Catholic versus catholic

  • Thread starter Thread starter Truthstalker
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess I can’t really follow that view. Being saved by Christ is being saved by the church? Is Christ the church? I though He was the Bridegroom and the church His bride. Hmmm…Aren’t all Christians together considered in Scripture to be Christ’s bride or church? Do we then save ourselves? To me to say that the Christians are saved by the church is the same as saying the church is saved by the church.
Keep in mind the word is bride not “brides.” There is only ONE Church, and this Church was compared to a marriage in that we are then one flesh. As it is, as well, with Christ and His Church. - one flesh.

‘He who hears YOU hears ME’… in one voice, not many; and definitely not contradictory.

Think about it, 4given. 😉
 
Keep in mind the word is bride not “brides.” There is only ONE Church, and this Church was compared to a marriage in that we are then one flesh. As it is, as well, with Christ and His Church. - one flesh.

‘He who hears YOU hears ME’… in one voice, not many; and definitely not contradictory.

Think about it, 4given. 😉
Exactly!

Just as in marriage a man and a woman become one flesh, the Church and Jesus are one. They must completely concur in everything taught. If one Church teaches one thing and another teaches another, who then can they both be teaching what Jesus taught?👍
 
Where did you get this idea? Was Judas a member of Christ’s church?

The Church is the spotless bride of Christ, consisting of very sinful mortal men. For one of these men to be saved, he must be saved by Christ. As the Church is the body of Christ, saying he must be saved by Christ includes a requirement that he must be saved by the Church. Exactly how this happens, I have no real idea.
Was Judas a member of the church? Now that’s something to ponder. He was a member of the covenant people of Israel, but he was a ‘son of perdition’ - the church is the ekklesia, those who were called out. Judas’ salvation or possibility of salvation has been debated before. He lived and died before the label “Christian” was developed.

Saying that the Church = Christ’s body does not mean Christ = the Church. It is not clear to me that this logical error has been successfully avoided.

Can you find a verse that states we are saved by the church and not by grace through faith? I doubt it. I expect the argument I get back to be that grace and faith are mediated by the Catholic church as the sole agent of mediation. But I cannot recall any Scriptural support for this. I am looking at this on Sola Scriptura terms. I will go further, though and ask for an ECF or CCC statement and references that says it same thing.
 
No they were not. There were Arian Christians, Monophysite Christians, etc.
I said the Catholic Church= the catholic Church
After the Council of Nicea, they still held on to the belief the there is ONE Catholic Church. To state that two Churches that believe in and reject things and are in direct contradiction, are one catholic Church is not true.
The Church is the body of Christ. It is physical just as his body was.
Church doctrine is not subject to time.
The Cathechism teaches that there is one and only one catholic Church. All baptized Christians are brought into her to some degree. But it is no true that the catholic Church is just a group of Christians who believe in Christ and that is it. No, there is much more than that. This is the relativism that people are being warned about.

I suggest you read this:
catholic.com/library/Salvation_Outside_the_Church.asp

If you read the website above, it will show you that the capitalization of the word Catholic was developed far earlier than you think.
I read the link. I do not see it making the point concerning capitalization.

I will concede that as far as I can determine, at the Council of Nicaea what they had in mind when they said “Catholic” OR “catholic” was synonymous, and is closer to what the Catholic church has in mind than what the Protestants read it as in the Nicene Creed. I will though argue that although the term has not changed meaning, and neither has the doctrine, the situation has. There is still one Church. It is broken into pieces: Catholics here, Orthodox there, a zillion Protestant splinters here and here and here. There was at that time no need to differentiate between Catholic and catholic.

I don’t think defining the Church on Protestant terms as being ‘just a group of Christians people who believe in Christ and that is it’ is relativism. The Presbyterian ecclesiology I have been exposed to is much more sophisticated and nuanced than that, and includes components of both the visible and invisible church in a way that - I think - could be interpreted in a manner acceptable to Catholics, once the terminological barrier between Catholics and Westminster-style Presbyterians is overcome. One thing I need to look into is my suspicion that the Westminster Confession of Faith is weirdly Catholic in many of its statements - when it is not busy outright denying Catholicism.
 
Christians at first did not call themselves Christians. They called themselves followers of the Way. When they called themselves Christians they did not cease to be followers of the Way. When Christians began to call themselves Catholics, they did so to distinguish themselves from the Christians who had developed heretical sects. They did not cease to be Christians because they called themselves Catholic.

from the Catholic Encyclopedia

*Among the Greeks it was natural that while Catholic served as the distinctive description of the one Church, the etymological significance of the word was never quite lost sight of. Thus in the “Catechetical Discourses” of St. Cyril of Jerusalem (c. 347) he insists on the one hand (sect. 26): “And if ever thou art sojourning in any city, inquire not simply where the Lord’s house is–for the sects of the profane also attempt to call their own dens, houses of the Lord–nor merely where the church is, but where is the Catholic Church. For this is the peculiar name of the holy body the mother of us all.” On the other hand when discussing the word Catholic, which already appears in his form of the baptismal creed, St. Cyril remarks: (sect. 23) "Now it [the Church] is called Catholic because it is throughout the world, from one end of the earth to the other."
*
 
What about Gnosticism? That was around well before Nicaea.

