Catholics for Choice

  • Thread starter Thread starter Dani_Girl0517
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you being deliberately obtuse?

One last time: Anyone who supports or procures abortion automatically excommunicates himself from the Church. This is Church law, and no further action by the Church is necessary to affect the excommunication.

– Mark L. Chance.
I mean, why aren’t they officially excommunicated?
 
Anyone who supports or procures abortion automatically excommunicates himself from the Church. This is Church law, and no further action by the Church is necessary to affect the excommunication.

– Mark L. Chance.
Canon 1398 says anyone who procures an abortion incurs automatic (latae sententiae) excommunication, but it doesn’t say anything about those who support it. Is there some other relevant canon that I am missing? I looked but couldn’t find any.

I suppose if you consider supporters of abortion to be “an apostate from the faith, a heretic, or a schismatic” they would incur automatic excommunication by virtue of Canon 1364. CCC 2089 defines heresy (and Canon 751 echoes this definition) as “the obstinate post-baptismal denial of some truth which must be believed with divine and catholic faith, or it is likewise an obstinate doubt concerning the same”. By that definition, those who support abortion could be considered heretics insofar as they deny the Church’s teaching on the morality of abortion.

Maybe I answered my own question. Thanks anyway! 🙂
 
Canon 1398 says anyone who procures an abortion incurs automatic (latae sententiae) excommunication, but it doesn’t say anything about those who support it. Is there some other relevant canon that I am missing? I looked but couldn’t find any.

I suppose if you consider supporters of abortion to be “an apostate from the faith, a heretic, or a schismatic” they would incur automatic excommunication by virtue of Canon 1364. CCC 2089 defines heresy (and Canon 751 echoes this definition) as “the obstinate post-baptismal denial of some truth which must be believed with divine and catholic faith, or it is likewise an obstinate doubt concerning the same”. By that definition, those who support abortion could be considered heretics insofar as they deny the Church’s teaching on the morality of abortion.
Well, in all fairness to me, I’m not a canon lawyer, but I think your general tact is correct. I certainly think it is quite possible that a baptized Catholic who actively supports abortion as at least in danger of espousing heresy. I also thought automatic excommunication applied to those who perform or assist in abortions (assuming, of course, that such people are baptized Catholics).

– Mark L. Chance.
 
Is that why the pro-abort politicians were allowed to take communion when the Pope visited the U.S. recently?
Yes, that’s why. When one is under the penalty of excommunication, one can “take communion” at Mass. That’s one of the perks of being excommunicated.

– Mark L. Chance.
 
Yes, that’s why. When one is under the penalty of excommunication, one can “take communion” at Mass. That’s one of the perks of being excommunicated.

– Mark L. Chance.
So, they haven’t been officially removed from the cogregation?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top