Catholics "dabbling" in Protestantism

• Thread starter Thread starter St.Monica
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

St.Monica

I have heard of Catholics who send their kids to Protestant youth groups, attend Protestant VBS, attend Protestant worship services.

What is the attraction?? Perhaps they don’t understand Catholicism and are searching for answers elsewhere? If we have the Fullness of Truth, why on earth would you want to go anywhere else? If they are missing it in their own church then they should help start it there. That’s what I did. My church only had Adoration during Lent. I approached my priest and he agreed to let me have it every First Friday. We are coming up on our one year anniversary with Adoration on First Fridays. So many people have thanked me for stepping forward to provide the organization to get it going. A lot of times the parish wants these programs but needs a parishioner to step forward to help.

I have never been to a Protestant church and I never plan on attending one for any reason. I have been told by friends that I should because my boys (age 10 and 5) might marry a Protestant??!! I will teach my boys that they will look for a proper Catholic girl, stay single, or become a priest. Those are the options but I digress.

Can anyone tell me what the draw is?

I “dabble” in Protestantism but not the way you are describing. I’ve been to Lutheran services, Baptist services, inter-denominational services, Latter-Day Saint services, etc.

I am curious about others faiths so as to understand them better. The funny thing is, the more I dabble, the more grounded in my faith I become.

I’m convinced that if everyone “dabbled” with an open heart and mind, they will all come to the one true Church of Catholicism.

If you are not fully grounded in faith it is possible I suppose to “fall into” another faith system. This is something to be watchful for I suppose.

i would describe my intrest the same…i’m right now somewhat ‘dabbling’ in the catholic faith, and the more grounded i become in mine…no offense…but the way you put it describes it the best…just ‘dabbling’ and becoming stronger in mine.

40.png
latisha1903:
i would describe my intrest the same…i’m right now somewhat ‘dabbling’ in the catholic faith, and the more grounded i become in mine…no offense…but the way you put it describes it the best…just ‘dabbling’ and becoming stronger in mine.
Curious: When you “dabble”, do you merely attend a church service or do you do some follow up? Perhaps that’s why you’re here? No offense taken BTW.

What do you find objectionable in Catholicism that draws you nearer to where you attend now? (There I go “dabbling” again 😉 )

40.png
Stylteralmaldo:
Curious: When you “dabble”, do you merely attend a church service or do you do some follow up? Perhaps that’s why you’re here? No offense taken BTW.

What do you find objectionable in Catholicism that draws you nearer to where you attend now? (There I go “dabbling” again 😉 )
i haven’t attended any church services of the catholic faith. my dabbling is here.

i’m happy where i am because i know what i’m doing is what’s right. from studying scripture and from example. just like dabbling in the JW faith…[by merley reading up, or having disccusions] i’m more grounded and aware of what Christ teaches. i’d hate to get in an arguement over catholicism and my church…because its basically pointless because no one is going to convert, and everyone seems happy as is…but i have no reason to believe that what i’ve learned, studied, and been taught is contrary to the Bible. but moving right along…before i get off topic…😃

I don’t consider what you described as ‘dabbling’. For my children I viewed it as opportunity to learn more about their own faith, and the opportunity to understand that of others in order to better prepare themselves for encounters later in life.

My nieces and nephews are Christians…I don’t know their denomination but I think they’re linked to the baptists somehow. My children spend their summer with my sister. Her family is very active in their small church so our children go with them to the VCB stuff. (They do not attend their services on Sunday - they attend Mass with my mother).

I was hoping that their earlier experiences in the VCB stuff would get them to want to do the same in our own parish since we offer them as well, but they told me they don’t attend so much to learn about God or religion but to just spend as much time as possible with their cousins while they were there. Everything that was being taught, my kids simply showed respect for, but they didn’t take anything to heart - unless it was in sync with what Catholicism says. They were good at pointing out the differences when we were alone later and they showed an appreciation for our take on the situation over theirs.

Now that they’re older all of their friends are non-Catholic and one is Protestant, active in their church. My kids join their youth group for ski trips and VCB ‘survivor’ camps but again, it’s only to spend more time with their friends. They still come home and share with me what the lessons were about and they are able to show me what is inn line with our Church and what is slightly off.

It helps, also, that neither my family, nor the family of their protestant friend are into ‘recruiting’ converts, so there’s never any pressure on them. They don’t get ‘challenged’ for their beliefs because my kids recognize they are on someone else’s ‘turf’ and respectfully listen without getting into a debate.

I’ve certainly attended other church services because of weddings and funerals and other rite of passage type celebrations and don’t consider that ‘dabbling’.

