Co-habitating house guests - how I handled it

  • Thread starter Thread starter Annemariels
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
A group of Goth kids used to stop by and I’d give them a meal and chit chat with them. Underneath their costumes, they were kids yearning for love and validation. And the pierced, tattooed, multi-colored haired girl from Europe who had no place to go when the dorms closed for the holidays a few years ago? I told my daughter to bring her home, and underneath the girl’s cool and somewhat freaky appearance, she was just a kid missing her family, needing to feel loved. Oh, and how about the 4-year-old I have been watching free of charge every week on my days off since he was born. His sinful unwed young mother earns $9 an hour and struggles to make ends meet. His “father” told his mother to get an abortion - he has never seen the child, might not even know he exists.
While I agree that the cohabitating situation could have been better handled, it sounds to me as though you’re bringing the light of Christ to many people through your hospitality. I just thought I’d point that out because these threads can sound a little negative sometimes. 🙂
 
If I read it correctly, the apologist began the advice with something like “If you can’t ask them to sleep in separate bedrooms…” because somewhere in your question you stated that you (or your husband, can’t remember) said that you could not do that. So I think there was not just the one choice - to make your house unavailable - that was the advice IF you couldn’t ask them to sleep separately…

I am kind of confused - this happened so long ago? Why ask now?
 
That was NOT ME who asked the question of the apologist. It was PeppyDep, whoever that is.

I happened to be on this website for the first time in several months and that post caught my eye. I read it and unfortunately I COMMENTED in a newly created thread what I did in a similar case many years ago.

Unfortunately I have found that there are some very combative Catholics on this website. I thought we were here to help one another understand our beliefs better and found that the most vocal posters tend to be in-your-face bullies. This is NOT a good way to bring people into our faith, or to a greater understanding of our faith. It is a turn-off.
 
**Here is the original question asked by PeppyDep and the answer from Apologist Michelle Arnold. I am NOT PeppyDep.
**

PeppyDep PeppyDep is offline
Trial Membership

Join Date: December 15, 2009
Posts: 1
Religion: Catholic

Default How do I deal with cohabiting guests in my home?

My wife and I are in disagreement about how to deal with her sister and her boyfriend when they visit. They are cohabitating and, when they visit our home, my wife is not comfortable with my asking them to sleep in separate bedrooms. She feels that we would be offending her sister to the point that she will simply not come and visit us again under those rules. I don’t want our children to see this but I would be a hypocrite if I did not admit that my wife and I cohabitated for almost a year before marrying. How do we handle this?

Last edited by Michelle Arnold; Dec 16, '09 at 7:14 pm.

Old Dec 16, '09, 7:13 pm
Michelle Arnold Michelle Arnold is offline
Catholic Answers Apologist

Join Date: May 3, 2004
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 3,716
Religion: Catholic

Default Re: How do I deal with cohabiting guests in my home?

If your wife feels that she cannot ask her sister and her boyfriend to sleep in separate rooms, and you both are worried about appearing to be hypocrites because of your own past cohabitation, then you could simply make your home unavailable for overnight stays whenever cohabitors are in town.

When a visit is proposed, you or your wife might say cheerfully, “We’d be so happy to visit with you then! Where will you be staying while you’re here?” The implication is that your home is not available, but if a cohabitor says, “I thought we’d stay with you,” you can say regretfully, “I’m sorry, but we’re unable to have you stay at the house then. I’d be happy to recommend a good hotel for you.” (Keep a few possibilities in various price ranges posted near your phone for just such a need.)

I recommend not allowing yourself to be pressed into admitting why your house is mysteriously unavailable for overnight stays by cohabitors (but not for married couples like elderly parents). Just turn into a broken record that keeps repeating, “I’m sorry, but it’s just not possible.” Why? “Because it’s just not possible. I’m so sorry.”

“If anyone comes to me, I want to lead them to Him.” --St. Edith Stein

Recent apologetics answers by Michelle Arnold
 
Unfortunately I have found that there are some very combative Catholics on this website. I thought we were here to help one another understand our beliefs better and found that the most vocal posters tend to be in-your-face bullies. This is NOT a good way to bring people into our faith, or to a greater understanding of our faith. It is a turn-off.
Annemariels, are you really serious? Are you surprised that you proudly posted a story of not following Church teaching and inviting a couple into your house and facilitated their fornication, and then got negative responses?

