Church Attendance/Participation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting, I guess we are visiting/attending/attended much different mainline Protestant churches. I’ve noted a little of what you say in the list (not for the snarky reasons you list) but still interesting enough.
Which denominations do you define as “mainline?” Because most or all of the ones I would define as such have female clergy, don’t take Lent seriously, allow doubt of Biblical miracles (even the Resurrection!), and don’t want to hear about personal sin.

This:
non-denominational, and Prysbaterian churches are thriving.
Makes me think we’re thinking of different things because, sort of by definition, non-denominational churches are not mainline.

Last edited:
Which denominations do you define as “mainline?” Because most or all of the ones I would define as such have female clergy, don’t take Lent seriously, allow doubt of Biblical miracles (even the Resurrection!), and don’t want to hear about personal sin.
When I think mainline, around here, that’s mainly the Lutheran churches. Like I said above, I have noted some of the stuff from OPs list (not all) but not for the snarky reasons indicated.
Makes me think we’re thinking of different things because, sort of by definition, non-denominational churches are not mainline.
Maybe, like I said (in the rest of the quote that was cut off) “around here” the Lutheran, non-denom and Presbyterian churches are thriving. That’s what we have in my geographical area outside of the Catholic church. I noted in my are these churches are thriving (especially the Lutheran and one non-denom. churches). They have really been growing in the last couple years.

When I think mainline, around here, that’s mainly the Lutheran churches. Like I said above, I have noted some of the stuff from OPs list (not all) but not for the snarky reasons indicated.

(Please Note: This uploaded content is no longer available.) HopkinsReb:
I think there’s just a misunderstanding of terms here. “Lutherans” is not a mainline denomination; The Evangelical Lutheran Church of America is a mainline denomination, while the Lutheran Church Missouri Synod is not. The Presbyterian Church (USA) is a mainline denomination, while the Presbyterian Church in America is not.

The ELCA church here is growing exponentially.
That’s definitely a mainline.
The Presbyterian Church is what is in our area and I’m basing my opinion of.
Which Presbyterian church? This is my point: there are a huge number of Presbyterian denominations in the US, and only one of them is mainline (PCUSA). They’re called the “split P’s” for a reason.

Which denominations do you define as “mainline?”
So when I refer to mainline, I mean:
  • United Church of Canada (formed in the early 20th C with the merger of Methodists, Congregationalists and some Presbyterians)
  • Presbyterian Church of Canada
  • Evangelical Lutheran Church in Canada (not Missouri or Wisconsin Synod)
  • Anglican Church of Canada (not ANiC or Anglican Catholic)

Good observations.
Human beings are lost without meaning, purpose, identity, truth.
We want to know who we are, what we are meant for, what our destiny is. These things are wired into human beings.
Christianity (should) call humanity to fulfillment, not stumble into “meh”.

It certainly played a role in my conversion from protestantism. It seemed as though where I was defined itself in the negative. That is, " we are not the Roman Catholic Church." And it finally struck me that every denomination has its relationship with Rome as part of its identity.

If the Catholic Church had not remained steadfast in Her faith, it seemed unlikely to me that protestantism would stick with this identification as it would be meaningless.

I guess I would respond with; That’s not the “Protestant viewpoint”, it’s a people viewpoint. I know protestants that would wholeheartedly disagree with the viewpoints in that list and Catholics who would 100% agree with it.

40.png
TC3033:

I think there’s just a misunderstanding of terms here. “Lutherans” is not a mainline denomination; The Evangelical Lutheran Church of America is a mainline denomination, while the Lutheran Church Missouri Synod is not. The Presbyterian Church (USA) is a mainline denomination, while the Presbyterian Church in America is not.

Q:​

Can there really be a definitive term for “mainline Protestant denomination” since no ONE is in charge of any “denomination” and there are soooooo many sects and divisions, and the like in Protestantism to make anyone of them mainline?

Consider The Many Flavors of Protestantism | Catholic Answers

Last edited:
40.png
HopkinsReb:
40.png
TC3033:

Can there really be a definitive term for “mainline Protestant denomination” since no ONE is in charge of any “denomination” and there are soooooo many sects and divisions, and the like in Protestantism to make anyone of them mainline?

Don’t waste our time. Yes, the term “mainline” is meaningful.

40.png
steve-b:
40.png
HopkinsReb:
40.png
TC3033:

Don’t waste our time. Yes, the term “mainline” is meaningful.
😆 you obviously didn’t read the link.

Mainline Protestant churches have been falling all over themselves to be relevant for decades and nothing has arrested the numerical decline in the number of adherents. They have: allowed clergy to marry…
That’s not a recent phenomenon. Protestant clergy have been married ever since the “Reformation”. Only (most) Catholic and monastic Orthodox clergy remain celibate. There are small communities of Anglican and Lutheran religious, as well as Taize and even a community of Methodist monks and nuns (yes, that surprised me too).

This is fair:
Over time, a number of movements have emerged in Protestantism that cut across these traditions. By the twentieth century, many historic Protestant denominations had become more theologically liberal, though they still contained conservative congregations and individuals. In the 1920s, they came to be known as “mainline” Protestant churches, and they include representatives of all the major Protestant traditions except Pentecostalism.

Mainline denominations were criticized by more conservative ones, who came to be called “fundamentalists” because they favored The Fundamentals—a twelve-volume set of books advocating conservative positions. Over time, the origin of the term was largely forgotten, and today fundamentalist is a term used to refer to very conservative Protestants (as well as members of other groups and even other religions, e.g., “fundamentalist Muslims”). The term also has taken on negative connotations. If someone is called a fundamentalist, it suggests that he is doctrinally rigid and hostile to other viewpoints. For this reason, the term should be used only for those few Christians who apply it to themselves. Otherwise, it becomes an insult that adds more heat than light.

Because of the negative connotations the term acquired, conservative Protestants needed a different and more positive term for themselves, and in the United States they began to call themselves “evangelicals.” This can be confusing since the term evangelical has been used in other senses. In Europe, it is applied to mainline Protestant churches or, alternately, to anyone who strongly favors evangelism (i.e., preaching the gospel).

However, in the United States evangelical generally indicates a conservative Protestant who distances himself from the rigidity associated with fundamentalism, though the term is fluid and not all who identify themselves as evangelical fit this profile.

Last edited:
The Presbyterian and Lutheran churches are going downhill fast in my towns and my husband’s hometown. Non-denom is doing a bit better because their churches are more like entertainment and social venues.
Same in our area of the country (Northern Illinois). There are several large church buildings for sale in our city, all mainline churches that have closed.

The only Evangelical and non-denominational churches that are for sale are that way because the church outgrew the building and moved to a bigger location!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back