blackforest
Well-known member
Some people judge us as immodest and “trying to look sexy” while others just judge us as “fat.” Either way, it doesn’t feel much like a compliment. 
This is a very good point!Yeah. I don’t think modesty means hiding your God-given femininity.
Honestly, I think you’re reading too much into this. A better approach would be to clarify intentions with questions, e.g. "Are you saying that . . . " or “Do you believe that . . . ?”Fishing for compliments seem to be the wrong proverb, but I mean more a matte way of complaining with the result of forming a female Christian Identity, in the way of " real Catholic women have curves".
This is true. I wasn’t trying to give a complete over-all look at everything that could be considered modest but was more addressing the “curvier woman” issue by comparing the difference between a modest dress in which you can still tell that it is a woman’s body and what some deem as modest in which one has to hide or minimize that they are actually a woman.Slight pet peeve - those are lovely dresses, but it often seems the examples of “modest clothing” all end up in that same style - long, flowing, soft sort of pastel dresses.
Yes, this may be true. I think I feel sometimes a bit strange in this discussions because the posts reflect often - for me, maybe just in my mind - some sort of catholic “real women have curves” campaign. Apologizes when I have a weak point here or am overreactingMight you consider that what you are expressing here is your personal preferences/dislike regarding the “real women have curves campaign”? None of us have referenced that campaign or a need to see women of all body types referenced in Catholic popular media (which is what the real women have curves movement was about: popular media).
I get your point, but I think we have to be careful not to presume the motives of other people.These are an attempt to hide that one is a woman which gives the message that women’s bodies are “bad.”
Of course. There is nothing wrong with jumpers per se. However, there is a certain brand of modesty culture that promotes that “sack dress” look as the only acceptable one in which women can protect men from temptation.I think we have to be careful not to presume the motives of other people.
I really doubt that’s the reason. I’m sure it’s to avoid being in a situation where someone could allege that something inappropriate occurred.Pence doesn’t want to be alone because he can’t handle the temptation, so he therefore treats women differently - to their detriment.
I think it took me til college to realize there were clothing options other than “tomboy”, “pastel floral”, and “barely dressed.” Which admittedly may be in part a testament to my observational skills. So I like to highlight that there’s a variety of ways individual women look that are still modest. Lots of us aren’t the stereotypical girlie-girl.This is true. I wasn’t trying to give a complete over-all look at everything that could be considered modest but was more addressing the “curvier woman” issue by comparing the difference between a modest dress in which you can still tell that it is a woman’s body and what some deem as modest in which one has to hide or minimize that they are actually a woman.
Considering that modesty = humility, this is an excellent point.Looking at it this way can mean that I find even head coverings and long skirts can be immodest. If you’re dressing that way to prove how virtuous you are (“look at me! I’m being ultra modest!”), in a way it’s just as bad as wearing a string bikini (“look at me! I’m sexy!”). Your manner of dress shouldn’t draw attention to yourself except for providing a mild non-verbal expression.
https://www.bokitta.com/clothing/blue-butti-umrah-set-3-pcs.htmlUhm, I think this is a very self-preservative attitude to take in this day and age, when anyone can turn around and accuse someone of something unsavory and they are immediately assumed guilty in the eyes of the public…So, yeah, I give him credit for being smart enough not to let himself be put in situations where the PERCEPTION could be negative. I don’t think he’s afraid he’ll sin, he’s afraid people will assume he is sinning. But that’s just my 2 cents.Side note - I was shocked when Vice President Pence said he never meets with a woman alone, as the temptation to commit adultery would be too great. He won’t drink alcohol near a woman without his wife. This INCLUDES treating his staff members differently if they are female