Catholic political influence in Georgia?

• Thread starter Thread starter MargaretCortona
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Quite a few Catholics in Atlanta, I was surprised to find out. There’s even a Tridentine/Traditional Latin Mass up near Alpharetta, I believe.

Steve Andersen:
Catholics in Georgia?
what do the two of them talk about 😉
LOL. 😉 Actually Georgia has an rather impressive Catholic heritage, particularly the city of Savannah. Casimir Pulaski, a Revolutionary War hero, was a Catholic immigrant from Poland who today is called “Father of the American Cavalry.”

Quite a few Irish Catholics settled in the Savannah area prior to the Civil War. An regiment of infantry called the Jasper Greens was raised in Savannah and fought for the Confederacy.

Father Whelan was an Irish priest serving the Diocese of Savannah at the outbreak of the War Between the States. He volunteered to serve as chaplain to CSA troops at Ft. Pulaski and was taken as a POW when the fort fell to Union forces. After being held over a year at Governor’s Island and Ft. Delaware, he returned to Savannah where he answered the plea to minister to the prisoners held at Andersonville. Whelan went to Andersonville on 16 June 1864 and he remained there for four months daily tending to the needs of prisoners in the stockade. After the war, Whelan publicly defended Capt. Wirz as an innocent scapegoat. His life was cut short by a lung disease he contracted at Andersonville and died on 6 February 1871. He was remembered by Confederate and Union soldiers alike as truly a “Good Samaritan.”

I remember back in the late 80’s when I was living in a small town in south Georgia how I was warned to not broadcast the fact that I am a Catholic. I am not going to name the town itself, but I will say that it’s in Appling County, those of you who have lived in Georgia will remember the legal problems that where going on in that area back then. The town had a small catholic chapel that my then boyfriend forbade me to even enter, he had eyes all over that darn town. I remember speaking with a member of that chapel, she told me that the priest who served there had been threatened! Of course that has been a long time ago, but when I travel thru south Georgia I still avoid that town.
Linda H.

Linda H.:
I remember back in the late 80’s when I was living in a small town in south Georgia how I was warned to not broadcast the fact that I am a Catholic. I am not going to name the town itself, but I will say that it’s in Appling County, those of you who have lived in Georgia will remember the legal problems that where going on in that area back then. The town had a small catholic chapel that my then boyfriend forbade me to even enter, he had eyes all over that darn town. I remember speaking with a member of that chapel, she told me that the priest who served there had been threatened! Of course that has been a long time ago, but when I travel thru south Georgia I still avoid that town.
Linda H.
Sounds like Bob Jones University.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back