• Thread starter Thread starter Teresa9
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
**Prayer
**+
“Through Him, with Him and in Him”

God is my Father

MY Father in Heaven, how sweet it is to know that You are my Father and that I am Your child!

Especially when the skies of my soul are cloudy and my cross weighs more heavily, I feel the need to repeat to You: Father, I believe in Your love for me!

Yes, I believe that You are a Father to me at every moment of my life, and that I am Your child!

I believe that You love me with an infinite love!

I believe that You are watching over me night and day and that not a hair falls from my head without Your permission!

I believe that, in Your infinite Wisdom, You know better than I what is good for me.

I believe that, in Your infinite power, You can bring good even out of evil.

I believe that, in Your infinite goodness, You make everything to the advantage of those who love You; even under the hands of those who strike me I kiss Your hand which heals!

I believe, but increase in me faith, hope and love!
Teach me always to see Your love as my guide in every event of my life.

Teach me to surrender myself to You like a baby in its mother’s arms.

Father, You know everything, You see everything, you know me better than I know myself; You can do everything, and You love me!

My Father, since it is Your wish that we should always turn to You, I come with confidence to ask You, together with Jesus and Mary… (here request the favour that you desire).

For this intention, and uniting myself to their Most Sacred Hearts, I offer You all my prayers, my sacrifices and mortifications, all my actions, and greater faithfulness to my duties ( 1 ).

Give me the light, the grace and the power of the Holy Spirit!

Strengthen me in this Spirit, that I may never lose Him, never sadden Him and never allow Him to become weaker in me.

My Father, I ask this in the name of Jesus, Your Son! And You, Jesus, open Your Heart and place in it my own, and, together with Mary’s, offer it to our divine Father! Obtain for me the grace that I need!

Divine Father, call all men to Yourself. Let all the world proclaim Your fatherly goodness and Your divine mercy!

Be a tender Father to me and protect me wherever I am, like the apple of Your eye. Make me always a worthy son/daughter; have mercy on me!

Divine Father, sweet hope of our souls, may You be known, and loved by all men! honoured

Divine Father, infinite goodness poured out on all peoples, may You be known, honoured and loved by all men!

Divine Father, beneficent dew of humanity, may You be known, honoured and loved by all men!

(Mother Eugenia)

Partial indulgence
  • GIRARD, Vicar Apostolic of Cairo
    9 October 1935
    Code:
             + JEAN, Cardinal VERDIER 
             Archbishop of Paris 
             8 May 1936
1 ] (If this prayer it to be recited as a novena, add: ‘I promise to be more generous, especially during these nine days, in a given circumstance, to such and such a person…’)

When I am unable to attend daily Mass this is one of my favorites.

Oh Holy Angel at my side, go to the church for me. Kneel in my place at Holy Mass where I desire to be.
At offertory in my stead, take all I am and own. And place it as a sacrifice upon the altar throne.
At Holy Consecrations bell adore with Serah’s love, our Jesus hidden in the Host, come down from heaven above.
Then pray for those we dearly love and those who cause us grief. That his sweet heart may rest on theirs and we his temple be.
Pray that this sacrifice may mankinds sin efface. Then bring us Jesus blessing home the pledge of every grace.

I just love this thread! Thank you, thank you!

After over 40 years of evangelical Christianity and “extemporaneous” prayers, I am so thrilled to be able to pray these glorious prayers prayed by saints and teachers.

And I love seeing how God is answering them.

Many of my favorites are already posted. The first prayer I memorized was the Anima Christi. I always say it after receiving Holy Communion.

Here is a prayer that I really like, attributed to Origen. It is to be prayed before you study the Bible.

“Lord, inspire us to read your Scriptures and to meditate upon them day and night. We beg you to give us real understanding of what we need, that we in turn my put its precepts into practice. Yet we know that understanding and good intentions are worthless unless rooted in your graceful love. So we ask that the words of Scripture may also be not just signs on a page, but channels of grace into our hearts.”

Keep posting, everyone. I will print this page off every few days and pray all these prayers.

Prayer Before a Crucifix

Behold, O kind and most sweet Jesus, I cast myself on my knees in your sight, and with the most fervent desire of my soul, I pray and beseech you that you would impress upon my heart lively sentiments of faith, hope and charity, with a true repentance for my sins, and a firm desire of amendment, while with deep affection and grief of soul I ponder within and mentally contemplate your five most precious wounds; having before my eyes that which David spoke in prophecy of you, O good Jesus: ‘They pierced my hands and my feet; they have numbered all my bones’.

