Catholic Converts, are you happy you converted?

  • Thread starter Thread starter DoxieMama
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DoxieMama

Guest
Hello! I am going to start RCIA in a couple weeks. I am currently Lutheran, but I have been wanting to convert to Catholicism for awhile. I’d like to hear from converts about your experience, and whether you are happy now.

Also, how do you deal with negative comments from family, friends, etc. about the beliefs of Catholicism, such as not using contraception to prevent pregnancy? Thanks :o
 
Hi DoxieMama:

I converted to the Catholic Church from the Anglican one, after something like filmmaker Ronald Eyres’ “Long Search” that took me all over the world looking for answers that I could never find. I started the RCIA program several times but could never finish it…the river would find a new tributary, and the pilgrim would end up in Varanasi or Mecca or Jerusalem instead of Rome.

Overall, I am happy that I converted; I am in the right place now I think, though I know there are many ways to the divine and my way was definitely not the fastest, or the most direct way. My family despised my choice; they are dedicated atheists, and they mock my beliefs every time we meet. After a long time it didn’t bother me any more.

Negative comments about contraception and pregnancy? I was foolish…I practiced NFP with my wife for many years, and told everyone who would listen that the Church’s teachings on Natural Family Planning were correct because I was a living example of its effectiveness…but once we started using NFP to figure out when to conceive instead of when to abstain we couldn’t get pregnant. Once we finally got pregnant, we miscarried again and again (our stories are in the Infertility threads in the ironically named “Family Life” Section of the site.) It turned out that we were incurably infertile, and all that praise I had given to NFP as being so effective was…so much sophistry (in my case). The only thing I regret: had I not become Catholic, my wife and I would have been able to have had a family of our own (her sister was willing to act as a surrogate, which the Catholic Church forbids). But you cannot have everything you want in this life; you have to make some compromises. If you end up in Rome, you can’t live in Cantebury.

Good luck with your journey.

Jacques
 
I am in a similar situation. My family left the Episcopal Church in July. We are Rome bound, and not looking back. It is a big decision, and not to be taken lightly. I applaud you for coming in with your eyes as wide open as you can.

Personally I know is someone is not going to receive what I have to say on a subject pertaining to my faith. I just don’t bring it up. Now if they bring it up that is a different story. We have been trough many of those conversations with our family and friends years ago. As Episcopalians we did not use birth control and had to deal with peoples concerns about Mary and so on.

I think for those who love you are care about you. Once they see the joy in your life. How your relationship with the Lord is growing. Will relax some on their objections. Oftentimes objections come from misconceptions. As they see the form and practice of your faith. How you live it day to day. Those concerns should become less of a hindrance in relationships.

My mother in-law is greatly bothered by icons. We have several in our home. She does comment from time to time about them. Overall she understands our worship practices. She in no longer concerned about us practicing idolatry.

This is not the case for all, but from what others have said this is common.

Congratulations!
 
I converted about 16 years ago – best thing I ever did.
It’s true, as Jacques points out, that the Catholic church doesn’t allow some things that are accepted in the secular world or even in other churches. But his complaint seems to be that if he hadn’t been Catholic, he would have been able to sin with a clear conscience, and have had a family. I would prefer to follow the church’s teachings, avoid sin, and accept the circumstances God sends me. As it is, we adopted 2 children, who are just as beloved as our bio-kids.
The church does not frown on certain things just to annoy or test us, she does so because under the leadership of the holy father, she knows that some things are dangerous or harmful for our souls. She has 2000 years of experience, I will take her guidance over my own by-the-seat-of-my-pants philosophy any day, since it didn’t get me anyplace I wanted to be.
I am sure you will not regret joining the church. There is such a rich and wonderful history, and so many splendid resources in the church, it widened my universe.
 
happy as happy could be. I just say my sex life is none of their business.
 
I wouldn’t change a thing about my conversion, plus, I haven’t looked back since.

My grandfather was a well known, and highly respected Presbyterian minister, and even he dealt with it pretty well. 😃

My RCIA experience was do overwhelming, that I have participated in the program ever since. I have been running it for the past 10 yrs., and almost all of our team members are converts.
 
I have been, errr, barred from RCIA, but have been baptised privately.
As for happy, not quite. But I do feel more closer to God, that’s for sure.
 
We have been Catholic for about seven years.

We have three children we would not have had were it not for the Church’s teachings on contraception. 😃 We love those little ones! Their existence is an unqualified good.

