J
jfoges
Guest
Hi,
I am a convert to Catholicism who entered the Church in 2005. In my nine years as a Catholic I have met a lot of different kinds of Catholics, from the pious to cafeteria catholics, from traditionalists to radicals. One thing I have noticed over time is that some Catholics can be a bit harsh with their rules. I have found that when someone doesn’t fit in with the teachings or rules of the Catholic Church, Catholics can be quick to condemn and ostracize. Does anyone else think there is sometimes a lack of tolerance in Catholicism? Now, when I say tolerance I don’t mean moral relativism or religious relativism. What I mean is more a sense of decency where basic human decency requires a certain level of politeness and respectfulness even for those who are different from oneself. I find this lacking sometimes.
Do the teachings of the RCC demand the kind of decency and tolerance I am speaking of?
I am a convert to Catholicism who entered the Church in 2005. In my nine years as a Catholic I have met a lot of different kinds of Catholics, from the pious to cafeteria catholics, from traditionalists to radicals. One thing I have noticed over time is that some Catholics can be a bit harsh with their rules. I have found that when someone doesn’t fit in with the teachings or rules of the Catholic Church, Catholics can be quick to condemn and ostracize. Does anyone else think there is sometimes a lack of tolerance in Catholicism? Now, when I say tolerance I don’t mean moral relativism or religious relativism. What I mean is more a sense of decency where basic human decency requires a certain level of politeness and respectfulness even for those who are different from oneself. I find this lacking sometimes.
Do the teachings of the RCC demand the kind of decency and tolerance I am speaking of?