First of all, I am a man.
Not that that’s exceptionally relevant, but there you go.
And no, there is probably nothing anymore that could be shown to me, unless it is clearly from Scripture, to cause me to abandon ABC.
But that is not why I am leaving the Roman Church. I am leaving it because there are a number of teachings given by the ordinary magisterium that I refuse to accept (ABC is not one of them).
I hold that some women can and should be priests.
I hold that people can take the Eucharist, and should, at protestant churches.
Roman Church’s communion should be open to all those who profess Christ as Lord and believe themselves in God’s grace. This includes many Lutherans, many Anglicans, and many other Protestants.
I hold that protestants are just as Christian as those of the Roman Church.
I hold that burning heretics is always wrong.
I hold that the Church should not have temporal power.
I hold that transubstantiation happens once the host is consumed, not before, and not after.
And a handful of other things.
Well, that is a lot of ground to cover. Let’s begin at the beginning.
The first issue that I see is that you appear to be a “sola scriptura” person for you wrote “unless it is clearly from Scripture”. Therefore, what I really ought to do is to demonstate to you that the Authority of the Church is from Jesus (not the Bible), and that the Church wrote, canonized and interprets the Bible. From there, I could illustrate how we look to the Church - and not JUST the Bible - for accurate teaching.
That said, there is a scriptural basis for teaching against ABC. Consider this:
“Then Judah said to Onan, “Lie with your brother’s wife and fulfill your duty to her as a brother-in-law to produce offspring for your brother.” 9 But Onan knew that the offspring would not be his; so whenever he lay with his brother’s wife, he spilled his semen on the ground to keep from producing offspring for his brother. 10 What he did was wicked in the LORD’s sight; so he put him to death also.” (Genesis 38:8-10)
Onan had sex with his brother’s wife, but he did not complete the act within her; instead, he spilled his seed on the ground to avoid conception. That is obviously one way to avoid pregnancy, but today we have the technology to create many other artificial means to accomplish the same thing. The end is the same, and all these means are offensive to God.
If you do a Google search on the subject, you will learn that all Protestant denominations taught that ABC was a sin prior to 1930. Today, the Catholic Church stands alone in proclaiming this unpopular doctrine. However, issues of right and wrong are not open to ratification by a show of hands.
As for the reception of the Eucharist by Catholics in Protestant Churches and vice versa, I’m sure you’re aware that most Protestants do not believe in the Real Presence of Christ - body, blood, soul and divinity - in the Eucharist. Consubstantiation is similar to Transubstantiation but not the same. Therefore, they cannot receive our Eucharist because they receive it without recognizing the body and blood of our Lord. Paul wrote:
“27Therefore, whoever eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty of sinning against the body and blood of the Lord. 28A man ought to examine himself before he eats of the bread and drinks of the cup. 29For anyone who eats and drinks without recognizing the body of the Lord eats and drinks judgment on himself.” (1 Corinthians 11:27-29)
Since the Church cannot contradict scripture, I think you can safely take this issue off your list of doctrinal objections.
We, in turn, refrain from participating in their “symbolic” communion because to do so implies a unity that, sadly, does not exist since the time of the Reformation. This same issue of unity applies to those Protestants who do believe in the Real Presence.
The Church does recognize that our separated brethren are worthy of the name of Christian. Paragraph 818 of the Catechism of the Catholic Church reads in part:
"All who have been justified by faith in Baptism are incorporated into Christ; they therefore have a right to be called Christians, and with good reason are accepted as brothers in the Lord by the children of the Catholic Church."272
Clearly, you can remove this complaint from your list.
I agree that burning heretics is wrong. We don’t do that any more, so I think you can take that off your list of grievances.
Finally, the Vatican is the smallest of all states, and it has little if any temporal power. Ironically, it was granted statehood as a protection from those who sought power over it. Again, I think this is an objection that has little weight.
That just leaves two open items: ordination of women and transubstantiation. Big topics and more than I want to tackle tonight, but I think you have enough to consider already.