I have a tiny book with the stations of the cross called “The Way of Love”. My favorite is the second station. Jesus accepts His cross.
Code:
        If you endure when you are beaten for doing 
        wrong, what credit is that?  But if you endure
        when you do right and suffer for it, you have
        God's approval.
                                      I Peter 2:20
Then the prayer for that station is:

Jesus, you were so strong, so brave, for me. You willingly and lovingly placed upon your shoulders the weight of my sins. Help me, Jesus, not only to accept, but to embrace the everyday crosses in my life. Help me to be more loving, knowing that loving with your love often involves sacrifice. In my weakness, let me call upon your strength to sustain me in the losses, the failures, the difficulties, and the rejections I encounter in my life.
O Lord, give me the fortitude to do the good, to reach out when I am tired, to go the extra mile. Help me also to balance my needs with the needs of others. Grant me the grace to accept your will for me without complaint. In you, Lord, I place my trust.
Amen

Theresa, the little prayer about
“Infant Jesus meek and Mild”
was my family’s prayer that was given to the pre-schoolers as their first prayer. Since I was the youngest in my family my brother and sister had “out-grown” the prayer when I became the age to learn it. All I ever learned was “Infant Jesus meek and mild. Look on me a little child”. Sadly, I never learned the second part…and now after all those years I finally read the rest of the prayer. Thank you. God Love you!

Prayer of St Francis of Assisi

Lord, make me a channel of your peace; where there is hatred, may I bring love; where there is injury, pardon; where there is darkness, light; and where there is sadness, joy. O divine Master, grant that we may not so much seek to be consoled as to console; to be understood as to understand; to be loved as to love; for it is in giving that we receive, it is in pardoning that we are pardoned, and it is in dying that we are born to eternal life. Amen.

Thanks again to everyone for posting their prayers. Here’s a nice one to say before taking Communion:
Come, Oh blessed Savior, and nourish my soul with heavenly Food, the Food which contains every sweetness and every delight. Come, Bread of Angels, and satisfy the hunger of my soul. Come, glowing Furnace of Charity, and enkindle in my heart the flame of divine love. Come, Light of the World, and enlighten the darkness of my mind. Come, King of Kings, and make me obedient to your holy will. Come, loving Savior, and make me meek and humble. Come, Friend of the Sick, and heal the infirmities of my body and the weakness of my soul. Come, Good Shepherd, my God and My all, and take me to yourself.

Oh most holy Mother, Mary Immaculate, prepare my heart to receive my Savior

Dearest Ally

I had no idea when I posted that thread it would cause such a lovely thing to happen for someone…I am humbled and I am also so very pleased for you. My late Grandmother taught me that prayer as did my Mum and now I have taught it to my daughter. It’s beautiful and simple for children to learn. It also brings back lovely childhood memories of loving Jesus and our families. Thank you Ally for your posting kind words and your posting of your prayers. Much love and peace to you Ally, God Bless you and all xxxx

Litany of Humility

(for private devotion only)

Which His Eminence Cardinal Merry del Val was accustomed
to recite daily after the celebration of Holy Mass.

O Jesus! meek and humble of heart, hear me
From the desire of being esteemed,
From the desire of being loved,
From the desire of being extolled,
From the desire of being honored,
From the desire of being praised,
From the desire of being preferred,
From the desire of being consulted,
From the desire of being approved,
Deliver me, Jesus.
From the fear of being humiliated,
From the fear of being despised,
From the fear of suffering rebukes,
From the fear of being calumniated,
From the fear of being forgotten,
From the fear of being ridiculed,
From the fear of being wronged,
From the fear of being suspected,
Deliver me, Jesus.
That others may be loved more than I,
That others may be esteemed more than I,
That in the opinion of the world, others may increase,
and I may decrease
That others may be chosen and I set aside,
That others may be praised and I unnoticed,
That others may become holier than I, provided that I may
become as holy as I should,
Jesus, grant me the grace to desire it. Imprimatur: +James A. McNulty - Bishop of Paterson, N.J.

St Gertrude’s Guardian Angel Prayer

O most holy angel of God, appointed by God to be my guardian, I give you thanks for all the benefits which you have ever bestowed on me in body and in soul. I praise and glorify you that you condescended to assist me with such patient fidelity, and to defend me against all the assaults of my enemies. Blessed be the hour in which you were assigned me for my guardian, my defender and my patron. In acknowledgement and return for all your loving ministries to me, I offer you the infinitely precious and noble heart of Jesus, and firmly purpose to obey you henceforward, and most faithfully to serve God Amen.

The Prayer for Faith of Pope Paul VI:
Lord I believe: I wish to believe in Thee.

Lord, let my faith be full and unreserved, and let it penetrate my thought, my way of judging Divine things and human things.

Lord, let my faith be joyful and give peace and gladness to my spirit, and dispose it for prayer with God and conversation with men, so that the inner bliss of its fortunate possession may shine forth in sacred and secular conversation.

