Catholic political influence in Georgia?

• Thread starter Thread starter MargaretCortona
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
40.png
MargaretCortona:
The Metro section of today’s Atlanta Journal Constitution has an interesting column about the growing political influence of Catholics here in Georgia, focusing primarily on what the columnist sees as our governor’s courting of the growing Catholic vote and the potential political influence of our Archbishop Wilton Gregory.

ajc.com/wednesday/content/epaper/editions/wednesday/metro_24e21a1fa03ba05c0013.html
Could you paste the story itself? You need a password/codename/etc. to access the webpage.

40.png
Ahimsa:
Could you paste the story itself? You need a password/codename/etc. to access the webpage.
You beat me to the same request. Thanks.

Well, I wanted to do that in the first place, but then I read the forum rules, which include…
  • Do not paste articles from web sites into a post. If you wish to reference an article on the web, link to its web address, instead.
  • Do not post copyrighted material.
(So, am I being scrupulous?? :confused: ) The AJC used to be open on the web, but now they joined so many other papers in this registration thing… Annoying… For whatever it’s worth, I’ve been registered with them for a while, and haven’t gotten any extra e-mails beyond the initial sign-up confirmation…

sigh…

40.png
MargaretCortona:
Well, I wanted to do that in the first place, but then I read the forum rules, which include…
  • Do not paste articles from web sites into a post. If you wish to reference an article on the web, link to its web address, instead.
  • Do not post copyrighted material. (So, am I being scrupulous?? :confused: )
No, you are not being too scrupulous. However, if the article is not long, or key excerpts can be extracted, it provides for more readers of your post to understand the issue raised and respond right away with less hassle which enables greater discussion of the topic. So, while there is a “rule,” it is a judgement call on the part of the topic originator whether to follow the rule hard and fast, or amend it because it makes sense.🙂

How things have changed since in grew up in south georgia in the 50’s. How is arch-bishop Gregory doing down there? I liked him when he was up here in Illinois

Key excerpts:

Two of the most overlooked appearances at the state Capitol this session have been made by the same man — the Most Rev. Wilton Gregory, Atlanta’s new archbishop. He filled in for Zell Miller as the keynote speaker at this year’s anti-abortion rally. A week later, Gregory was at the side of Sonny Perdue, as the governor again launched his campaign for a “faith and family services” amendment to the state constitution.

So what’s the payoff for the governor? The future, possibly. From 1990 to 2000, the number of Catholic “adherents” of the Atlanta archdiocese doubled to 301,488. Demographers think it could do so again by 2010. There’s not a denomination in Georgia that can match that growth rate.

Catholics in Georgia?

what do the two of them talk about 😉

40.png
Ahimsa:
The future, possibly. From 1990 to 2000, the number of Catholic “adherents” of the Atlanta archdiocese doubled to 301,488. Demographers think it could do so again by 2010. There’s not a denomination in Georgia that can match that growth rate.
But, plenty of denominations that beat their numbers. 301 thou out of 8.1 mil Georgians is just 3.7% of the population. We will have to go a long way to come near the number of Baptists and Assemblies of God folks down there.

Steve Andersen:
Catholics in Georgia?

what do the two of them talk about 😉
Apparently, there are enough in Atlanta to have a meeting. But, you can be sure that in the rural counties, people will come out of their houses just to see what a Catholic looks like.

40.png
MargaretCortona:
  • Do not post copyrighted material.
(So, am I being scrupulous?? :confused: ) The AJC used to be open on the web, but now they joined so many other papers in this registration thing… Annoying… For whatever it’s worth, I’ve been registered with them for a while, and haven’t gotten any extra e-mails beyond the initial sign-up confirmation…

sigh…
yes you are but hey I understand 🙂

40.png
Richardols:
Apparently, there are enough in Atlanta to have a meeting. But, you can be sure that in the rural counties, people will come out of their houses just to see what a Catholic looks like.
Whats up buddy 😛

We have a lot of good catholics here…and our vocations are high.
Now that we have what I suspect is a liberal sort of Archbishop…who knows… but we’re still at the stage of giving him the benefit of doubt.

Probably what we talk about in Tennessee.

Sausage gravy and biscuits. Except on Fridays :rolleyes:

I had heard a couple of years ago, there is suppose to be a Catholic college being built just outside of Atlanta.

40.png
Faustina:
Probably what we talk about in Tennessee.

Sausage gravy and biscuits. Except on Fridays :rolleyes:

I had heard a couple of years ago, there is suppose to be a Catholic college being built just outside of Atlanta.
yes…its coming along…Southern Catholic…should have a web page.

40.png
aimee:
We have a lot of good catholics here…and our vocations are high.
Now that we have what I suspect is a liberal sort of Archbishop…who knows… but we’re still at the stage of giving him the benefit of doubt.
Who is “we”? Sounds like a sort of vigilance committee.

Well, for one thing, I imagine the politicians might take some notice of the crowds which attend our annual Eucharistic Congresses held around the feast of Corpus Christi each year. This past year (the 9th annual), drew over 23,000 people to the International Convention Center for a day of speakers, Eucharistic procession, mass, confessions, etc… Even the AJC has trouble ignoring that many people!

Here’s a link to the Georgia Bulletin story about that (this one won’t require registration!! 😉 )

georgiabulletin.org/local/2004/06/17/2004_EC/

40.png
Richardols:
Who is “we”? Sounds like a sort of vigilance committee.
:hmmm: vigilance committee…? well, we are aware of what goes on… :rolleyes:

The “we” are the Archdiocease of Atlanta Roman Catholics. :cool:

40.png
MargaretCortona:
Well, for one thing, I imagine the politicians might take some notice of the crowds which attend our annual Eucharistic Congresses held around the feast of Corpus Christi each year. This past year (the 9th annual), drew over 23,000 people to the International Convention Center for a day of speakers, Eucharistic procession, mass, confessions, etc… Even the AJC has trouble ignoring that many people!

Here’s a link to the Georgia Bulletin story about that (this one won’t require registration!! 😉 )

georgiabulletin.org/local/2004/06/17/2004_EC/
Yes, Margaret…I must agree…quite a turn out …wouldn’t you agree 🙂

40.png
Richardols:
But, plenty of denominations that beat their numbers. 301 thou out of 8.1 mil Georgians is just 3.7% of the population. We will have to go a long way to come near the number of Baptists and Assemblies of God folks down there.
Richard, You know not of what you speak. The 301,000 is for the Atlanta arch-diocese. The 8.1 mil is for the whole state. Catholics are in fact a minority but not as uncommon as you might think. If you took the time to visit the state you might even discover that most of the people are at or above average intelligence, don’t marry their sister and do have running water in their house. Some of them can even carry on an intelligent conversation. Also it is the quality not the quantity that counts. In Illinois we have lots of people who claim to be Catholic but are in fact anything but Catholic in that they support abortion, gay marriage, euthanasia, fetal stem cell research, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back