V
Veritas41
Guest
You have just proven my point here!
I’m confused – I’m not sure how I was proving your point with the example of the university students who admitted to the truth of Christianity while not wanting to convert because they didn’t want to change their lives. You stated in the post I was responding to that I had a flawed argument in asking which Bible should a person consider the true, complete Bible, and your response was:
"The atheists argue the same:
Which god should we worship, Bhudda?, Thor?, Allah?, or one of the other thousand gods that have been worshipped?
The premise is deeply flawed, for it assumes that people are inherently good, seekers of truth. Not so! We are fallen! The bible says that “no one seeks God”
No one seeks God unless God is drawing that person to Himself (John 6:65), but that doesn’t mean someone can’t use their faculty of reason to examine evidence and compare to see what is true/isn’t true. So the question remains: how does a seeker determine which Bible is the true, complete Bible?
I don’t believe that God gives only part of what saves a person. God’s grace of regeneration causes the elect person to hunger for the truth, and God provides the Truth to that regenerated person who, because of regeneration, is completely receptive to it.
**I don’t believe God gives “part” either. God gives grace, which is what saves us, and we respond to that grace by cooperating with it or rejecting it. God doesn’t wave a magic wand over the regenerated soul so that it immediately knows and recognizes all truth. There are two perfect examples of this in the New Testament: Acts 18:24-26 (a Jew named Apollos, “a learned man with a thorough knowledge of the Scriptures” has to have “the way of God more adequately” explained to him) and in Acts 8:26-31 (when the apostle Philip is sent by God to explain a passage of Scripture to the Ethiopian euncuh). It even says in 2 Peter 3:16 “He [Paul] writes the same way in all his letters, speaking in them of these matters. His letters contain some things *that are hard to understand, which ignorant and unstable people distort, as they do other Scriptures, to their own destruction.” ***That is probably why St. Paul admonished Timothy, “Be diligent in these matters; give yourself wholly to them, so that everyone may see your progress. *Watch your life and doctrine closely. Persevere in them, because if you do, you will save both yourself and our hearers.” *1 Tim 4:15-16) Paul didn’t tell Timothy to pass out Scriptures and let people read and interpret them on their own, which tells me God doesn’t intend for us to just read the Bible in order to know and understand the truth.
**(It was studying the Bible that led me to realize the Bible isn’t all we need to understand it. I studied on my own, participated in church Bible studies, and over time I realized that I had to have knowledge *apart from the Bible ***(the original languages it was written in, knowledge of the cultural settings, the geography of the region, etc.) to more fully understand what was *in *the Bible.)
**We have to be taught by others, which is why Jesus left us an infallible teaching authority within the Church (Matthew 16) You believe all truth is contained in the Bible (even though that is taught nowhere in the Bible) and so all a person has to do is read the Bible and they will know all the truth. And again, this is problematic because we have 3 different Bibles out there, all with different numbers of books in them, so how do we know, *from the Bible alone, ***since you don’t accept any outside authority, which Bible is the “true” Bible, the one we should follow?
Jesus said,“By their fruit you will know them.” **That’s not really an answer. If by that you mean the Christian virtues they exhibit in their lives (which is what “fruit” is), I have met many very fine Christians who had major disagreements over the interpretation of various Scriptures and had completely opposite understandings of various doctrines. Virtue in itself doesn’t guarantee infallibility, that’s why it has to be a *gift ***of the Holy Spirit![]()