H
HorseJumperCTS
Guest
I admit, I don’t know much about my faith. I am learning more every day, and I strive to learn much, much more.
I have heard: “The Catholic church, was one of the original 3 christian churches. But they were quickly overcome with corruption. Just about ever time they change some part of scripture, they lose some catholics who leave and start another church…”
Has the Church changed Scripture? Also, what do Catholics today think about the Inquisition? I am ashamed of the terrible things that happened during it, but I don’t know if this belief is shared by the rest of the Church?
Also, is this actually a part of the Jesuit oath? If so, can someone explain it? “I furthermore promise and declare that I will, when opportunity present, make and wage relentless war, secretly or openly, against all heretics, Protestants and Liberals, as I am directed to do, to extirpate and exterminate them from the face of the whole earth; and that I will spare neither age, sex or condition; and that I will hang, waste, boil, flay, strangle and bury alive these infamous heretics, rip up the stomachs and wombs of their women and crush their infants’ heads against the walls, in order to annihilate forever their execrable race. That when the same cannot be done openly, I will secretly use the poisoned cup, the strangulating cord, the steel of the poniard or the leaden bullet, regardless of the honor, rank, dignity, or authority of the person or persons, whatever may be their condition in life, either public or private, as I at any time may be directed so to do by any agent of the Pope or Superior of the Brotherhood of the Holy Faith, of the Society of Jesus.”
Sorry for the questions and for how misinformed I seem, but I just would like to learn more about why people hate the Church so that I can set them straight.
I have heard: “The Catholic church, was one of the original 3 christian churches. But they were quickly overcome with corruption. Just about ever time they change some part of scripture, they lose some catholics who leave and start another church…”
Has the Church changed Scripture? Also, what do Catholics today think about the Inquisition? I am ashamed of the terrible things that happened during it, but I don’t know if this belief is shared by the rest of the Church?
Also, is this actually a part of the Jesuit oath? If so, can someone explain it? “I furthermore promise and declare that I will, when opportunity present, make and wage relentless war, secretly or openly, against all heretics, Protestants and Liberals, as I am directed to do, to extirpate and exterminate them from the face of the whole earth; and that I will spare neither age, sex or condition; and that I will hang, waste, boil, flay, strangle and bury alive these infamous heretics, rip up the stomachs and wombs of their women and crush their infants’ heads against the walls, in order to annihilate forever their execrable race. That when the same cannot be done openly, I will secretly use the poisoned cup, the strangulating cord, the steel of the poniard or the leaden bullet, regardless of the honor, rank, dignity, or authority of the person or persons, whatever may be their condition in life, either public or private, as I at any time may be directed so to do by any agent of the Pope or Superior of the Brotherhood of the Holy Faith, of the Society of Jesus.”
Sorry for the questions and for how misinformed I seem, but I just would like to learn more about why people hate the Church so that I can set them straight.
