Catholic heresies?

  • Thread starter Thread starter hoosierdaddy
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
From Boettners list

Note:-- Nor is there any mention in Scripture, nor in history, that Peter ever was in Rome, much less that he was pope there for 25 years; Clement, 3rd bishop of Rome, remarks that there is no real 1st century evidence that Peter ever was in Rome."

Was Peter in Rome?
From CA Library from link above
Boettner is also wrong when he claims “there is no allusion to Rome in either of [Peter’s] epistles.” There is, in the greeting at the end of the first epistle: “The Church here in Babylon, united with you by God’s election, sends you her greeting, and so does my son, Mark” (1 Pet. 5:13, Knox). Babylon is a code-word for Rome. It is used that way multiple times in works like the Sibylline Oracles (5:159f), the Apocalypse of Baruch (2:1), and 4 Esdras (3:1). Eusebius Pamphilius, in The Chronicle, composed about A.D. 303, noted that “It is said that Peter’s first epistle, in which he makes mention of Mark, was composed at Rome itself; and that he himself indicates this, referring to the city figuratively as Babylon.”
The reason the city of Rome was not mentioned specifically was the Peter was a wanted man. Mail was read by Roman officials and it would have been unsafe to mention his whereabouts specifically.

God Bless,
Maria
 
Aren’t “allowed to?” By whom, the theology police? You don’t know much about Catholic dissenters and what happens to them, do you? In this day and age, I’ll tell you–nothing.

And no Catholic apologist worth his salt cares a fig about winning or losing agruments. We only care about what is true–and that’s all!
(Edited by Moderator). Nothing happens to Catholic dissenters…today…in this country. You don’t know much about Ireland do you?

Funny you should say that. Because I woke up this morning and prayed to God that I would seek the truth, I would share the truth I know, and that I would not be concerned about winning or losing arguments. But this Catholic today seemed to be. I’m still waiting for him to “defeat” me. Great…you only care about what is true too? Sola Scriptura…👍
 
Indeed, the Church has fought heresies all down the centuries, with many of its members paying with their blood to defend many of the doctrines you take for granted. Just so you know.

Oh of course it’s fought heresies at the same time ignoring its own! How many Protestants paid for their defence of the truth with THEIR blood? Huh? I take no doctrine for granted. My Saviour died for me so that I could have eternal life. Your teaching against this is rank heresy! My Protestant brethren died so that I could read the Bible in my own language! Just so you know…and you did say you like to know the truth. You’ve been told it. Do with it what you will. End of discussion.
 
Here’s a heresy for ya. Purgatory. That is a gross affront to Jesus Christ and His death. In fact, its another gospel.
I won’t get into this one here since you have a thread about purgatory you started yourself.

If you would like, I could make a new thread and transfer the posts I made about the papcy? That way others who are more knowledgable than I could speak directly to this issue, they may not find it here under the general title of “Catholic heresies”.

Just let me know and I would be glad to start a thread devoted just to the papacy and the claims in the Boettner list:)

Your sister in Christ,
Maria
 
To those who have been civil, thank you. To those who haven’t, nice chattin’ with ya but the chattin’ over.
 
You WON’T admit if something is heretical because a) you aren’t allowed to
You really don’t know anything about Catholicism if you think that. There are currently at least FIVE men, and probably more, out there claiming that they are Pope, and not Benedict XVI in Rome. They all certainly still think they’re Catholics, and have decent sized followings too, for the most part.

As for Rome - it has excommunicated some if not all of them, true. Which simply means that is has pronounced the self-evident fact that they’re out of communion with Rome, as are all Protestants, Orthodox, Jews and Muslims etc.

Does that mean they’re damned to Hell? The Church has absolutely no right or
inclination to pronounce on the state of the souls of individuals, since it cannot read minds and damnation very much depends on a person’s interior state.

Does it mean they’re no longer Catholic? Harder to say. The Orthodox and many Protestants are still quite happy to say the creed professing faith in one catholic church. Certainly we all have different interpretations of the word though.
b) you wouldn’t want to admit a Protestant beat you. 👍
It’s not exactly a game you know, and I pity you if you think it is. It IS a search for the fullness of truth, upon which we and you are staking our immortal souls. Not a crapshoot.

We are all called to worship ‘in Spirit and in truth’, are we not? And truth isn’t contradictory or relative. There is one God, one Christ, one Church, one Truth. That’s why anyone (including you) who believes they have found that truth is willing to vigorously defend it.
 
Would any Catholic on this site like to own up and admit to anything they find difficult (or feel unable to agree with) about Catholic theology? It’s just a question? I question some Catholic beliefs.🙂

There might already be a thread on it, I’ve not been on here long you see!
 
Hey Maria, feel free to do whatever you’d like.

I’m just extremely angry at the way some of these people have been talking, especially since I was challenged to start this thread. I think I should leave.
 
