Catholic movies you'd like to see

• Thread starter Thread starter rubbersoul
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
R

rubbersoul

What movies would you like to see on the big screen that had the attention to detail that “Passion of the Christ” seemed to have. I know a lot of Catholic stories and biographies have been done “badly” , but feel free to say “I wish they would remake…”

God Bless,

Chad

I would like to see a story starting from the Resurrection… that shows the start of the Church and the Apostles journeys to start local Churches around the mediteranean and beyond. Maybe even extend to the 300s A.D.

I would like to see a Catholic Movie with a more detailed depiction of the Eastern Catholic Churches of Eastern Europe during the early 20th century. These are the times of the Nazis and the Communists and the persecutions of the priests and bishops and there are some Saints that come out of this era. St. Theodore Rumstat of Muchova. (Basically the Saints that JP2 cannonized in 2001.

Actually,
Mel Gibson forgot a part of the Passion that I would have liked to see.
In the Gospel of Matthew, I believe there is an account that then Jesus died on the Cross, that the ‘graves were opened and the dead walked throughout Jerusalem.’ Now what a spooky scene that could have been captured on film! :eek:

I am a huge “Godfather” fan. Yes, I know the Church isn’t painted very well in the movie, but I think that Catholics who subscribe to an ideology that is similar to Don Michael Corleone (read John Kerry, et al.) really need to watch the batism scene a few times. I think that is one of the darkest, and yet theatrically powerful, scenes in any film ever. If a Catholic is that much of a hypocrite, saying, as the Godfather of his sister’s child, that he denounces Satan yet orders killings (and murdered people himself) it shows how contradicting the Church with “your own” truths leads to a downward spiral of yourself, your family, and others around you (remember in #2 where his wife has an abortion, he kills his brother, and then in #3 where he attempts to make the family legitimate).

If you have never seen “The Godfather” go out and get it tonight. Great cinema.

Oh yeah, I would really like to see a film on St. Catherine and the Blessed Mother’s visits to her.

I’d love to see a movie of the Maccabean revolt or of the book of Tobit. I don’ t know that anyone has made either (though rumor has it Gibson has considered doing a Maccabees film).

The First Crusade would certainly provide some interesting cinematic material, from Pope Urban II’s impassioned sermon at Clermont, to the fall of Jerusalem. [Bl. Urban II could be played by Mel Gibson] In this political climate it would probably be the least appropriate time to revisit the theme. :eek:

In the meanwhile, Mel should get out and make The Passion of the Christ II: The Acts of the Apostles.

I suspect however the Left Behind books will be the next big Christian themed movie, even though the first one came out 4 years ago on a straight-2-video basis.

As far as real movies go, I’ve always enjoyed “Going My Way” and “The Bells of St. Mary’s” (and just about every other movie Bing Crosby made). The only problem is, in the 1940s a fun, laid-back but orthodox priest was probably a kind of delightful surprise. These days, fun, laid-back priests are a dime a dozen, but orthodox ones are tought to come by.

“Boys Town” with Spencer Tracey and Mickey Rooney was good. A few years ago Leelee Sobieski starred in a TV movie about Joan of Ark that was actually not bad, in spite of a few rough edges.

I understand there is a video movie about St. Therese in progress – I’m excited about seeing that.

As far as hypothetical movies go, St. Francis of Assisi might be a good subject – the soldier who becomes a soldier for Christ. The only caveat I’d make is that I wouldn’t want to see a movie that made him into a New Age pansy. St. Augustine could be interesting too.

In general, I’m leery of Bible-based, because they always have to feature non-scriptural bits and pieces to fill in the blanks, and these often reflect the script writer or director’s biases. However, “The Ten Commandments” and “Ben Hur” were well worth seeing.

I thought of one last night when I was going to bed. St Ignatius of Loyola. I understand that Ignatius was a soldier who was injured on the battlefield. While in the hospital he read a book on christianity and eventually became a great saint.

I also think a good one would be “St John of the Cross” with the narrarator being St John and talking about the Dark night.

40.png
Esperanto99:
The First Crusade would certainly provide some interesting cinematic material, from Pope Urban II’s impassioned sermon at Clermont, to the fall of Jerusalem. [Bl. Urban II could be played by Mel Gibson] In this political climate it would probably be the least appropriate time to revisit the theme. :eek:

In the meanwhile, Mel should get out and make The Passion of the Christ II: The Acts of the Apostles.

