D
DeniseNY
Guest
I had no idea!There is lots of erotica written about women in burkas.
I had no idea!There is lots of erotica written about women in burkas.
Rule 34 of the Internet…I had no idea!
I’m really not surprised.There is lots of erotica written about women in burkas.
The other thing to remember is the people who shouldn’t be wearing immodest clothing not because it will engender not lustful thoughts but rather uncharitable thoughts.I think we’re better off leaving it just at that. The reason why modesty is a virtue is partly because it prevents other people from being tempted or driven into sin. Whether the other people actually commit a sin or have custody of their eyes is not the measure of whether you committed a sin in how you dress around others. Your own sin lies in the violation of the virtue, not in whether somebody else actually looked at you or had a lustful thought looking at you.
We are all responsible for our own lustful thoughts, which can often occur when the other person is dressed quite appropriately and reasonably modestly for the time and place.
And vice versa, if a woman cannot control her thought when the situation is reversed.Tis_Bearself:![]()
Exactly.We are all responsible for our own lustful thoughts, which can often occur when the other person is dressed quite appropriately and reasonably modestly for the time and place.
Even when I would wear a dress that hit below the knee and jacket to the office, there would still be men who would lear at me. I’m not wearing a burka because there are men who either can’t control their thoughts, or just don’t want to. That’s not my responsibility, it’s theirs.
If a particular man knows he has a weakness for certain sins but desires to work to overcome them, it’s not about treating women differently than men but about avoiding what is a near occasion of sin for him. It’s something we are all called to do with our particular weaknesses and temptations. (Not saying that this is why Pence has this policy but if it would be the reason and he’s humble enough to admit the weakness, why would this be a bad thing?)I am criticizing the position that a MAN is allowed to treat a woman differently because HE does not have the willpower to avoid sin.
It’s not her fault.Why is it a woman’s fault for being attractive?
Avoiding sin is not acting sexist. I’m sure there are plenty of women who avoid being alone with men they aren’t married or related to in order to be safe from assault or to avoid possible gossip or suspicion. Are they being sexist or prudent?Why do men get to act sexist but women don’t?
Well, yeah. If a man wears a suit to work and I find myself having impure thoughts, that’s on me; not him.And vice versa, if a woman cannot control her thought when the situation is reversed.
This statement is true, but it’s easy to say. The problem is that while guys are told to be modest, they are hardly told that they’re immodest. They hardly think about immodesty in the first place. Shirtless men has been the equivalent of a bikini, and is known to make women go gaga, but many here would say that it’s totally fine for a guy to go top less while swimming. But these people have a lot to say about a two piece swimming suit for women. Female lust in general is often forgotten, male modesty usually focuses on making sure guys don’t look like weird or arrogant fools, lol!Women have an obligation to dress modestly for the sake of the virtue of modesty. The same goes for men.
It seems as if her sin is dependent on whether the guy lusts. I would have said she is culpable for the sin of immodesty even if no guy there is paying her any attention, he is culpable for the sin of lust. Rather than saying she’s partly culpable for his sin of lust.If a man lusts after a woman who is immodestly dressed, she partly shares culpability (not subtracting from the culpability of the man.)
That’s always been my understanding as well. He isn’t doing anything illegal in the workforce with the way he does things.My understanding is that Mike Pence will meet alone with a woman but not dine out with one or consume alcohol without his wife. Sounds reasonable to me. A female employee can meet with him but not over lunch/dinner.
She can’t lust proof herself. That’s the irony of “modest” attire. I think she’s a cutie. If I were closer to her age, I’d probably think a lot more than that.Knowing that “modesty” is a cultural construct, precisely how should this woman dress? How should she “lust-proof” herself in a way that meets your approval?