Your post had nothing to do with bringing people into the faith or facilitating a greater understanding of our faith. It was just a story of how you conspired with them to live in your house as if married without your children knowing.

Your other good works and your snarky attitude don’t change that situation.
 
I did not submit my post to proudly boast of how I went against church teaching. I was ignorant in the way I handled those house guests, and in posting about it. My intention was not to thumb my nose at Catholic doctrine as I have been accused of. I admitted I was wrong, and yet I continue to get spanked. I did not know I had committed a sin until I was (harshly) enlightened by you guys.

Also, my post did have something to do with facilitating a greater understanding of our faith - isn’t that what this entire site is about? I feel like I was pounced on and attacked, not corrected with kindness.

Tomorrow night I will confess this sin at our church’s advent reconciliation service. Hopefully the priest won’t slap me around like some of you did for committing this mortal sin at a time when I didn’t know it was a mortal sin. And hopefully God will forgive me.

Many years ago I begged God to let me get in the trenches with Him to do His work. I had no idea that He would bring a steady stream of broken people to my door. I live in a very nice suburb in a five bedroom home with a nicely finished basement that has another sleeping area in it. We are six houses away from our church, where I can and do stop in to pray before Jesus in the tabernacle any time I want.

My next planned guest is a non-Catholic 23-year-old young man from a very small town in Appalachia. His dad died last year, and he lives with his grandparents across the street from his mom because they have an extra bedroom for him. He is in a rut and we are reaching out our hand, helping to get him enrolled in a program at a technical college near our home. He will stay with us, free of charge.

I learned to keep a big pack of toothbrushes from Costco on hand because I just never know who will be here. Once it was a young construction worker who worked the night shift remodeling a local store. He lived almost an hour away and was absolutely exhausted. He had to return to his job in seven hours, which would have meant two hours of driving and a little bit of sleep in between. He appreciated having a place to sleep and was snoring the minute his head hit the pillow. I didn’t know him at all - don’t even know his name. But I was happy I had that extra toothbrush on hand.

Last year I was a planned stopping point for a young woman in an abusive relationship. She was two states away and was going to hopscotch her way to my home, stopping overnight at a couple of places. He did not know me, so her mother asked if her daughter could live with me until they figured things out. I said yes, but she never did come to me. Ended up marrying him instead.

I am so sorry I stopped by and created a problem on this website. It’s time for me to “take my ball and go home”. I guess I am more of a blue collar helper than a white collar one. And you are all right - I am not perfect. Never said I was.

over-and-out
 
That was NOT ME who asked the question of the apologist. It was PeppyDep, whoever that is.

I happened to be on this website for the first time in several months and that post caught my eye. I read it and unfortunately I COMMENTED in a newly created thread what I did in a similar case many years ago.

Unfortunately I have found that there are some very combative Catholics on this website. I thought we were here to help one another understand our beliefs better and found that the most vocal posters tend to be in-your-face bullies. This is NOT a good way to bring people into our faith, or to a greater understanding of our faith. It is a turn-off.
Oooooooohhhh! Okay that makes so much more sense. I don’t know why I did not catch that the question to the apologist and you were two different people! The first thing that was so confusing was the post that stated the couple was married.

So now I finally get it.

Like I said before, I think it is great that you are inviting people into your home, troubled or not. Hospitality is good for everyone. (Some are wealthy but are poor in spirit…).

Just be careful not to aid them in their sin. I really think it is that simple. It’s tough to be honest with people and bring up house rules, but can be done with tact. I think your guests will be better for it.

I do think your original posts sounded far different from this last one. I think people were confused. I certainly was.
 
Wow–how long did they stay at your house? A weekend? Five Days? A week? Are they unable to refrain from sex for one week? Their relationship is going to have serious problems if it is solely based on sex and nothing else.
 
Wow–how long did they stay at your house? A weekend? Five Days? A week? Are they unable to refrain from sex for one week? Their relationship is going to have serious problems if it is solely based on sex and nothing else.
You don’t believe that every time a couple sleeps next to each other they have sex, do you? If so, you must be one tired person!! LOL Seriously, there are many nights I sleep next to my husband and we don’t have sex. I’m sure we cannot assume this couple will have sex simply because they shared a bed.
 
You don’t believe that every time a couple sleeps next to each other they have sex, do you? If so, you must be one tired person!! LOL Seriously, there are many nights I sleep next to my husband and we don’t have sex. I’m sure we cannot assume this couple will have sex simply because they shared a bed.
Agreed. And it seems hasty and judgmental to assume that, just because a couple shares a bed or has sex, “their relationship is … solely based on sex and nothing else.” Cohabitation is a sin, but engaging in a sin does not reduce a relationship to “nothing.”