Hi,

Hoosier I like what you wrote for your occupation:thumbsup:

I have a question for catholics. What is baptism of bells?? I have never hear of this.
 
It’s not exactly a game you know, and I pity you if you think it is. It IS a search for the fullness of truth, upon which we and you are staking our immortal souls. Not a crapshoot.

I understand that and fully agree. I was talking in jest. I wonder if the guy who said I would lose the argument believes this too.

You don’t need to pity me as I don’t believe this. In fact, as I said I prayed this morning that I would speak truth for truth’s sake and not to win an argument. I spoke the truth; it is up to the Holy Spirit to do the work. I’m outta here…I know when I’m not wanted.
 
Hi,

Hoosier I like what you wrote for your occupation:thumbsup:

I have a question for catholics. What is baptism of bells?? I have never hear of this.
It’s just another term for a blessing that is given to Church bells, since it involves the use of Holy Water. It isn’t at all supposed to be an actual baptism (of course inanimate objects can’t be baptised! But they can be blessed)
 
Thankfully, you’re always civil. :rolleyes:

God Bless,
Michael
Yes, I am when people are civil with me. Read your Bible and it will teach you how to be civil. :rolleyes: While you’re at it, learn what the gospel is. 😉
 
It’s not exactly a game you know, and I pity you if you think it is. It IS a search for the fullness of truth, upon which we and you are staking our immortal souls. Not a crapshoot.

I understand that and fully agree. I was talking in jest. I wonder if the guy who said I would lose the argument believes this too.

You don’t need to pity me as I don’t believe this. In fact, as I said I prayed this morning that I would speak truth for truth’s sake and not to win an argument. I spoke the truth; it is up to the Holy Spirit to do the work. I’m outta here…I know when I’m not wanted.
You’re always wanted here.

God Bless,
Michael
 
Hi,

Hoosier I like what you wrote for your occupation:thumbsup:

I have a question for catholics. What is baptism of bells?? I have never hear of this.
As I understand it it is an old blessing of Church bells by dipping them in Holy Water.

It would look like baptising them, dipping them in water or pouring water over them while saying a blessing and so the name stuck.

I could be wrong though.

A lone Raven

ps- Hoosier, you are always wanted here, we are just trying to speak the truth as well.
 
Would any Catholic on this site like to own up and admit to anything they find difficult (or feel unable to agree with) about Catholic theology? It’s just a question? I question some Catholic beliefs.🙂

There might already be a thread on it, I’ve not been on here long you see!
I wouldn’t say unable to agree, but sure there are lots of Catholic teachings that are difficult. So did the Apostles find a good many things difficult which Christ taught, so I’m not going to be scared off of any Catholic belief just because it’s not easy.
 
Hey Maria, feel free to do whatever you’d like.

I’m just extremely angry at the way some of these people have been talking, especially since I was challenged to start this thread. I think I should leave.
Please don’t:) . Many here would miss you.

I will start a new thread specifically to the papacy and Boettner’s claim.

If need be, you can abandon this thread. We can start a new thread about Mary and other issues as you feel ready.

God Bless,
Maria
 
Yes, I am when people are civil with me. Read your Bible and it will teach you how to be civil. :rolleyes: While you’re at it, learn what the gospel is. 😉
Thankfully, I have been civil with you. But thank you for your Christian charity and civilty that is so vividly expressed in this post.

God Bless,
michael
 
More disrespect. Nothing happens to Catholic dissenters…today…in this country. You don’t know much about Ireland do you?
I meant no disrepect. I’m sorry my words came across that way to you. But believe me, if I had wanted to be truly disrepectful I would have made sure you knew it 😛 , but since I don’t believe in being disrepectful and did not at all have that in mind, take my word for it that I wasn’t trying to be. 😉

I know nothing about Ireland except that it is losing its faith for moderism and all it’s blandishments just like many another Western country. Dissidents in the USA are more likely to be promoted to heads of universities here, I’m afraid, which is what I was referring to.
Funny you should say that. Because I woke up this morning and prayed to God that I would seek the truth, I would share the truth I know, and that I would not be concerned about winning or losing arguments. But this Catholic today seemed to be. I’m still waiting for him to “defeat” me. Great…you only care about what is true too? Sola Scriptura…👍
If sola scriptura were true, as I once thought it was, I would still be holding to it with all my being. I was extremely dedicated to my former Protestant Pentecostal sect, devoting many years of my life to its cause. How and why I came into the Church had everything to do with seeking for the truth and nothing but the truth. Believe me, the last place on earth I wanted to be or thought I’d ever be was in the Catholic Church.

I used to believe all sorts of things about the Church that simply aren’t true, but I looked into them for myself (there were no apologists to help me at that time) and found out otherwise. That’s how it was for me–what you will do/decide to do is entirely between you and God. 🙂
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top