I’ll tell you something though. Last Sunday I was in another town while my daughter attended a seminar. I walked around and found a catholic church. Stopped inside for a little Eucharistic Adoration to pass the time and I was surprised to see a risen Christ at the altar. No cross. Just a fully clothed Christ with pierced hands open and golden rays painted on the wall behind him. The altar had a 3 D sculpture of the last supper on the supporting side facing the pews, and they had stalks of wheat and bunches of plastic grapes beside the tabernacle. The Risen Christ still puzzles me.

40.png
latisha1903:
i’d hate to get in an arguement over catholicism and my church…because its basically pointless because no one is going to convert, and everyone seems happy as is…but i have no reason to believe that what i’ve learned, studied, and been taught is contrary to the Bible. but moving right along…before i get off topic…😃
That’s the beauty of dabbling. My friend starting dabbling with me in a series of e-mails concerning questions she had about the Catholic church. I patiently answered her concerns, and she came up with more. This Easter Vigil, she was welcomed in the the fullness of the Christian Faith in the Catholic Church, as I was 3 years before. Conversions do happen, thank God!

The more I read the Catechism, and saw the beautiful logical consistency of the church, and the more Masses I went to and felt the presence of the Lord, the more I was hooked. By Wednesday, I was longing for Sunday again, so I could go to Mass. God really set my heart on fire!

So, I say, get rooted in your Catholic faith by an honest study of the Catechism, and invite your friends to dabble in our faith.

After you have truly understood the fullness of the faith in the Catholic church, dabbling in Protestantism is not quite as satisfying. Feels like somethings missing. Because it is…

God bless,
Iguana

40.png
iguana27:
That’s the beauty of dabbling. My friend starting dabbling with me in a series of e-mails concerning questions she had about the Catholic church. I patiently answered her concerns, and she came up with more. This Easter Vigil, she was welcomed in the the fullness of the Christian Faith in the Catholic Church, as I was 3 years before. Conversions do happen, thank God!

The more I read the Catechism, and saw the beautiful logical consistency of the church, and the more Masses I went to and felt the presence of the Lord, the more I was hooked. By Wednesday, I was longing for Sunday again, so I could go to Mass. God really set my heart on fire!

So, I say, get rooted in your Catholic faith by an honest study of the Catechism, and invite your friends to dabble in our faith.

After you have truly understood the fullness of the faith in the Catholic church, dabbling in Protestantism is not quite as satisfying. Feels like somethings missing. Because it is…

God bless,
Iguana
totally disagree with your last statement…and i will not nor shall ever convert, because the catholic church is not the church that i’ve read in the Bible, and their is no covincing me it is. but we’re all rooted in our beliefs, and and until someone can fully understand another or want to understand another they will never look further. i am a Christian, a member of the Church of Christ [not the ICoC, the UCC, the Boston Coc or anythign to do with alexander campbell.] everything taught in my church i am able to find in the Bible. all references to what ever is taught. and i don’t appreciate that fact that yo could say something is missing, but i admit i feel the same pretty much towards the catholic church. i’m not anti-catholic, nor anti-baptist or anything else. the CoC is not catholic, protestant, jewish, gentile, nor a denomination. but of course until we actually seek the truth we shall never find it…and i have evidence to prove everything that i believe. but i’m not here to convince anyone of that. i’m content.

40.png
latisha1903:
and i don’t appreciate that fact that yo could say something is missing, but i admit i feel the same pretty much towards the catholic church.
I am certainly not anti-Protestant. I thank God for my Protestant roots and my love for the Bible that I got there. My entire family remains in the Protestant Church, and I love them very much.

What I didn’t get in the Protestant church was that spiritual food referred to in John 6. Even at churches that taught a literal interpretation of scripture, this was dismissed as poetry or symbolism. It seems to me that Jesus goes out of his way to convince his followers that he is being as literal as he can be!

No Protestant Church I went to offered me the flesh and blood of Christ. Although he was present in a spiritual way, He was not present in the way He described in John 6.

Once I saw the beauty of the Eucharist I knew I could not leave the Church that has it.

I am sorry if I offended you, I respect your spiritual heritage. And I do love and accept Truth wherever I find it.

But the Eucharist is like heaven on earth… and once I knew this in my heart and understood the scripture in my head, I knew that I couldn’t leave.

