G
Gottle_of_Geer
Guest
Okay, I have a question about doctrine/dogma and whether it can change or be modified.
It is my understanding that your church teaches that dogma can’t actually change but can be modified. I don’t fully understand this.
The case I am thinking of is the “outside the church there is no salvation” teaching which I believe is considered to be dogmatic by your church.
I’m no expert on your faith so bare with me here but I understand the Church of a century or two ago had a very narrow understanding of this and believed that me or anyone else formally outside of your Church would be doomed.
Correct - before 1863, theologians had to come to terms with the discovery of the New World, & what it implied for the teaching of the council lof Florence in the 1440s; before the NW was discovered, it was still possible to fit the Church’s ideas about salvation outside its visible boundaries into the sort of thinking (which amounted to something a bit like the Reformed doctrine of “uncovenanted grace”) which allowed for the salvation of the unbeliever by extra-ordinary means - the CC being the ordinary means of salvation; “ordinary” not meaning “usual” in the everyday sense, but "[means] ordained to the end [of furthering salvation]"
**This thinking was a bit difficult to maintain after its assumptions (e.g. that the whole world had been evangelised) became dubious: one can plausibly expect a monk on Iona in the seventh century to have heard of the Pope & the Church & its claims; to expect a Maori tribesman in a land no Christian even imagined to exist in 1600 (never mind 1440) to be acquainted with the duty of submission to the Pope, is less plausible. As for the notion that one can be damned for failing to submit to an authority one has no reason even to imagine exists - that objection did not fail to arise. **
**One solution is to go with Calvin, & conclude that all who have never heard the Gospel are ipso facto reprobate. Well, possibly. **
Now, it is also my understanding that a pope (don’t know who or when) came along and said something to the effect that those who are “invincibly ignorant” could be saved.
I think you are thinking of an address of Pius IX, made in 1863
I also believe your
**Not “our” - this is bad theology from all POVs: if a Church is a church at all, it is Christ’s. If it is not - it is still subject to Christ. No such thing as an “our C/church” could exist. If I were God for a day, I would get rid of all this man-centred piffle of “our/my Church” - it is total hogwash for any mere creature to say that; because it can imply “This is the Church I can knock the stuffing out of, because it’s my Preciouss - & no one else’s”. **##
latest church documents
They are not at all the latest now - that was all of 40 years ago
refer to non-Catholic Christians as “serperated bretheren”.