Childish first names for adults

  • Thread starter Thread starter m_crane
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
My family including my dh calls me Lizzy. It would be weird if they didn’t. My dd ends in an ie so she’ll always have the y sound.
 
I actually go by my middle name (Suzanne) and get called Annie by most people. My 2.5 yr old daughter calls my brother Uncle Danny-- its so cute to here her say her prayers! God Bless Unc’a Danny-- but neither of my sisters go by a nickname we’ve always used their full names. My immidiate family still calls me by my childhood nickname (Tammy) which drives me insane. I can’t stand my first name and have gone by my middle since I began college.

I however, gave my daughter a name that (supposidly) didn’t have any short forms-- Kaylee. Oops. I started them 😃 Now she gets called Kay-Kay, Peas (short from Sweet Peas) and Bannana, because her best friend is Monkey.

Oh well, I love nicknames 😉
 
My 2.5 yr old daughter calls my brother Uncle Danny-- its so cute to here her say her prayers! God Bless Unc’a Danny–
I forgot to mention there are like three other Daniels in our extended family so one’s Daniel, one’s Dan, one’s Danny (my brother) and then for whatever reason the fourth one is Peter. :ehh:
 
I have always thought it was endearing. I think it is a sign of affection.
 
Most of my closest friends like their names to be childish- in a way- Becky and Jamer for example! LOL They don’t go by Rebecca or Jamie, lol… My other two have out grown theirs…lol…One of them gets kinda touchy the other is ok with it as long as it’s not a daily thing! LOL
 
I have always thought it was endearing. I think it is a sign of affection.
It depends on who’s using the name, I think. If it’s your mother, then fine, But at work, “Danny” and “Joey” and “Billy” are what you would expect the caretaking staff to be called; not the management staff. Once you’re the CEO, you can go back to being called “Danny” or whatever, but while you’re moving up the ladder, you want to be “Dan” or “Daniel.”
 
It depends on who’s using the name, I think. If it’s your mother, then fine, But at work, “Danny” and “Joey” and “Billy” are what you would expect the caretaking staff to be called; not the management staff. Once you’re the CEO, you can go back to being called “Danny” or whatever, but while you’re moving up the ladder, you want to be “Dan” or “Daniel.”
And if male, you want to wear thick glasses that make you look order and shave only once or twice a week to look more alpha. And don’t you dear wear a different suit than everybody else does. 😛 Seriously, though, Danny the Director doesn’t sound serious enough. I wouldn’t be as cautious about Katie the Director, but Danny would make me wonder.
 
It depends on who’s using the name, I think. If it’s your mother, then fine, But at work, “Danny” and “Joey” and “Billy” are what you would expect the caretaking staff to be called; not the management staff. Once you’re the CEO, you can go back to being called “Danny” or whatever, but while you’re moving up the ladder, you want to be “Dan” or “Daniel.”
Doesn’t seem to hold true in the political world, though.

Jimmy Carter

Bobby Kennedy

Bobby Gendall

And my all time favorite Scooter Libby. How can you take someone called “Scooter” seriously?
 
Doesn’t seem to hold true in the political world, though.

Jimmy Carter

Bobby Kennedy

Bobby Gendall

And my all time favorite Scooter Libby. How can you take someone called “Scooter” seriously?
Those guys were at the top of the food chain. It’s when you’re in the middle of it that you need a real name. Top or bottom, you can get away with having a baby’s name, but in the middle, and hopefully moving up the chain, you need a real name.
 
And my all time favorite Scooter Libby. How can you take someone called “Scooter” seriously?
I think I was a child or teenager at the time when he was in the news, but I had always thought that he was either a cartoon character or a comedian - I never realized he was a serious politician. 😛
 
In politics, personality matters more. You can’t just be another self-propelled suit with a mind for making the business roll, you need to present yourself on a more holistic level. Plus, you can be the boy next door if that’s how you feel (let’s not believe it’s all PR).
 
