Tis_Bearself:
Is any woman seriously going to file a complaint that Mike Pence or some other boss wouldn’t “meet alone” with her?
What possible benefit could there be to being alone with your boss? I can’t think of one.
I’ll grant you that it might not really matter now that he’s the Vice President; I don’t really know whether he or the President are ever truly alone. But, as for the principle of meeting alone with your boss . . . .
Let’s say you and I each discover that a coworker is mistreating another employee, or cheating on expense reports, or what have you. But it’s a powerful coworker. How do we tell our boss? I pop in, shut the door, and report the problem. If it’s a male boss who won’t meet with women alone, you have to have a witness to the fact that you reported the coworker. Or you have to report it in writing, which might tick off your boss (or publicly, which
should tick off your boss).
Some projects are confidential, even to the point of not discussing them with co-workers (granted, not necessarily in every industry; but it’s true of many). I can have off-the-cuff discussions with our boss about such projects; you can’t (again, under the Pence paradigm).
I have no idea how Pence handled confidential annual reviews of female employees. Maybe he just didn’t have any?
You have to have someone there when you go in to tell the boss that you won’t be at the annual fill-in-the-blank because that’s your due date. I can just walk and say I’m preg… Wait. Okay, bad example.
In the last year I’ve probably had four or five dozen closed-door, one-on-one meetings with my opposite-gender boss. The door was closed for a reason, and my point is that I get to have them and women working for men who won’t do that don’t.
The truly important meetings with your boss behind closed doors are the ones where your future gets discussed. If you and I both work for Pence, I get more of those meetings than you do. And studies have shown that that means I get better assignments, raises, promotions, references, etc.