Lord, let my faith be humble and not presume to be based on the experience of my thought and of my feeling; but let it surrender to the testimony of the Holy Spirit, and not have any better guarantee than in docility to Tradition and to the authority of the Magisterium of Holy Church. Amen.

Prayer to the Wounded Heart of Jesus

O my Most Loving and Gentle Jesus, I desire with all the affections of my heart, that all beings created

and uncreated, should praise Thee, honor Thee and glorify Thee eternally for that sacred wound wherewith Thy

divine side was rent. I deposit, enclose, conceal in that wound and in that opening in Thy Heart, my heart and all

my feelings, thoughts, desires, intentions and all the faculties of my soul. I entreat Thee, by the precious Blood and

Water that flowed from Thy Most Loving Heart, to take entire possesion of me, that Thou may guide me in all

**things. Consume me in the burning fire of thy holy Love, so that I may be so absorbed and transformed into Thee
that I may no longer be but one with Thee. Amen. **

– Lanspergius, the Carthusian

40.png
Teresa9:
Here’s a simple prayer to teach your children.

Infant Jesus meek and mild, look on me a little child, take my heart and bless it, that nothing evil may possess it. Amen.
That reminds me of a prayer my mother taught me as a child (I grew up Anglican). Back in the 1950s. I didn’t understand the words, to be honest - the English is a bit strange!

Gentle Jesus, meek and mild, look upon a little child. Pity my simplicity and suffer me to come to Thee. Amen.

She also told me once that I could talk to God/Jesus all the time and tell Him everything that was worrying me. I never forgot that. Yet, oddly, we were not a religious family at all. So it just goes to show what an influence a parent can have!

Nowadays, I love the Jesus Prayer, and I love to say, whenever I realise I am not focussed on God “My Lord and my God”

Prayer for a Family:
Oh dear Jesus,

I humbly implore You to grant Your special graces to our family. May our home be the shrine of peace, purity, love, labor and faith. I beg You, dear Jesus, to protect and bless all of us, absent and present, living and dead.

Oh Mary,

loving Mother of Jesus, and our Mother, pray to Jesus for our family, for all the families of the world, to guard the cradle of the newborn, the schools of the young and their vocations.

Blessed Saint Joseph,

holy guardian of Jesus and Mary, assist us by your prayers in all the necessities of life. Ask of Jesus that special grace which he granted to you, to watch over our home at the pillow of the sick and the dying, so that with Mary and with you, heaven may find our family unbroken in the Sacred Heart of Jesus. Amen

Here are a couple of prayers which are especially useful/appropriate for me:

Prayer to St. Jude (Patron of Hopeless Causes):
St. Jude, apostle of Christ, the Church honors and prays to you universally as the patron of hopeless and difficult cases. Pray for us in our needs. Make use, we implore you, of this powerful privelege given to you to bring visible and speedy help where help is needed. Pray that we humbly accept the trials and disappointments and mistakes which are a part of our human nature.

Let us see the reflection of the sufferings of Christ in our daily trials and tribulations. Let us see in a spirit of great faith and hope the part we even now share in the joy of Christ’s resurrection, and which we long to share fully in heaven. Intercede that we may again experience this joy in answer to our present needs if it is God’s desire for us. [Here make your request.]
Prayer to St. Rita (Patroness of impossible causes):
Holy Patroness of those in need, your pleadings before your divine Lord are irresistible. For your lavishness in granting favors you have been called the “Advocate of the Hopeless” and even of the “Impossible.” You are so humble, so mortified, so patient, and so compassionate in love for your crucified Jesus that you can obtain from him anything you ask if it is His Holy Will. Therefore, all confidently have recourse to you in the hope of comfort or relief.

Be propitious towards your suppliants and show your power with God in their behalf. Be generous with your favors now as you have been in so many wonderful cases for the greater glory of God, the spread of your devotion, and the consolation of those who trust in you.

We promise, if our petition is granted, to glorify you by making known your favor, and to bless you and sing your praises. Relying then on your merits before the Sacred Heart of Jesus, we ask of you [here mention your request.]

A QUARTER OF AN HOUR BEFORE THE BLESSED SACRAMENT

To please Me, dear child, it is not necessary to know much; all that is required is to love Me much, to be deeply sorry for ever having offended Me and desirous of being ever faithful to Me in future.

Speak to Me now as you would to your dearest friend. Tell Me all that now fills your mind and heart. Are there any you wish to commend to Me? Tell Me their names, and tell Me what you would wish Me to do for them. Do not fear, ask for much; I love generous hearts, which, forgetting themselves, wish well to others.

Speak to Me of the poor you wish to comfort; tell Me of the sick that you would wish to see relieved. Ask of Me something for those who have been unkind to you, or who have crossed you. Ask much for them all; commend them with all your heart to Me.