God bless you Latisha.

no offense taking…

but also maybe you didn’t go to the right church…and again i stress the CoC is not protestant…but anyways…not looking to convert anyone like i said. to each his own.

but God bless…goodnight!😃

St. Monica, Those of us who are married to Protestants go to support our spouse in their faith walk. We take our children to show them that Mommy’s church is Christian and bear witness that we agree on many issues with our separated brethren. Truth is truth even if found in the Protestant communities. We also get to share our faith with the members and show that Catholics can be knowledgeable and not afraid of debate if things come up we can discuss them cordially and respectfully.

Unfortunately, a lot of the things people are looking for are not found in today’s parish. I applaud your efforts at expanding adoration but to compare it to VBS of BSF is comparing apples to oranges.

One last thing is JP II dabbles in Protestantism and to be a loyal Catholic one should follow Christ’s vicar.

I go to a Protestant school, which inevitably leads to a lot of Protestant “dabbling” (that seems to be the official word of this thread).

I have been to various Protestant churches of differing denominations, including Calvary Chapels, Mennonite Bretheren churches, non-denominational churches, and Reformed churches. Some of them had speakers with some thought-provoking things to say, but aside from that I can’t say I was overly impressed. Iguana hit the nail on the head by saying that something was missing…that is definitely the feeling that I got as well.

No song or sermon will ever satisfy my thirst for the Spirit like the body and blood of Christ or the truth of His Church. It would be like trying to drown an ocean.

The reason I “dabble” is because I like the praise music singing with a full band, I like the great message of the pastor, and especially the good youth programs, even if they don’t stress many important things that the RCC has. If I could find an RCC with these things, I would surely go there!!!

What to do?

Hi Latisha:

Of course your church is great and marvelous I’m sure!

The teachings of the RCC are not contrary to the Bible, they fully truly utilize the WHOLE Bible! That’s the beauty of it.

I am a Protestant, was raised as one, but am thinking of converting to the RCC next Easter. I have found the RCC has everything your church has only MUCH MORE too. Beauty, truth and fullness, history and authority, beyond compare with any other Church. Don’t you want that? I do. I think you’re searching or you wouldn’t be on this site!

God Bless You~~

40.png
sparkle:
Hi Latisha:

Of course your church is great and marvelous I’m sure!

The teachings of the RCC are not contrary to the Bible, they fully truly utilize the WHOLE Bible! That’s the beauty of it.

I am a Protestant, was raised as one, but am thinking of converting to the RCC next Easter. I have found the RCC has everything your church has only MUCH MORE too. Beauty, truth and fullness, history and authority, beyond compare with any other Church. Don’t you want that? I do. I think you’re searching or you wouldn’t be on this site!

God Bless You~~
wow i just spent the last 8mins or so writing a LONG post, and its gone. but i shall attempt again.

i’m sorry you feel that way, about me ‘searching’ i search on KKK and hate sites, but believe me i’ve never thought of joining. simply learning. because in order to reach people or speak to people you must understand their teachings or their life lessons. and by being here i’m able to understand what catholics believe. which makes it easier for me on my approach to different things. just like you would want to understand an abused child, before you just go about counseling them. again i stress the CoC is not a protestant church. so its not even to be in the cateogry with others. i encourage you to attend a local CoC service, but of course to do that, or even to have this disscusion we must all have open-minds. and me being here i have already shown i’m open to learning, why catholics believe what they do.

thebible.net/introchurch/
fifthwardcoc.org/

just to get an understanding. and surly i would ask how you could dispute what is said in both of these site. but again i said i am not here to convert. simply observing…taking notes and preparing myself. in order to learn something you must give effort to know about it. and i have…i’m not changing my views, nor ever will. i’m in the Lord’s church, and more than confident in that, because if we all explore our faith to the core, someone’s not going to add up. and i’m more than faithful its not on this side…

but again God bless, and i’m off to work

www.thebible.net/introchurch: The New Testament Is Her Only Standard of Authority:
…Our plea that is both scriptural and sensible is this: The New Testament is our only rule of faith and practice…

…The Word of God furnishes us completely and hence, we need nothing more. Paul asserted, “All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works” (2 Timothy 3:16-17)…

…We cannot look to the Old Testament, books of philosophy, nor creeds of men to grant us spiritual life…
This quote is taken from the web site you gave me on the Church of Christ.

I’m confused about these passages from the web site you gave us. Why can’t you go to the Old Testament if Paul asserted that all scripture is given by inspiration of God? Paul was certainly talking about the Old Testament here since much of the New Testament had not been written yet. Thanks. 🙂

40.png
Stylteralmaldo:
This quote is taken from the web site you gave me on the Church of Christ.

