Christmas

  • Thread starter Thread starter Tinkerbell
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess they will do or say anything to keep from going to church. Dec. 25th is set aside is to celebrate the birth of our Lord and Saviour so I just don’t understand their logic.
And last year, when Dec 25 was a Sunday, many Protestants all had “wonderful” reasons why they cancelled church altogether. They were all busy “worshipping” at home. :rolleyes:
 
And last year, when Dec 25 was a Sunday, many Protestants all had “wonderful” reasons why they cancelled church altogether. They were all busy “worshipping” at home. :rolleyes:
For many non-liturgical Christians Christmas Day is a family holiday, not a religious one. They “celebrate” by doing all the conventional things our culture does–open presents by the tree and have a big meal together. It could be the Fourth of July for all the religious connotations it has for many of them.
 
Where did she get this? Because, I have to tell you, I have never heard of anything remotely like this in the Methodist Church.
Sounds more like SDAs to me…Either that, or one of these little “nondenominational” churches that kinda make things up as they go along…
 
Oh no, I can tell you it is quite true. My colleague at work is Church of Christ and today we had our annual Christmas pot-luck luncheon. No singing of Christmas carols, no mention of Our Lord’s birth, a simple pot-luck lunch with people wearing Santa hats and felt reindeer horns - you know all those terribly Catholic things. He went home nor would he touch any of the foods. We have a similar luncheon at Thanksgiving which he participates in. He’s not rude about it but to me it’s off the deep end for a professional. And he is married to a Catholic who converted to his faith and they are raising a little girl for whom half of her family is Catholic and does celebrate Christmas. I feel most sorry for his daughter who is denied the joys of Christmas because he is, and we have a word for it y’all, too scrupulous.
 
That reference to Paul’s statement was addressed in another thread.

You observe days and months and season and year. 11 I am afraid for you, lest I have labored for you in vain.

That verse is taken out of context. Paul was talking to a group who were falling back to their old pagan beliefs observing Pagan festivals. He was not talking about Christian holidays. Twisting Scripture again.

You might also tell them that not everything is in the bible. It would be more correct to say that something contradicts something in the bible, and no where does the bible say NOT to celebrate the birth of our Saviour.
 
Where did she get this? Because, I have to tell you, I have never heard of anything remotely like this in the Methodist Church.
Sounds more like SDAs to me…Either that, or one of these little “nondenominational” churches that kinda make things up as they go along…
My friend is a fallen away Catholic who now attends the Methodist Church. The bulletin was sent to her from the Church of Christ.
I’m so sad when someone leaves the Catholic Church and I want to be very careful how I answer questions since neither one of us are bible schoolars. We both agreed it was off base.
 
OK, that makes more sense…I mean, not that they don’t celebrate Christmas, which I think is dreadful…
Just that, it didn’t sound like anything I would expect from us Methodists…

That’s…You know, I cannot for the life of me understand how anyone could call themselves Christians, & refuse to celebrate His birth!
I mean, it’s like the old bumper sticker: “Jesus is the Reason for the Season”!!
 
Many are shocked, however, to find that the new testament is completely void of any reference to Christians observing a special day in honor of Christ birth.
Why would anyone be shocked by this? The bible says almost NOTHING of what Christians did. Acts talks about communal life and the fact that the early Christians were “devoted to the communal life, to the breaking of bread in their homes and to the prayers”
OP:
In fact history show tha the man made observance of Christmas was unknow until the fourth centery AD.
False. History does not show what was unknown. History reveals what was known through evidence. For example, we have evidence that Ignatious used the term “Catholic Church” around 90 AD. We know, therefore, that the term was reasonably common from that point forward, but we do not know whether it was common in 60 AD NOR DO WE KNOW THAT IT WAS NOT COMMON.
OP:
Thus we take issue with those who advocate the slogan “Lets keep Christ in Christmas” .
This is not a conclusion that flows from the statements which preceded it and is so absurd that it doesnt even warrant attention.
OP:
scholars and historians agree that Christmas came about as a result of mingling pagan and humanistic teaching.
If this mingling is done to glorify God it is a good thing. Christmas is a celebration of the birth of Jesus Christ, our Lord and Saviour. The bible does not prohibit it. Any elements of Christmas which are contrary to the teachings of Jesus and which fail to focus on God’s love of humanity are contrary to the celebration of Christmas.
OP:
… However, may we point out that there are some things that are morally right but religiously wrong.
Good luck - an example of something that is morally right but religiously wrong? Impossible.
OP:
For example, Jesus comdemned the Pharisees for demanding that men wash thier hands before eating. There is nothing morally wrong with washing one’s hands before eating, but to do so as a religious rite or as an act of worship is unauthoried by God and therefore sinful.
We are no longer talking about washing hands then - we are talking about lacking interior spirituality and attempting to lead others in vain rituals. Just look at the whole last sentence edited to realize how contradictory it is: “There is nothing morally wrong with washing one’s hands…but…(it)…is…sinful” Ridiculous. Washing hands is not a moral issue - pretending to do so as a vain ritual to impress others is what is wrong. Just like it is morally wrong to pray out loud on the street corner so that others will see you.
OP:
In the same way, to enjoy the holidays (not Holy Days) with family and friends if fine. However, to observe a day religously as a special Holy Day which is completely without New testament authority is wrong.
Completely false. Which verse in the New Testament specifically and unambiguously says that any holiday without NT authority is wrong? Chapter and verse please. Next, which verse specifically addresses not celebrating Christmas?
Chapter and verse please.
OP:
The apostle Paul wrote:
10 You observe days and months and season and year. 11 I am afraid for you, lest I have labored for you in vain.
A pathetic attempt at pulling it all together. This doesnt even begin to address all the man made garbage that was introduced in the preceeding paragraphs. It is ridiculously irrelevent.
OP:
Christians of the first century met each first day of the week to remember Christ’s death by observing the Lord’s Supper and to give of the means.
Chapter and verse please. As I said, in ACTS they met DAILY, not simply on the first day of the week. They said THE prayers - they didnt simply pray randomly - and they were breaking bread. If we want to use first century, non-Scriptural historical info as our basis for what is proper Christian etiquette - as is being done here, only cloaked as biblical using the term “first century” then the picture of what was being done is a very Catholic picture.
OP:
This is what you will fing amoung faithful Christians today. Our aim is simply to return to the new Testament pattern whick is the only basis for Christian unity.
Chapter and verse please - where is the “NT pattern” identified in Scripture and put forth as the only basis for Christian unity? It’s simply not there. Where is this theoretical pattern located historically? The Catholic Church. That is the reality.
Go read the Didache - its first century Christianity and it is undeniably Catholic.
OP:
So what to you think about this.
I think it is well-intentioned ignorance resulting from recent tradition.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top