Catholics in Congress

  • Thread starter Thread starter dmschrader
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dmschrader

Guest
Inspired by Catholics Answers 2004 Voting Guide, I have put together a report on how the 131 Catholics in the U.S. House of Representatives, voted/acted on the non-negotiable issues of abortion, embryonic stem cell research, cloning, same-sex marriage, euthanasia, and torture. I looked at 14 different actions (votes, co-sponsorship status, co-signing of letters of support). An introduction and links to the report in Excel, PDF, and HTML formats can be found here. (A Senate report is in the works.) I thought it might generate some discussion here in the forums.
 
Lost me on torture (and citing Dick Durban for anything).

Are you claiming torture is official U.S. policy? Or just the “Bush administration” policy (whatever that means).
 
40.png
Maranatha:
Why are some names in red and others green?
That’s an easy one to answer! The Catholic reps in Massachusetts are all red so that means they voted against Marriage, for abortions, etc, etc, etc.

I am so surprised…NOT!

And yes, what’s with the torture? 😦
 
40.png
David_Paul:
Lost me on torture (and citing Dick Durban for anything).

Are you claiming torture is official U.S. policy? Or just the “Bush administration” policy (whatever that means).
It has been alledged that the US will deliver suspects to nations where they will be tortured. The outsourcing torture bill prohibits that.
 
The statement implies more than that and the link to the bill does not work (I am familiar with the bill).

It is a non issue. Congress will never vote to bring everyone captured overseas by our troops or anyone else to American territory. The big to-do in the MSM was about returning two Egyptians held by Sweden to Egypt.

But if that is more important to Catholic voters than stopping Abortion, Embryonic Stem Cell research and euthanasia…well…they are free to support Dick Durban and Rosa DeLauro.

The bill was a PR stunt of course but whatever…
 
40.png
David_Paul:
The statement implies more than that and the link to the bill does not work (I am familiar with the bill).

It is a non issue. Congress will never vote to bring everyone captured overseas by our troops or anyone else to American territory. The big to-do in the MSM was about returning two Egyptians held by Sweden to Egypt.

But if that is more important to Catholic voters than stopping Abortion, Embryonic Stem Cell research and euthanasia…well…they are free to support Dick Durban and Rosa DeLauro.

The bill was a PR stunt of course but whatever…
Yes, it was a PR stunt – many such bills are. A noble sounding title is no assurance that the true purpose or effect of the bill is noble. Look at “Campaign Finance Reform” for example.
 
I have not read your report yet, but am getting ready to print it. I just wanted to say thanks for the hard work that it must have involved.
 
I like what you are doing. I really resent Durbin’s analysis. I am more interested in yours.
 
40.png
Maranatha:
Why are some names in red and others green?
Those names in Red are Republicans. Those in Blue are Democrats. Think Red State-Blue State.

At the bottom of the report is the key to reading it. Red actions are inconsistent with Catholic teachings, as I understand them. Green actions are consistent with Catholic teachings, as I understand them.
 
The introduction lays out information on some of the questions being asked.

Sen Durbin is not cited. It was the scorecard put together by his staff which led me to create this report.

Torture is not official US policy and the bill cited would not change current administration policy. Individuals, as a rule, currently are not rendered to nations which are known to use torture. Will that always be the case? Who knows, but this bill if made law would ensure future presidents would not render individuals. PR stunt? Maybe, but support for such an action surely is worthy of a Catholi rep. Note how non-sponsors are grayed out.

As for the links at the bottom…sorry, that needs fixed.
 
40.png
David_Paul:
…and the link to the bill does not work.
Use the links at the top of each column (eg PBA, PRP, etc.) They will take you to more information on each bill/action.
 
Wasn’t this thread prescient? Posted weeks before Osama Durbin compared the U.S. Military to Pol Pot, Adolf Hitler and Stalin.

You didn’t have advance notice what Democrats were going to do did you, dmschrader?

Not trying to paper over the problems many Catholic have with Democrats over abortion, gay marriage and other social issues by claiming Republicans support torture, were you?

Is the DNC attempting to regain the support of a majority to Catholics by depicting the GOP as the party of human rights abuse? That the game Soros, Bing, Lewis, Sandler, Dean, Stanley Greenberg and his lovely wife Rosa DeLauro (D-CT) playing?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top