L
LilyM
Guest
Hello - St Thomas More and Bishop Gardiner, among many others, were put to death by Henry VIII for not accepting a required article of the Anglican faith - that the King is head of the Church in England. Assent to this particular article of faith was required by civil law, namely the Act of Supremacy if I remember rightly.It is not that I am disinterested in other events or other churches. But this is a Roman Catholic answer forum. I am therefore focused on the Roman Catholic Church and on what it has done, what is believes, what it teaches, etc. etc. This is perfectly normal. You see clearly (and there is simply no doubt of this) many modern Catholics believe the death penalty IS still an appropriate punishment for heresy, as did 2 papally approved writers on this subject in the 20th century.
Now, I must change the subject since you seem determined to talk of other issues. You write -
What you will find–and yet you still have not addressed this, is that civil governments for non-Catholic Christian countries or kingdoms did exactly the same. The churches (non-Catholic Christian or Catholic Christian) made the judgment as to what was ‘heresy’ (which is why Anglicans found Catholics ‘heretics’ in England, and why the royal government put those Catholics to death).
So I am not going to ask ‘when did the Anglican Church change their policy on executing heretics’ as though the "anglican church’ had a policy requiring this and as though ‘their church’ killed Catholics’
Well, you make a series of very clumsy mistakes in writing this.
Let me ask you a simple question. When did the government of England kill Catholics ? Please tell us this ? In which year were they put to death as heretics ? Such talk is sheer fiction.
But if you can provide some evidence for your story, please do. I think 400 years of such misinformation deserves a fair and honest discussion. The Roman Catholic Church (and Roman Catholics) were never, at any time in the whole of English history arrested and killed for being Catholics. Nor were they killed for heresy.
But if you can show evidence to the contrary, please do. I look forward to your reply.
Thanks
How is that, however, not execution for perceived heresy from the tenets of the Anglican faith in exactly the same vein that you have perceived in the Catholic church? And were these two gentlemen not Catholic? And were those who punished them not doing so in promotion of the Anglican faith?
I am surprised that you could be so ignorant of history and yet presume to judge how the Catholic church has or has not acted historically.