I suspect however the Left Behind books will be the next big Christian themed movie, even though the first one came out 4 years ago on a straight-2-video basis.
The Left Behind Movies were complete BOMBS :eek:
If a movie about the Book of Revelation is to be done, it would suprise the entire Protestant World, since the movie would be based on Scott Hahn’s The Lamb’s Supper!

Another film idea would be Constantine on his early life as a military leader who was outnumbered until in a dream he recieved the image of the ChiRo and placed it on all the army’s banners and shields.
The perscutions of the Catholic Church in the first 5 centuries would make the most exciting cinema material and a lesson for us today!

Glory be to Jesus Christ! Glory to Him Forever!

I think a motion picture on the life of Pope John Paul up to his papal election would be fascinating. I’ve been reading through George Weigel’s biography of him and I always find his early life more interesting than his life since his election in 1978. Perhaps that is because his life as pope is already so seemingly well known, at least in comparison to his life before.

In light of our experience of him as the leader of the Church it would be interesting to see a dramatization of his life in Krakow under the Nazi regime and his life and ministry as a priest and a bishop under the communists.

Additionally, I think that this would be a good way for people to encounter the truths to which he bears witness. It would help to portray the drama of the moral life, a drama which he has emphasized so often.

Who would play him? Hmmm… Good question… I’ll have to do some thinking on that one.

40.png
Edwin1961:
Actually,
Mel Gibson forgot a part of the Passion that I would have liked to see.
In the Gospel of Matthew, I believe there is an account that then Jesus died on the Cross, that the ‘graves were opened and the dead walked throughout Jerusalem.’ Now what a spooky scene that could have been captured on film! :eek:
Um… WHERE in the book of Mark is that quote?

I, myself, think that the tearing of the veil in the temple, the earthquake, the sheer amount of blood and water gushing from Jesus’ side alone were enough?!?

Also, I don’t think that dead people walking through Jerusalem was what happened, at all. At least, not literally! They were all in Gehenna, waiting for the Messiah like the rest of us.

I’d like to see a film based on the life of St. Edmund Campion. I know it wouldn’t be very Politically Correct in our ecumenical age…but what an exciting, stirring story it would make.

Alternatively–but in a similar vein–I’d like to see a film dramatization of Msgr. Robert Hugh Benson’s Come Rack, Come Rope, about Recusant Catholics in Elizabethan England. The story’s very suspenseful, and the atmosphere of terror is nearly unbearable. Lots of cinematic possibilities there!

As for remakes…how about a remake of MGM’s 1950s-vintage flick about Fatima? It was a travesty. The true story is much more interesting, but Hollywood never seems to figure that out. 😛

BTW, my favorite religious movie, outside of Passion of the Christ, is The Song of Bernadette. I’m also partial to the stop-action-animation TV movie The Miracle Maker (about Jesus).

Happy FD of Pope St. Gregory VII!

ZT

I’d like to see a movie about Miguel Pro, a Mexican Jesuit priest who minstered to the mexican people when being a preist was illegal. He had a great since of humor. In fact one story that comes to mind was when he was in a home celebrating Mass when soldiers knocked on the door demanding that there was a preist there. Fr Pro answered the door, insisted there was no preist there, and invited them in to prove there was no priest; of course it was him there were looking for. 👍

For those of you who don’t know, Fr Pro was eventually found and martyred. It would be a great story for the film. Just who would play the part?

I would like to see a movie about some split from the Church, such as Luther or Henry VIII.

Maybe it could highlight why they split, but make it a postive movie about the Catholic Church.

Maybe it could call some children home.

But then, if the Jews cried foul about Mel’s movie, imagine the Anglicans and Lutherans in uproar about this type of portrayal.

Someone mentioned a movie Passion 2 - the Acts of the Apostles.

I like that.

But then as someone else said, the director gets to share his views with the pieces that cant be filled in with dialogue.

However, I think Mel did a great job of portraying how and what was said between Simon of Cyrene and Jesus, even just the way Simon looked at Jesus.
I could really see through that actors display, that Simon believed, once they got to the top.

Love Kellie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back