Cell Phones in the Sky

• Thread starter Thread starter HagiaSophia
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
40.png
Catholic2003:
There are already phones in each row of seats in the plane. It’s just that few people use them because they charge an arm and a leg.
And that should settle the question. What’s the point (absent a safety problem of interference with flight systems) of prohibiting people from doing with a cell phone what they already do with an in-flight phone?

It starts to look like the whole idea of prohibiting cell phones is to exploit the passengers by forcing them to use an over-priced system, instead of the reasonably-priced system they carry in their pockets.

vern humphrey:
And that should settle the question. What’s the point (absent a safety problem of interference with flight systems) of prohibiting people from doing with a cell phone what they already do with an in-flight phone?

It starts to look like the whole idea of prohibiting cell phones is to exploit the passengers by forcing them to use an over-priced system, instead of the reasonably-priced system they carry in their pockets.
The cost has to do with the fact that the phones are only provided by one company. Guess who is lobbying against cell phone use in planes?

Anyway, I still think it is a bad idea.

40.png
gilliam:
The cost has to do with the fact that the phones are only provided by one company. Guess who is lobbying against cell phone use in planes?

Anyway, I still think it is a bad idea.
Given that the guy next to me is **already **yakking on the phone, what do I care if it’s an in-flight phone or a cell phone?

vern humphrey:
Given that the guy next to me is **already **yakking on the phone, what do I care if it’s an in-flight phone or a cell phone?
At $4 a minute, it is unlikely he will be doing it for 5 hours straight.

40.png
gilliam:
At $4 a minute, it is unlikely he will be doing it for 5 hours straight.
But whatever minutes he uses are going right into some rip-off artist’s pocket.

It isn’t the government’s business protect a monopoly in communications – it’s the government’s business to foster competition.

vern humphrey:
Apples and oranges – it isn’t the government which bans playing the radio in the store, it’s the store owners.
On the CTA (Chicago’s public transportation system) radio playing has long been disallowed and one can be fined. (In more recent times, with headphnes, it is tolerated as long as you aren’t booming so loudly that everybody else has to hear it, also). Yet the CTA is now trying to make it more conveninet for people to use their radios (in the form of cell phones) throughout the system. Ironic. I guess it’s not ok to annoy other riders if they can hear what loudly comes out of the radio but it’s just fine to annoy them if they have to put up with the loud tones that go into the radio.

I just wish that we could find a way to get people at baseball games to quit waving at the cameras while talking on their phones.

40.png
chicago:
On the CTA (Chicago’s public transportation system) radio playing has long been disallowed and one can be fined. (In more recent times, with headphnes, it is tolerated as long as you aren’t booming so loudly that everybody else has to hear it, also). Yet the CTA is now trying to make it more conveninet for people to use their radios (in the form of cell phones) throughout the system. Ironic. I guess it’s not ok to annoy other riders if they can hear what loudly comes out of the radio but it’s just fine to annoy them if they have to put up with the loud tones that go into the radio.
So if you’re on the CTA, and someone calls you on your cellphone to tell you your house is on fire, your husband or wife is in an accident, or your missing child has been found, you should go to jail?

People have legitimate reasons to use communications systems, and merely saying, “It annoys me” is no justification for prohibiting them from going about their business.

vern humphrey:
So if you’re on the CTA, and someone calls you on your cellphone to tell you your house is on fire, your husband or wife is in an accident, or your missing child has been found, you should go to jail?
This is a ridiculous arguement. For you are focusing on the extreme example rather than the norm. That is not the way in which you make laws.

Though if you want to restrict public cell phone usage to emergencies only…

Anyway, a couple of more criticisms of your argument here:
  1. It’s a fine, not imprisonment.
  2. All laws are subject to reasonable applictaion. If someone is speeding to get a person experiencing an emergency to the hospital, they ought not be given a ticket. Same thing here.
  3. There are plenty of other places where one is expected to turn off their cell phone for a period of time. Concert halls, for example. And Churches.
  4. What did people do before they had cell phones? You really can’t wait a half an hour till you get home, to your office, or hotel? Especially, in the kinds of cases you note, most of the time there probably isn’t much of anything you can peronsally do about it (other than, perhaps, pray and worry) if you know sooner rather than later, anyway.
We live in a society which is too hectic, thinking that it must be constantly on the go and more “productive”. We need to learn to slow down and take a breath. Really, fresh air is a good thing.
People have legitimate reasons to use communications systems, and merely saying, “It annoys me” is no justification for prohibiting them from going about their business.
Fine, let them go about their business. Nobody is stopping them. But allow them to do so in their own private offices and homes rather than shouting in public and subjecting everybody else in the society around them to a one sided, somewhat self-centered conversation. We need to remember that we do actually live in a community and aren’t the only people in the world.