My parents were … not best pleased at our conversion. They are Protestant missionaries, and they did not like it at all. They still haven’t gotten over it. I doubt they ever will. My husband’s family cared less than mine did, but they didn’t like it, either.

I would never, never change it. The Catholic Church holds the fullness of truth. How could I ever go elsewhere?
 
God’s peace. I am delighted to be Catholic! After leaving Protestantism behind in 2004 it was like a whole new world of understanding and faith opened up to me. I am also a member of the Secular Franciscan Order, which I guess makes me a sort of fanatic :p.
I make a game of cultivating good retorts to the silly challenges we get from non-Catholics. I’ll share a few: “Well, all I need is the Bible.” [Would you mind showing me where it says that in the Bible?] “Well, at least I don’t worship Mary.” * “Why don’t you people believe the Bible?” [In the Bible Jesus says, “This is my body, which is given up for you.” The Catholic Church teaches, and I believe, that the Eucharist is really his body. Does your church? Do you?] Blessings, ~Br. Carlo~*
 
Hello! I am going to start RCIA in a couple weeks. I am currently Lutheran, but I have been wanting to convert to Catholicism for awhile. I’d like to hear from converts about your experience, and whether you are happy now.

Also, how do you deal with negative comments from family, friends, etc. about the beliefs of Catholicism, such as not using contraception to prevent pregnancy? Thanks :o
YES!
I’ve been Catholic for a little over a year, and been attending Catholic Mass for 2 years, and I honestly could not imagine going back to my Protestant upbringing.
 
I’m starting RCIA in 2 days, and i’ll be Catholic on paper in about a year’s time. I don’t regret it one bit. For me, it was a long time coming. So yeah, i am happy to be here. 😃

Good luck in your journey!
 
Welcome home to those starting RCIA!!!

I couldn’t be happier that I converted. There are still a few questions that I need to have answered, but they aren’t serious enough for me to run back to my Baptist church.
 
YES!! YES, YES, YES, YES, YES!! I LOVE BEING CATHOLIC!!!

As for how I deal with negative comments, it’s a combination of charitable instruction, a thick skin and the recognition that they arise from ignorance of and anger at the Church. Recently I’ve discovered the utility of the phrase “I understand how an outsider might think that the Church’s position is arbitrary, but I’ve studied it very carefully and can assure you that it’s not.”
 
happy as happy could be. I just say my sex life is none of their business.
According to Humanae Vitae and Theology of the Body, both authoritative but not with infallible charism, my sex life, as you call it, is the Church’s business. Perhaps you are different from the rest of us.
 
Hello! I am going to start RCIA in a couple weeks. I am currently Lutheran, but I have been wanting to convert to Catholicism for awhile. I’d like to hear from converts about your experience, and whether you are happy now.

Also, how do you deal with negative comments from family, friends, etc. about the beliefs of Catholicism, such as not using contraception to prevent pregnancy? Thanks :o
I am a convert. I come from a family line of Lutherans, though we were not a practicing family at all, except when my grandmother lived with us in my very young years. The bulk of my life was spent alternately in various sects of Mahayana Buddhism and dabbling in various new age stuff like Carlos Castaneda, Jane Roberts, The Urantia Book, Edgar Cayce, T. Lobsang Rampa, Dianetics (Scientology), etc… My wife was an atheist. I didn’t feel called by Jesus Christ until I was in my late 40’s, after a series of discussions with a Methodist friend at work, and didn’t find myself in RCIA (with my wife) until I was 48 years old. I was confirmed at the Easter Vigil of 2006, and watched in tears as my atheist wife was baptized, and confirmed, and then joined with my wife, and our parish for first eucharist. So…six years into our new life, and I can honestly say that we are both happier than we have ever been in our lives, and this is saying a great deal, since we are at the age that a good number of things begin to go wrong in a persons life. We haven’t been spared any rain, but knowing that we are members of the mystical body of Christ makes all the difference in the world.