I think I was a child or teenager at the time when he was in the news, but I had always thought that he was either a cartoon character or a comedian - I never realized he was a serious politician. 😛
And that football player “Booger” McFarland.:rotfl:
 
My mother who is now in heaven along with my Father called me muffin even into my adult years and I called them mommy and daddy into to my adult years especially my father since I was a daddys girl and I ask them both to intercede for me in heaven and to watch over me along with our blessed mother and the holy trinity
 
Haven’t read the whole thread but has anyone mentioned adding ‘O’ at the end of names?
Like Damo for Damien -
Tomo for Thomas
Timo for Timothy
Shano for shane
Stevo for steve

I have friends and co-workers who HATE being called their full name ie Daniel.
 
Haven’t read the whole thread but has anyone mentioned adding ‘O’ at the end of names?
Like Damo for Damien -
Tomo for Thomas
Timo for Timothy
Shano for shane
Stevo for steve

I have friends and co-workers who HATE being called their full name ie Daniel.
Firstly, just a loose reflection, but it was a popular custom in the Byzantine Empire with feminine first names (e.g. Ioanno, Theophano, etc.), albeit I cannot imagine some of the Greek names undergoing that transformation.

Never heard any of the names you mention in that form, though. Some others, yeah, but not those.

What else? In the middle ages there was some forms that were neither the full name nor a strikingly childish diminution. Polish knights more often used those names than not. Incidentally, “o” was a popular ending. German of French folks did really weird things to their names sometimes.

In my oh so humble opinion, people who can’t stand being addressed with their legal names have some issues they need to get over. I would understand Jedediah or something like that, but Daniel is a normal name. Maybe it invokes association with parents using diminutions when being happy with the child and full name when not. That could explain resentment.
 
I’m good with “Johnny”, “Danny” etc… The only things that make me cring are when people try to name their kids stuff like “4real” or some other such non-sense.
 
It drives my son batty when he meets someone for the first time and they immediately shorten his name to “Nick.” He does not go by “Nick,” even with people who know him, and particularly resents it when people he doesn’t really know shorten his name for him.

For some weird reason, some people (not relatives) insist on calling me “Marie.” My name is not, and never has been, Marie. It’s Maria. I’m Italian, not French!
 
yeah thats a strange pet peeve. but to each his own. I still call my husband Marty…his name is Martin. My name is Priscilla…he calls me Prissy. They are his parents and as parents we will ALWAYS SEE OUR CHILDREN as our kids. I tell my girls…no matter what age they are 8 or 80…they will always be my babies. So I will always call Rebekah…Bekah or Beky, Erykah=E.J. Monikah=Kiki or Moni or my Jesykah=Jesy

Now if YOU dont want to call him Johny…and just John, then call him John. The problem arises if his family members ask you “Well we call him Johny why dont you?” it happend to me with my husband granny. I call him Martin in front of her, for some reason, I dont know I just do. I was talking to her and she just interupted me and said “Why do you call Marty Martin. Call him Marty. When you say Martin I think of MY SON.” I just shrugged.

So just be respectful, let them call him Johny, you call him John. 👍
 
There’s a really funny Monty Python sketch, where the interviewer (John Cleese) is speaking to someone called “Sir Richard” (I think it’s Michael Palin?) and it devolves from Richard, to Rick, to Ricky, to Dicky Baby, with Sir Richard being okay with it at first, and then just getting redder and more upset every time - it’s quite hilarious - in the end the interviewer actually calls him by a baby girl’s name, but I can’t remember what it was - anyway, just a real send-up of idiots who mess around with people’s names.
 
If any question arises, just ask someone how they would like to be addressed. I have never had a nickname but always went by my first and middle names. Some friends of mine, in their youth, went by diminutives such as “Chris” for “Christopher”, or “Judy” for “Judith”, and now are using their full names. And, strange as it may seem, some people are christened with names that appear like nicknames but really are not. I went to high school with a boy who called himself “Dan”, which we of course assumed was short for “Daniel”. Turned out his parents had actually named him “Danny Joe.”

Some people prefer being addressed by a nickname, others are offended. For instance, I would not start calling someone “Tony” if he were introduced to me as “Anthony.”.unless he said otherwise.

It may grate on some people’s nerves to hear childish nicknames applied to adults, but if the nickname is what that person likes to be called, that is their prerogative.

(The man I hope to marry calls me “Peeper” because of my fondness for birds, and I call him “Tweetie” or “Sweet Pea”, which amuses a lot of people, and we are both approaching 50.) Peace be with all of you.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top