Speaking of which, Metra (the commuter rail service in Chicago) has a pretty good newsletter, On the Bi-Level which includes a column, “Sound Off” which lets riders rant at their fellow riders behavior and defend themselves. It’s pretty good:

metrarail.com/OTBL/index.html

40.png
chicago:
  1. It’s a fine, not imprisonment.
If you’re willing to pay a fine for exercising your rights to freedom of speech.
40.png
chicago:
  1. All laws are subject to reasonable applictaion. If someone is speeding to get a person experiencing an emergency to the hospital, they ought not be given a ticket. Same thing here.
Prisons are full of people who were the exception to the rule of “reasonable application.” I seem to recall a pregnant woman being thrown to the ground and handcuffed in a case of “no cell phone usage.”
40.png
chicago:
  1. There are plenty of other places where one is expected to turn off their cell phone for a period of time. Concert halls, for example. And Churches…
Big difference between a church or private owner making a rule and the Government doing it. Especially if, as we see, it favors some monopolistic business overcharging for the same thing that is prohibited.
40.png
chicago:
  1. What did people do before they had cell phones? You really can’t wait a half an hour till you get home, to your office, or hotel? Especially, in the kinds of cases you note, most of the time there probably isn’t much of anything you can peronsally do about it (other than, perhaps, pray and worry) if you know sooner rather than later, anyway…
What did people do before they had airplanes?
40.png
chicago:
We live in a society which is too hectic, thinking that it must be constantly on the go and more “productive”. We need to learn to slow down and take a breath. Really, fresh air is a good thing…
You have a right to that opinion – just don’t use the force of law to suppress those who disagree.
40.png
chicago:
Fine, let them go about their business. Nobody is stopping them. But allow them to do so in their own private offices and homes rather than shouting in public and subjecting everybody else in the society around them to a one sided, somewhat self-centered conversation. We need to remember that we do actually live in a community and aren’t the only people in the world…
So it would be okay to outlaw ANYTHING in public?

The essense of freedom is that we are obligated to defend that we do not approve of – no one goes to jail or gets fined, or thrown down and handcuffed for doing what everyone else agrees with.

If you’re willing to pay a fine for exercising your rights to freedom of speech.
Freedom of speech isn’t absolute. Ever hear of laws against “disturbing the peace” or “inciting a riot”?
Prisons are full of people who were the exception to the rule of “reasonable application.” I seem to recall a pregnant woman being thrown to the ground and handcuffed in a case of “no cell phone usage.”
And she’s in jail now?

Again, you are trying to use the most extreme potential examples as an excuse. Such is bad policymaking.
Big difference between a church or private owner making a rule and the Government doing it.
Big deal. If it is needed to preserve decency and order in a society, it is needed.
Especially if, as we see, it favors some monopolistic business overcharging for the same thing that is prohibited.
The matter of business competition is distinct from what I am discussing here. While I might agree with you on this matter, one could just as reasonably argue that it would be legitimate to merely ban all such communications on airlines, save for emergencies. Airlines are a “private owner”, afterall.
What did people do before they had airplanes?
They survived just fine. And didn’t have to complain about how their intrinsic rights were somehow being suppressed by an inability to fly.
You have a right to that opinion – just don’t use the force of law to suppress those who disagree.
No one is “suppressing” people. Merely suggesting that if one desires to use their cell phone radios in public, they ought to maintain a certain decorum and that, perhaps, in certain circumstances it is best to refrain from useage entirely. Truly, are Americans going to somehow be tyranically oppressed merely because we have to wait a few minutes to make a phone call?
So it would be okay to outlaw ANYTHING in public?
The essense of freedom is that we are obligated to defend that we do not approve of – no one goes to jail or gets fined, or thrown down and handcuffed for doing what everyone else agrees with.
Oh, come on! Enough about “freedom” (more like libertarianisms) and “laws”! This really is a matter of simple manners. And if people are so inconsiderate as to violate worthwhile societal codes to keep peace, well then is it any surprize that we may have to resort to making restrictive laws for such “petty offenses” to keep some semblance of order? What these people really need aren’t laws so much as mothers who can teach them how to behave.