And ask Me many graces for yourself. Are there not many graces you would wish to name that would make you happier in yourself, more useful and pleasing to others, more worthy of the love of Me, the dearest Lord, Master and spouse of your soul? Tell Me the whole list of the favours you want of Me. Tell Me them with humility, knowing how poor you are without them, how unable to gain them by yourself; ask for them with much love, that they may make you more pleasing to Me. With all a child’s simplicity, tell Me how self’seeking you are, how proud, vain, irritable, how cowardly in sacrifice, how lazy in work, uncertain in your good resolutions, and then ask Me to bless and crown your efforts. Poor child, fear not, blush not at the sight of so many failings; there are Saints in heaven who had the faults you have; they came to Me lovingly, they prayed earnestly to Me, and My grace has made them good and holy in My sight.

You should be Mine, body and soul; fear not, therefore, to ask of Me gifts of body and mind, health, judgement, memory, and success - ask for them for My sake; that God may be glorified in all things. I can grant everything, and never refuse to give what may make a soul dearer to Me and better able to fulfil the will of God.

cont.

cont

Have you no plans for the future which occupy, perhaps distress, your mind? Tell Me your hopes, your fears. Is it about your future state? Your position among My creatures? Some good you wish to bring others? In what shall I help and bless your good will?

And for Me you must have - have you not? - some zeal, some wish to do good to the souls of others. Some, perhaps, who love and care for you, have ceased, almost, to know or care for Me. Shall I give you strength, wisdom and tact, to bring these poor ones close to My heart again? Have you failed in the past? Tell me how you acted; I will show you why you did not gain all you expected; rely on Me, I will help you, and will guide you to lead others to Me.

And what crosses have you, My dear child? Have they been many and heavy ones? Has someone caused you pain? Someone wounded your self-love? slighted you? injured you? Lay your head upon My breast, and tell Me how you suffered. Have you felt that some have been ungrateful to you, and unfeeling towards you? Tell Me all, and in the warmth of My heart you will find strength to forgive and even to forget that they have ever wished to pain you.

And what fears have you, My child? My providence shall comfort you. My love sustain you. I am never away from you, never can abandon you. Are some growing cold in the interest and love they had for you? Pray to Me for them; I will restore them to you if it be better for you and your sanctification.

Have you got some happiness to make known to Me? What happened since you came to Me last, to console you, to gladden and give you joy? What was it? a mark of true friendship you received? a success unexpected and almost unhoped for? a fear suddenly taken away from you? and did you remember the while, that in all it was My will, My love, that brought all that your heart has been so glad to have? It was My hand, My dear child, that guided and prepared all for you. Look to Me now, My child, and say: ‘Dear Jesus, I thank you’.

cont

cont

You will soon leave Me now; what promises can you make Me? Let them be sincere ones, humble ones, full of love and desire to please Me. Tell Me how carefully you will avopid every occassion of sin, drive from you all that leads to harm, and shun the world - the great deceiver of souls. Promise to be kind to the poor; loving, for My sake, to friends; forgiving to your enemies, and charitable to all, not in word alone and actions, but in your very thoughts. When you have little love for your neighbour whom you see, you are forgetting Me who am hidden from you.

Love all My Saints; seek the help of your holy patrons. I love to glorify them by giving you much through them. Love, above all, My own sweet glorious Mother - she is your mother; love her, speak to her often, and she will bring you to Me, and for her sake, I will love and bless you more each day.

Return soon to Me again, but come with your heart empty to the world, for I have many more favours to give, more than you can know of; bring your heart so that I may fill it with many gifts of My love.

My peace be with you.

Taken from CTS A Simple Prayer Book

God Bless you and much love and peace to you all

Teresa

MTRo1, You gave the memorare in English.
40.png
mtr01:
Here’s another traditional one…The Memorare:

Also here is this prayer in spanish:

Acuérdate, ¡oh piadosísima Virgen María!
que jamás se ha oído decir,
que ninguno de los que han acudido
a tu protección,
implorado tu asistencia y reclamado tu auxilio,
haya sido abandonado por ti.
Animado por esta confianza,
a ti también acudo
¡Oh Virgen, Madre de las Vírgenes!
Y aunque gimiendo bajo
el peso de mis pecados,
me atrevo a presentarme
ante tu presencia soberana.
No desprecies, ¡Oh Madre de Dios!,
mis súplicas; antes bien,
escúchalas y concédeme
segun tu voluntad, lo que te pido. Amén.

And here is the Memorare in Latin:
Memorare, O piisisima Virgo Maria,
Non esse auditum a saeculo,
quemquam ad tua currentem praesidia,
tua implorantem auxilia,
tua petentem suffragia,
esse derelictum.
Ego tali animatus confidentia,
ad te, Virgo Virginum,
Mater, curro, ad te venio,
coram te gemens
peccator assisto.