just as our beloved brother Paul also wrote to you according to the wisdom given him, as he does in all his letters when he speaks in them of these matters. There are some things in them that are hard to understand, which the ignorant and unstable twist to their own destruction, as they do the other Scriptures. (2 Peter 3:15-16).
When Jesus was tempted in the wilderness by Satan, he did not respond with the words “according to tradition.” He said, “It is written.” And in his Sermon on the Mount, he spoke out against the traditions of the elders: “You have heard that it was said… but I say to you.” Jesus himself, according to Pope Benedict XVI, was the new Torah.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back