However, my question remains unanswered. Are there any Christians before the schism that had a similar idea to the meaning of the word catholic as do modern Protestants?
I’ll have to think about gnosticism and how it relates to this - off hand I would say they were so far from Christianity that they didn’t count as heretics. I may be wrong here.

I answered your question, I hope, a post or two ago. This thread is currently hopping - posts are coming up faster than I can reply.
 
Keep in mind the word is bride not “brides.” There is only ONE Church, and this Church was compared to a marriage in that we are then one flesh. As it is, as well, with Christ and His Church. - one flesh.

‘He who hears YOU hears ME’… in one voice, not many; and definitely not contradictory.

Think about it, 4given. 😉
one bride or one Bride? There is only one Church, and the issue here is whether it is the Catholic church or the catholic church. I find this to be circular reasoning.
 
Catechism of the Catholic Church:
What does “catholic” mean?

830 The word “catholic” means “universal,” in the sense of “according to the totality” or “in keeping with the whole.” the Church is catholic in a double sense: **First, the Church is catholic because Christ is present in her. "Where there is Christ Jesus, there is the Catholic Church."307 In her subsists the fullness of Christ’s body united with its head; this implies that she receives from him "the fullness of the means of salvation"308 which he has willed: correct and complete confession of faith, full sacramental life, and ordained ministry in apostolic succession. **the Church was, in this fundamental sense, catholic on the day of Pentecost309 and will always be so until the day of the Parousia.

831 Secondly, the Church is catholic because she has been sent out by Christ on a mission to the whole of the human race:310

All men are called to belong to the new People of God. This People, therefore, while remaining one and only one, is to be spread throughout the whole world and to all ages in order that the design of God’s will may be fulfilled: he made human nature one in the beginning and has decreed that all his children who were scattered should be finally gathered together as one… the character of universality which adorns the People of God is a gift from the Lord himself whereby the Catholic Church ceaselessly and efficaciously seeks for the return of all humanity and all its goods, under Christ the Head in the unity of his Spirit.311

vatican.va/archive/ENG0015/__P29.HTM
 
Exactly!

Just as in marriage a man and a woman become one flesh, the Church and Jesus are one. They must completely concur in everything taught. If one Church teaches one thing and another teaches another, who then can they both be teaching what Jesus taught?👍
There is only one church. Protestants deny that it can be defined solely as the visible structure of the Catholic church. Protestant churches typically regard themselves as parts of the One Church, not the whole church, as opposed to the exclusive nature of the Catholic Church’s assertion that it, and it alone, is the Church.
 
one bride or one Bride? There is only one Church, and the issue here is whether it is the Catholic church or the catholic church. I find this to be circular reasoning.
Its simple really. Jesus was not into polygamy.😛
 
Lactantius

“It is, therefore, the **Catholic Church **alone which retains true worship. This is the fountain of truth; this, the domicile of faith; this, the temple of God. Whoever does not enter there or whoever does not go out from there, he is a stranger to the hope of life and salvation. . . . Because, however, all the various groups of heretics are confident that they are the Christians and think that theirs is the Catholic Church, let it be known that this is the true Church, in which there is confession and penance and which takes a health-promoting care of the sins and wounds to which the weak flesh is subject” (Divine Institutes 4:30:11–13 [A.D. 307]).

Augustine

“We believe also in the holy Church, that is, the Catholic Church. For heretics violate the faith itself by a false opinion about God; schismatics, however, withdraw from fraternal love by hostile separations, although they believe the same things we do. Consequently, neither heretics nor schismatics belong to the Catholic Church; not heretics, because the Church loves God; and not schismatics, because the Church loves neighbor” (Faith and the Creed 10:21 [A.D. 393]).

“I do not hesitate to put the Catholic catechumen, burning with divine love, before a baptized heretic. Even within the Catholic Church herself we put the good catechumen ahead of the wicked baptized person . . . For Cornelius, even before his baptism, was filled up with the Holy Spirit [Acts 10:44–48], while Simon [Magus], even after his baptism, was puffed up with an unclean spirit [Acts 8:13–19]” (ibid., 4:21[28]).

“Whoever is separated from this Catholic Church, by this single sin of being separated from the unity of Christ, no matter how estimable a life he may imagine he is living, shall not have life, but the wrath of God rests upon him” (ibid., 141:5).

Fulgentius of Ruspe

“Anyone who receives the sacrament of baptism, whether in the Catholic Church or in a heretical or schismatic one, receives the whole sacrament; but salvation, which is the strength of the sacrament, he will not have, if he has had the sacrament outside the **Catholic Church **[and remains in deliberate schism]. He must therefore return to the Church, not so that he might receive again the sacrament of baptism, which no one dare repeat in any baptized person, but so that he may receive eternal life in Catholic society, for the obtaining of which no one is suited who, even with the sacrament of baptism, remains estranged from the Catholic Church” (The Rule of Faith 43 [A.D. 524]).

