Charleton Heston-- dead today at age 85

  • Thread starter Thread starter ac_claire
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I remembered when his staff turned into a snake, Coolest thing I evers saw. Also liked that green mist seeping through Eygpt striking down the first born. They don’t movies like that anymore.

I was about 6 years old in my first year of Catehchism when I saw the movie. I went back to school on Monday, and when Sister Dolores talked about the 10 Commanndments it took on a whole NEW meaning.
 
I am saddened to hear that Charlton Heston has gone home to his eternal reward. May the perpetual light shine upon and may he rest in peace.
I had the pleasure of seeing him in person at the Alex theater in Glendale,CA at a revival of Ben Hur. He was wonderful and a great Gentleman. When he walked out onto the stage he got a 20-30min. standing ovation. There was no dry eye and only hoarse voices from rejoicing that night in the early 90s.
He will be sorely missed!😦
I know, I’ll be watching “Ben Hur” tonight.
 
I didn’t know he’d gone till I read this now. LIke many here, he will always be Moses first to me. Our class was taken by the nun…was it two nuns?..to see this when it opened. Dating myself here.

No wonder his movies were on last night. I don’t always pay attention to the tv, even when it’s on. Duh…

Rest in peace, Charlie. (how irreverent of me, but I think he’d laugh)

May God have mercy on his soul, and let perpetual light shine upon him.

May his soul, and the souls of all the faithful departed, though the mercy of God, rest in peace. Amen.
 
…
Rest in peace, Charlie. (how irreverent of me, but I think he’d laugh)

May God have mercy on his soul, and let perpetual light shine upon him.

May his soul, and the souls of all the faithful departed, though the mercy of God, rest in peace. Amen.
Had to say this - Re the “Charlie” reference? He’d not only laugh - but not irreverent either – did you know??? That he was born John Charles Carter. His Mom remarried to a Mr. Heston. The actor’s stage name is a combination of his mother’s maiden name - Charlton - and his stepfather’s second name - Heston.
 
I hadn’t heard about this until now… 😦

So many great movies, but I’ll mentionTouch of Evil, since no one else has, yet.

May the Lord bless him, and lead him into Heaven.

Sam, the Neon Orange Knight
 
As I get older, some of these celebrity deaths start hitting me harder.

My personal Heston fav was The Warlord where he played a Norman knight just prior to the Conquest–while one could kibitz on props and such, Heston, Richard Boone, and the rest of the cast did a good job of portraying a medieval mindset
 
Just watched ‘El Cid’ again in his honour … ‘for God, Alfonso and Spain!’ :knight2:
 
Rest in peace, Mr. Heston. 😦

He’s like the quintessential Moses for many, isn’t it?
He’s played a lot of characters, including John the Baptist, El Cid, Judah ben-Hur, etc.
 
I hadn’t heard about this until now… 😦

So many great movies, but I’ll mentionTouch of Evil, since no one else has, yet.

May the Lord bless him, and lead him into Heaven.

Sam, the Neon Orange Knight
Great movie.

May he rest in peace.
 
Charlton Heston was one of my all-time favorite actors, and I enjoyed his over-the-top style. I thought he was great in all the roles already mentioned in this thread. There are a couple more I’d like to mention. The first was the hilarious cameo he did in Wayne’s World 2. The second was his terrific performance as The Player King in Kenneth Branagh’s version of Hamlet. I don’t think most people realize what an outstanding Shakespearean actor he was, both on stage and film.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top