I always use my nickname and while there’s no “y”, there is an “ie” at the end. I despise my full first name. I could not explain why…I believe it’s because I associate it with condescension and disrespect, because it goes back to when I was younger and people refusing to call me my preferred name, even when I asked (“but I like your full name better!” “Great, I don’t!”). I’ve thought of using my middle name instead, but by this point, it would probably only confuse people. Just saying, people who call me by my full first name will not generate a response. Once you know what I prefer to be called, that is what you call me. I don’t care who you are, how old you are, whatever.
It depends on the person. You call them what they ask you to call them, nothing more, nothing less. That’s respectful, not a bunch of silly formalities.
Adult is about action, not what your name is.
And yes, I refer to my dad as Daddy. I’m 20, live on my own, and pay my bills while attending school full time and running two organizations, as well as getting involved in pro-life work. I NEED a way to be childlike!