I am amazinly shocked that you cannot see the essence. I suggest you reread carefully, because that is not what I am seeing.🙂

catholic.com/library/Salvation_Outside_the_Church.asp
 
Lactantius

“It is, therefore, the **Catholic Church **alone which retains true worship. This is the fountain of truth; this, the domicile of faith; this, the temple of God. Whoever does not enter there or whoever does not go out from there, he is a stranger to the hope of life and salvation. . . . Because, however, all the various groups of heretics are confident that they are the Christians and think that theirs is the Catholic Church, let it be known that this is the true Church, in which there is confession and penance and which takes a health-promoting care of the sins and wounds to which the weak flesh is subject” (Divine Institutes 4:30:11–13 [A.D. 307]).

Augustine

“We believe also in the holy Church, that is, the Catholic Church. For heretics violate the faith itself by a false opinion about God; schismatics, however, withdraw from fraternal love by hostile separations, although they believe the same things we do. Consequently, neither heretics nor schismatics belong to the Catholic Church; not heretics, because the Church loves God; and not schismatics, because the Church loves neighbor” (Faith and the Creed 10:21 [A.D. 393]).

“I do not hesitate to put the Catholic catechumen, burning with divine love, before a baptized heretic. Even within the Catholic Church herself we put the good catechumen ahead of the wicked baptized person . . . For Cornelius, even before his baptism, was filled up with the Holy Spirit [Acts 10:44–48], while Simon [Magus], even after his baptism, was puffed up with an unclean spirit [Acts 8:13–19]” (ibid., 4:21[28]).

“Whoever is separated from this Catholic Church, by this single sin of being separated from the unity of Christ, no matter how estimable a life he may imagine he is living, shall not have life, but the wrath of God rests upon him” (ibid., 141:5).

Fulgentius of Ruspe

“Anyone who receives the sacrament of baptism, whether in the Catholic Church or in a heretical or schismatic one, receives the whole sacrament; but salvation, which is the strength of the sacrament, he will not have, if he has had the sacrament outside the **Catholic Church **[and remains in deliberate schism]. He must therefore return to the Church, not so that he might receive again the sacrament of baptism, which no one dare repeat in any baptized person, but so that he may receive eternal life in Catholic society, for the obtaining of which no one is suited who, even with the sacrament of baptism, remains estranged from the Catholic Church” (The Rule of Faith 43 [A.D. 524]).

I am amazinly shocked that you cannot see the essence. I suggest you reread carefully, because that is not what I am seeing.🙂

catholic.com/library/Salvation_Outside_the_Church.asp
I’ve been on this thread for 2 hours straight (I think)! I’m reading too quickly and not taking the time I should on this. I need to take a break and look at this later. On a re-read it looks like you may be right. Thanks for posting. Later.
 
Saying that the Church = Christ’s body does not mean Christ = the Church. It is not clear to me that this logical error has been successfully avoided.
Yes, you are right here. I suppose I should have said not that it is “required”, but that it is reasonable.
Can you find a verse that states we are saved by the church and not by grace through faith? I doubt it.
Me too as this sounds like heresy to me!
I expect the argument I get back to be that grace and faith are mediated by the Catholic church as the sole agent of mediation.
This sounds more like it.
But I cannot recall any Scriptural support for this. I am looking at this on Sola Scriptura terms. I will go further, though and ask for an ECF or CCC statement and references that says it same thing.
Well, there was only one Ark, was there not? I’m really not sure of any Scriptural support for this doctrine, apart from the usual Matthew 16:18 and so on.
 
Truthstalker said:

[But I cannot recall any Scriptural support for this. I am looking at this on Sola Scriptura terms. I will go further, though and ask for an ECF or CCC statement and references that says it same thing.
[/QUOTE]

Fine. Give me Scriptural Support for S.S. and denial of John’s teachings and scriptural support for ABC and then we can reason it out.
 
Truthstalker said:
[But I cannot recall any Scriptural support for this. I am looking at this on Sola Scriptura terms. I will go further, though and ask for an ECF or CCC statement and references that says it same thing.

Nuts. I stated this poorly. I should have simply asked for evidence from the Scriptures. I didn’t mean to drag SS into this. This is deflecting from the focus of the thread. There are plenty of places to debate SS around here - you and I have done so, I think, and lately.
[/QUOTE]
 
I see three groups referenced in the quotes from Catholic Answers: heretics, catholics and Catholics. As the “Catholic Church” under Constantine was a state church with the Nicene Creed as the litmus test, when many of this quotes originated, it looks to me that you have a good argument for catholic=Catholic then, which is the OP’s question.

Tie up the loose ends and prove catholic=Catholic today: that would be interesting.
 
There is only one church. Protestants deny that it can be defined solely as the visible structure of the Catholic church. Protestant churches typically regard themselves as parts of the One Church, not the whole church, as opposed to the exclusive nature of the Catholic Church’s assertion that it, and it alone, is the Church.
It doesn’t matter what Protestants deny. They don’t have the authority to claim or deny anything to begin with. Their right to even be included under the name ‘catholic’ is soley because the Catholic Church - who* does* have the authority - says they can be included (via baptism).
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top