G
gurneyhalleck1
Guest
Hi Anna,
Many thanks as always, sister in Christ. There are MANY more of these I have found. Reading what so many of the Fathers had to say about the rock being “the confession” of who Christ is and not “Peter” himself blew a huge hole in my Catholic apologetics when I was a “hardcore” Catholic. Reading “The Primacy of Peter” really got me questioning. Looking at papal politics got me questioning even more, and of course the horrific pastoral care and lousy everything else in my area sure didn’t help! And reading how 10 different Catholics view infallibility 10 different ways reminded me of the chaos of Anglicanism. Sometimes I think the two aren’t that far off “internally.”
Augustine’s quotes IN FAVOR of the papacy that are in the library here at Catholic Answers are really from his earliest days as a Christian. He changed his views on Peter over time. The way the Catholic media only publishes pro-Petrine views is like how some Anglicans only talk about John Henry Newman BEFORE he converted to Catholicism. You’re only getting half the story, half the truth…he developed his views just like we do.
Many thanks as always, sister in Christ. There are MANY more of these I have found. Reading what so many of the Fathers had to say about the rock being “the confession” of who Christ is and not “Peter” himself blew a huge hole in my Catholic apologetics when I was a “hardcore” Catholic. Reading “The Primacy of Peter” really got me questioning. Looking at papal politics got me questioning even more, and of course the horrific pastoral care and lousy everything else in my area sure didn’t help! And reading how 10 different Catholics view infallibility 10 different ways reminded me of the chaos of Anglicanism. Sometimes I think the two aren’t that far off “internally.”
Augustine’s quotes IN FAVOR of the papacy that are in the library here at Catholic Answers are really from his earliest days as a Christian. He changed his views on Peter over time. The way the Catholic media only publishes pro-Petrine views is like how some Anglicans only talk about John Henry Newman BEFORE he converted to Catholicism. You’re only getting half the story, half the truth…he developed his views just like we do.
Gurney,
This is the best post I’ve seen on the forums regarding Peter and Mt.16:19. I was just reading last night about Peter’s confession and the fact that Christ is the “rock.”
Excellent Gurney!
Anna