As to the positions of the Church…they are not popular. We just speak honestly, and openly, and explain the Church positions the best we can without trying to come off holier than thou. Honesty is the best policy. If you’re asking, is there an easy way to avoid arguments, or being uncomfortable sometimes? Well, no. It is what it is. If you’re a faithful and obedient Catholic, you’re bound to draw reactions from those who are not which will very from head scratching, (my close family), to hostility, (people who flip us off, and yell obscenities at us while we pray the Rosary in front of Planned Parenthood on Monday mornings. It’s part and parcel of the whole package. Truth in advertising, I had a vasectomy in my late 20’s, and by the time I became Catholic, birth control wasn’t much of an issue, other than I was able to bring it to the sacrament of reconciliation, and square myself with the Lord. It wasn’t gotten in sin, because I didn’t know that I was doing an evil act at the time. In fact my peers and parents made me feel like it was evil NOT to get one, back in those days. Remember…my wife and I are late converts, and we’re the only Catholics in either family tree that we are aware of. Even through Ancestry.com. Whole point is…the birth control hasn’t been much of an issue with family and friends. Just strangers in front of clinics.
 
I have been Catholic for about a year and a half. In my case, I have my days when I’m happy I changed denominations and there are days when I get frustrated with the Catholic Church. Becoming Catholic is a personal choice and although I’m at peace with my decision, I struggle with it because when I joined the church, a lot of spiritual changes also occurred for example, I feel in love with evangelical worship, evangelism, witnessing that most Catholics around, don’t know what to do with me. In my heart, I’m very much a charismatic Catholic which is great if one lives in an area where the Charistmatic church is very vibrant but in my case, it isn’t so I’m the odd ball. Which is fine. I know God has great things.
 
I am a convert. I come from a family line of Lutherans, though we were not a practicing family at all, except when my grandmother lived with us in my very young years. The bulk of my life was spent alternately in various sects of Mahayana Buddhism and dabbling in various new age stuff like Carlos Castaneda, Jane Roberts, The Urantia Book, Edgar Cayce, T. Lobsang Rampa, Dianetics (Scientology), etc… My wife was an atheist. I didn’t feel called by Jesus Christ until I was in my late 40’s, after a series of discussions with a Methodist friend at work, and didn’t find myself in RCIA (with my wife) until I was 48 years old. I was confirmed at the Easter Vigil of 2006, and watched in tears as my atheist wife was baptized, and confirmed, and then joined with my wife, and our parish for first eucharist. So…six years into our new life, and I can honestly say that we are both happier than we have ever been in our lives, and this is saying a great deal, since we are at the age that a good number of things begin to go wrong in a persons life. We haven’t been spared any rain, but knowing that we are members of the mystical body of Christ makes all the difference in the world.

As to the positions of the Church…they are not popular. We just speak honestly, and openly, and explain the Church positions the best we can without trying to come off holier than thou. Honesty is the best policy. If you’re asking, is there an easy way to avoid arguments, or being uncomfortable sometimes? Well, no. It is what it is. If you’re a faithful and obedient Catholic, you’re bound to draw reactions from those who are not which will very from head scratching, (my close family), to hostility, (people who flip us off, and yell obscenities at us while we pray the Rosary in front of Planned Parenthood on Monday mornings. It’s part and parcel of the whole package. Truth in advertising, I had a vasectomy in my late 20’s, and by the time I became Catholic, birth control wasn’t much of an issue, other than I was able to bring it to the sacrament of reconciliation, and square myself with the Lord. It wasn’t gotten in sin, because I didn’t know that I was doing an evil act at the time. In fact my peers and parents made me feel like it was evil NOT to get one, back in those days. Remember…my wife and I are late converts, and we’re the only Catholics in either family tree that we are aware of. Even through Ancestry.com. Whole point is…the birth control hasn’t been much of an issue with family and friends. Just strangers in front of clinics.
I became Catholic at age 55 (about 10 years ago) The only thing I’m not happy about is that I didn’t know being Catholic was going to be so cool! I also am not too happy with people (clergy as well as lay) who say the Church is “out of date” I refer to a high ranking cardinal who just died a few days ago who said the Church is at least 200 years out of date. See msnbc.msn.com/id/48876172/ns/world_news-europe Cardinal Carlo Martini
 
I converted in 2010 and I am very happy with my decision. The most difficult part came after conversion. I had read the great works of Catholicism. I had great conversations with wonderful saintly people. I was introduced to a very faithful and orthodox parish. I spent a lot of time on EWTN and CAF. And then I moved and was introduced to a whole other type of Catholic parish, National Catholic Reporter Catholics, the kind that do not believe in sin and that confession is a kind of like therapy, up with gay marriage, down with the male priesthood, down with priests altogether. All this has made me something of a borderline traditionalist. Convert because you believe. Do not convert simply to surround your secular ideology with candles and incense.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top