I’m confused about these passages from the web site you gave us. Why can’t you go to the Old Testament if Paul asserted that all scripture is given by inspiration of God? Paul was certainly talking about the Old Testament here since much of the New Testament had not been written yet. Thanks. 🙂
we learn from the Old Testament, but are not binded by it, or in other words that is not our law today. In Mark 14:24, Christ said “This is the blood of my new covenant, which is shed for many.” and in order to abide by something new, you must ‘throw’ out the old. you cannot go by an old law and a new law at the same time. its like using a using a new textbook, yes you can learn from the old textbook, but now you are going by the information in the new…that wasn’t the example i was looking for, but i can’t think of one right now…[at work…] so what i’m saying is that when Christ died on the cross, he nailed the old law to the cross, and it is no longer our law…i would need to run to my car to get my Bible, i’m using one that i just found in the office, so that i can direct you to the scripture on that…will do that when and if time permits…hope this answers your question…but i will be back later at my lunch break.

40.png
latisha1903:
we learn from the Old Testament, but are not binded by it…In Mark 14:24, Christ said “This is the blood of my new covenant, which is shed for many.” and in order to abide by something new, you must ‘throw’ out the old. you cannot go by an old law and a new law at the same time. its like using…a new textbook, yes you can learn from the old textbook, but now you are going by the information in the new…
A new law doesn’t necessarily mean that you throw out the old law. How does CofC feel about the Ten Commandments? Are you saying that you are not bound by these? Thanks. 🙂

I agree with stylteralmaldo, what does the Coc teach about the ten commandments? What about these passages:
Code:
 "Do not think that I have come to abolish the law or the prophets. I have come not to abolish but to fufill.""Amen, I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not the smallest part of a letter will pass from the law, until all things have taken place.Therefore, whoever breaks one of the least of these commandments and teaches others to do so will be called least in the kingdom of heaven. But whoever obeys and teaches these commandments will be called greatest in the kingdom of heaven. I tell you, unless your righteousness surpasses that of the scribes and Pharisees, you will not enter the kingdom of heaven."(Matt.5:17-20)

"If you love me, you will keep my commandments." (John 14: 15) Read John 14 : 15-31)
Now I have heard the argument from some protestants that the 10 commandments are not Jesus’ commandments. We all know God wrote the 10 commandments for Moses to give to the people. But is not Jesus God? Jesus obeys the Father, as we all should obey the Father , the Son and the Holy Spirit. They are all one. The same yesterday, today and tomorrow. Christ speaks with clarity, He says whoever loves him will keep his commandments. There are more than just the 10 commandments. He also commands we be baptized, eat his flesh and drink his blood,love our neighbor as he loves us. The list goes on. Anyone who thinks all they have to do is make a one time declaration of excepting Jesus as their personal Lord and Saviour, is not reading the entire Word of God. Of course we have to believe jesus is our saviour, in addition we must keep His commandments, ALL OF HIS COMMANDMENTS!

When Paul tells Timothy “all scripture is inspired…” He is most definitely talking about the Old Testament. The OT is all that was written and compiled in Timothy’s infancy. There is a quote that goes,“The Old Testament is the New Testament concealed and the New Testament is the Old Testament revealed.”

As someone once said ,“Our Lord speaks with clarity, it is black or white, anything in the gray area is from the devil.”

" Enter through the narrow gate, for wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. But small and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it."
(Matt 7: 13-14) This passage speaks volumes to me. I am so grateful for my faith!!! The teachings of the Catholic Church are the teachings of Jesus Christ. The church teaches we must obey all that Christ commands. Sure we will fall short, because we are sinners. I pray that I stay in a state of grace.
“But he who endures to the end will be saved.” (Matt 24:13)

"And behold, one came up to him, saying. “Teacher, what good deed must I do, to have eternal life?” And He said to him,“Why do you ask me about what is good? One there is who is good.If you would enter life, keep the commandments.”(Matt 19:16-17)

Using the Bible as the sole rule of faith is dangerous and very very random.

And, according to the CoC, only and ONLY the Bible actually has any authority in the church, so if only the book itself has authority, who interprets the Bible? And how is it enforced? Assuming that the Bible is the only authority, nothing except the book itself has right to interpretation.

If some one else exerts authority of interpretation then… that must mean that something else besides the Bible has an authority in your church which contradicts what your church claims to believe.

Either that or the Bible is open to open interpertation in which case why would every one believe the church leaders when they should rely on their own interpretation?

BTW, I read the Bible and interpret it in my own way, a way that says the RCC is correct, now disprove my interpretation? Can’t be done. See the problem of the “Bible only” policy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back