Back on-topic though: The weekend of my wedding, some of my husband’s friends stayed in his house (the house that was about to become mine the next day.) He told them, with a smile but without apologies, that premarital sex wasn’t allowed under our roof (“If we didn’t get to do it, neither can you!”) He told them well in advance so they could choose to sleep elsewhere, but they laughingly agreed to the house rules.

I agree it’s a sticky situation, especially in a society that emphasizes personal freedom, but we have a right to ask people to abide by our house rules, whether that means removing shoes at the door, not feeding the dog table scraps, or engaging in things which our religion considers “sin.”
 
Wow–how long did they stay at your house? A weekend? Five Days? A week? Are they unable to refrain from sex for one week? Their relationship is going to have serious problems if it is solely based on sex and nothing else.
Seriously? My girlfriend and I have stayed with her parents, both in their home and in vacation cabins that they have rented, and we sleep in the same bed. At their request, we have never engaged in more sexual activity under their roof than a kiss goodnight, and it has never bothered us, we just sleep much better with the other there.

Your assumptions about this couple are nothing more than that.
 
I know this contradicts what the apologist suggested, but when my brother-in-law and his then fiance visited our family, I gave them each their own room and asked them to please make my kids believe they slept separately, even if they stayed in one room.

They were very respectful and understanding, and I never “caught” them in one room. They were very discrete and every day they thanked the two kids whose rooms they “occupied” for giving up their rooms. They made both rooms look lived in, and told the kids how comfortable their beds were. It worked out fine.
It sounds like you handled it graciously and your guests were respectful of your wishes.
 
That was NOT ME who asked the question of the apologist. It was PeppyDep, whoever that is.

I happened to be on this website for the first time in several months and that post caught my eye. I read it and unfortunately I COMMENTED in a newly created thread what I did in a similar case many years ago.

Unfortunately I have found that there are some very combative Catholics on this website. I thought we were here to help one another understand our beliefs better and found that the most vocal posters tend to be in-your-face bullies. This is NOT a good way to bring people into our faith, or to a greater understanding of our faith. It is a turn-off.
Instead, it drives people away. This thread is bringing out the sharks who smell the blood in the water. It reminds me of a feeding frenzy.
 
We have a summer home. I have always handled this situation by just showing the unmarried couple to their own separate rooms. I say nothing. It is obvious what my beliefs and rules are for my home. I’ve never felt it necessary to discuss it with them. What they do outside my home is their business/decision. If they have snuck around in the middle of the night, I haven’t known about it. And if they have, it is their sin, not mine and I did not cooperate with it. All we can do is set our standards. We cannot make anyone follow them. Luckily, I have never had anyone argue with me about it. Afterall, they are guests in my home.
 
We have a summer home. I have always handled this situation by just showing the unmarried couple to their own separate rooms. I say nothing. It is obvious what my beliefs and rules are for my home. I’ve never felt it necessary to discuss it with them.
I think it’s perfectly reasonable to expect your non-married guests to follow your “rules” about sleeping arrangements IF YOU HAVE MADE THEM AWARE OF THE RULES BEFOREHAND. But I can understand how this might be a source of resentment if you decided to spring this on them after they traveled some distance to get to your home.

Personal experience: Several years ago I was in a long-term relationship with a woman. A friend of hers invited us to spend New Years Eve at her house that was two hours away from where I lived. Not a word was said about sleeping arrangements, but given what I knew about this person and way she lived her own life, it never would have occurred to me that she might have a problem with who was sleeping where. Well, during the course of the evening she began to tell us about her recent religious conversion, and when it came time to go to bed, she informed us that under no circumstances would she allow an unmarried couple to share a bed in her home. My girlfriend was furious about having this sprung on us at 1:00 AM and wanted to leave immediately. However, “the weather outside was frightful” and I had a couple of beers in me, so didn’t want to make the drive home in the middle of the night. So rather than make a big deal of something that didn’t have to be a big deal, I slept in the downstairs guest room, and my girlfriend slept in an upstairs guest room. At 7:00 AM, however, she woke me up, dressed and ready to hit the road. She wouldn’t even agree to stay for breakfast.

