Charismatic Renewal in decline?

• Thread starter Thread starter gnome
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
40.png
gnome:
A charismatic parish with 7000 families? Is this a part of City of the Lord which I read from CatholicSun:

"City of the Lord members celebrate 30 years of ministry with Mass on September 30

In a culture ever compromising its values, this lay community of families, singles, priests and consecrated persons aims at “renewal of the Church and the world” with a Spirit-centered approach. For three decades, members have committed themselves to serving each other and the Phoenix Diocese with the gifts of the Holy Spirit.

Known as the People of Joy until 1984, City of the Lord evolved from the Charismatic Renewal of 1967. In 1990, they became members of the Catholic Fraternity of Charismatic Covenant Communities and Fellowships, a private association of lay faithful. Today they are a thriving community of more than 700 members spread out among five California and Arizona branches."
Not that I know of. I attend St. Timothy’s in Mesa Arizona, and although our website says over 5000 families, at last count it was over 7000. Thats not to say that some of our parish members aren’t members of what you describe. That sounds more like an order than a parish. Do you live in Arizona?

John of Woking:
I used to be a Charismatic. It was good for that stage of my life. Now I prefer to call upon the Holy Spirit in humble docile prayer such as the Rosary. I found sometimes it all descended into emotional psychobabble. That said the Charismatic movement is a force for good but it is hast o be handled with care.
My situation is somewhat similar. However, If it was not for the CR I might not be Christian today. It came to me when it seemed like the only thing that would get through to me was supernatural experiences. I was so poorly catechized, and had mostly bought into modernism. CR opened my eyes to the reality of God and to the possibility of a personal relationship with him.
I have not been involved with the CR for a couple decades now. I pray in tongues rarely; during those times when I just can’t seem to get into a prayerful spirit and have already said a bunch of the traditional ones.

It sometimes seems like the experience also helped me to recognize when God is speaking to me. However, I kind of think that this is just a standard, typical, thing that happens to all active and practicing Christians. I would be interested in others thoughts regarding this.

40.png
JamesD:
My situation is somewhat similar. However, If it was not for the CR I might not be Christian today. It came to me when it seemed like the only thing that would get through to me was supernatural experiences. I was so poorly catechized, and had mostly bought into modernism. CR opened my eyes to the reality of God and to the possibility of a personal relationship with him.
I have not been involved with the CR for a couple decades now. I pray in tongues rarely; during those times when I just can’t seem to get into a prayerful spirit and have already said a bunch of the traditional ones.

It sometimes seems like the experience also helped me to recognize when God is speaking to me. However, I kind of think that this is just a standard, typical, thing that happens to all active and practicing Christians. I would be interested in others thoughts regarding this.
I totally agree with you my involvement with the movement followed fast on the heels of my conversion. There was a bit too much pride in many of the charismatics I met. (I know I should look at the log in my own eye first!)The phrase ‘baptised in the spirit’ became pretty irritating after a while as well. There is but one baptism of water and the spirit. I used to pray in tongues but that is a fruit of our baptism/;confirmation. I did not suddenly become baptised in the spirit when I was involved in the movement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back