Having lived awhile I am not into predicting as the vagaries of human nature never cease to amaze me but I will predict this - if we put these cell phones onboard flights - we are going to see “air rage” expressed in a variety of instances.

I can see the headlines now…

I think all the arguments against cell phones in the air are moot. It’s goin’ to happen whether people want it or not.

Heck six years ago I never imagined I’d have a cell phone, now I’m glued to the thing!

40.png
chicago:
We live in a society which is too hectic, thinking that it must be constantly on the go and more “productive”. We need to learn to slow down and take a breath. Really, fresh air is a good thing.
Actually, I find my cell phone makes things much less hectic. I can talk to my wife on the way home from work to catch up on the day and plan our next moves. Otherwise, I’d get hit with a million things walking in the door which used to raise my blood pressure instantly.

Also, I can take the grocery list to the store and then call to ask meaningful questions (i.e. “they don’t have your brand, do you want a substitute?”). This is incredibly productive, and makes shopping more relaxing to boot.

If you want to outlaw “rudeness”, here are a few suggestions that maybe the government can work on also:
  • Orange (or any other unnatural color) hair. This is terribly distracting.
  • T-shirts with skulls and hellfire on. My children don’t need to see these things.
  • TV Commercials, of just about any type.
  • Radio commercials, of just about any type.
  • Ugly automobiles.
  • Foul language, period.
  • Discussions about women’s shoes.
  • Music which I don’t like being played too loudly.
  • Traffic signals and signs that make me do things I don’t want to (like stop).
Ridiculous, huh? Cell phones are a great tool. By the way, I don’t even have to carry pictures around in my wallet anymore - they’re on my cellphone.

Peace.

theTaxCollector said:
Foul language, period.
  • Music which I don’t like being played too loudly.
  • Traffic signals and signs that make me do things I don’t want to (like stop).

The former two already are petty offenses, is not misdemeanors, in many places (and long have been). The latter is not just a matter of “things I don’t like”, but a prudential social convention, along the line of what I am arguing is sometimes necessary, to preserve some semblance of order and tranquility. Without some semblance of order we have only anarchy. Sometimes that means that we have to think of others first, rather than just what most pleases us. Such a necessary good goes beyond a mere matter of “freedom of expression”.
Ridiculous, huh? Cell phones are a great tool. By the way, I don’t even have to carry pictures around in my wallet anymore - they’re on my cellphone.

Peace.
Don’t get me wrong. I’m not dead set against portable radio (which is what a cell phone is) usage. I’m a ham, afterall! However, I’m merely calling for some common sense moderation.

40.png
chicago:
Don’t get me wrong. I’m not dead set against portable radio (which is what a cell phone is) usage. I’m a ham, afterall! However, I’m merely calling for some common sense moderation.
Why don’t we try that (common sense ) before immediately jumping to the force of government to infringe on people’s rights? What’s wrong with a little sign in the plane asking people to be courteous?

vern humphrey:
Why don’t we try that (common sense ) before immediately jumping to the force of government to infringe on people’s rights? What’s wrong with a little sign in the plane asking people to be courteous?
I agree!

More importantly…What is wrong with parents and teachers actually teaching their charges to be more courteous across the board?

vern humphrey:
Why don’t we try that (common sense ) before immediately jumping to the force of government to infringe on people’s rights?
Again, we aren’t talking about “infringement of rights”, but the longstanding tradition of legitimate “nuissance laws”.
What’s wrong with a little sign in the plane asking people to be courteous?
That’s great! I have no problem with such at all and would advocate it as a good first step. However, what if people don’t willingly comply? How does one enforce it? That’s when a law is needed in order to penalize, instruct, and bring people into conformity, if necessary.
40.png
theTaxCollector:
I agree!

More importantly…What is wrong with parents and teachers actually teaching their charges to be more courteous across the board?
Nothing at all. Indeed, I earlier noted that what is really needed isn’t so much laws as mommies teaching manners. Perhaps parents and teachers also could help people learn to read such things, first? 😉

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back