My point is, if we had known about these sleeping arrangements beforehand, we probably still would have gone, even though we didn’t share our hostess’s beliefs about such things. No big deal. But to have it sprung on us the way it was struck me as being very controlling and holier-than-thou.
 
I agree.
Rick43235
My point is, if we had known about these sleeping arrangements beforehand, we probably still would have gone, even though we didn’t share our hostess’s beliefs about such things. No big deal. But to have it sprung on us the way it was struck me as being very controlling and holier-than-thou.
This is why I show my guests their rooms as soon as they arrive. I don’t make any explanations. I’ve never had anyone question me. If they did, I would simply say that I don’t believe in sleeping together before marriage. I would hope that we wouldn’t get into an argument or discussion about it. If they did I think I would just repeat that " this is your room and that is his/her room" All I can do is provide the appropriate accommdations. What they do from there is their decision. My guests probably know my beliefs a head of time. All I expect is for them to respect my beliefs while in my home.
I think it was wrong for your friend to not warn you beforehand and to spring it on you late at night at the last minute. 🙂
 
Rick, you made a very interesting comment about the state of affairs (no pun intended) currently.

Most people see nothing wrong with living together. Most people see nothing wrong with sleeping together, unmarried, in someone elses house, since they see nothing wrong with it all.

There are pockets of people, however quaint they may be, who still believe that the norm is no cohabitating before marriage, and it would never occur to them to actually lay that down as a ground rule for visitors, because they can’t believe anybody would expect to cohabitate under their roof.
 
I think it was wrong for your friend to not warn you beforehand and to spring it on you late at night at the last minute. 🙂
Ditto. As a guest in someone’s home, you are obligated to comply with their beliefs (within reason). As a host, you are obligated to warn potential guests about any beliefs that are contrary to popular culture (and, in the interest of politeness, refrain from explaining those beliefs with a holier-than-thou attitude.)
 
I think it’s perfectly reasonable to expect your non-married guests to follow your “rules” about sleeping arrangements IF YOU HAVE MADE THEM AWARE OF THE RULES BEFOREHAND. But I can understand how this might be a source of resentment if you decided to spring this on them after they traveled some distance to get to your home.

Personal experience: Several years ago I was in a long-term relationship with a woman. A friend of hers invited us to spend New Years Eve at her house that was two hours away from where I lived. Not a word was said about sleeping arrangements, but given what I knew about this person and way she lived her own life, it never would have occurred to me that she might have a problem with who was sleeping where. Well, during the course of the evening she began to tell us about her recent religious conversion, and when it came time to go to bed, she informed us that under no circumstances would she allow an unmarried couple to share a bed in her home. My girlfriend was furious about having this sprung on us at 1:00 AM and wanted to leave immediately. However, “the weather outside was frightful” and I had a couple of beers in me, so didn’t want to make the drive home in the middle of the night. So rather than make a big deal of something that didn’t have to be a big deal, I slept in the downstairs guest room, and my girlfriend slept in an upstairs guest room. At 7:00 AM, however, she woke me up, dressed and ready to hit the road. She wouldn’t even agree to stay for breakfast.

My point is, if we had known about these sleeping arrangements beforehand, we probably still would have gone, even though we didn’t share our hostess’s beliefs about such things. No big deal. But to have it sprung on us the way it was struck me as being very controlling and holier-than-thou.
It sounds like your girlfriend was embarrassed and that is why she wanted to leave, rather than the sleeping arrangements not being to her liking in the 11th hour.

What if you two had been shown your sleeping arrangements at 1 am and you were in separate rooms because of the set up of the house, or something like that? Would she have left then?
 
It sounds like your girlfriend was embarrassed and that is why she wanted to leave, rather than the sleeping arrangements not being to her liking in the 11th hour.
How in the world did you come to that conclusion? Embarrassed about what? :confused:

No, I think she was upset because her newly religious friend was imposing her newly found morals on two consenting adults who believe differently than she did. Honestly, it wasn’t the sleeping arrangements that we found to be objectionable. It was the way she presumed to impose her “morals” on us at the last moment with no warning. (Especially given the fact that this friend has a rather colorful sexual history herself.)
What if you two had been shown your sleeping arrangements at 1 am and you were in separate rooms because of the set up of the house, or something like that? Would she have left then?
No, I doubt that would have been a problem. Like I said, it wasn’t really the sleeping arrangements, but rather the presumptuous, self-righteous, and completely unexpected imposition of her newly discovered standards that was so objectionable.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top