T
Truthstalker
Guest
From another thread, posed by 4given::
The second hesitation I have is that the Catholic church didn’t suddenly start calling itself the Catholic Church. For a long time it was the only church. So there needs to be a valid criterion (meaning, in part, one on all sides can reasonably agree to) by which to evaluate statements concerning the church as to whether a statement applies to the catholic church (meaning all of us) or the Catholic church (meaning only those who recognize papal authority). I will readily agree that there is no salvation outside the catholic church. I think Catholics agree with that. I think some Catholics will say there is no salvation outside the Catholic church. Big difference. And capitalization was a late invention, and most of the texts used were written long before the Orthodox-Catholic split. Resolution of this issue may be indeterminate.
Good, good question. As a question one hesitation I have in asking it is to change ‘RCC’ to ‘Catholic’ as ‘RCC’ refers only to the Roman rite, whereas Catholic refers to all Christians who recognize papal authority. When trolls wander in here they often use ‘RCC’ erroneously, which causes Catholic hackles to understandably rise: they see RCC used this way and they think “here’s a troll here only to cause trouble.”Question: how do you know that when the term “catholic” is used in historical records that it has anything to do with the RCC as we see it today? The word catholic means universal and Christ’s church is catholic in that it’s uinversal and includes all Christians. Just because the RCC took upon itself the name Catholic doesn’t necessarily prove the early church was the type of Catholic that we see today. It was catholic, small c, and consisted of all Christians. That’s my belief, anyway.
The second hesitation I have is that the Catholic church didn’t suddenly start calling itself the Catholic Church. For a long time it was the only church. So there needs to be a valid criterion (meaning, in part, one on all sides can reasonably agree to) by which to evaluate statements concerning the church as to whether a statement applies to the catholic church (meaning all of us) or the Catholic church (meaning only those who recognize papal authority). I will readily agree that there is no salvation outside the catholic church. I think Catholics agree with that. I think some Catholics will say there is no salvation outside the Catholic church. Big difference. And capitalization was a late invention, and most of the texts used were written long before the Orthodox-Catholic split. Resolution of this issue may be indeterminate.