Coin Shortage in the US

  • Thread starter Thread starter 0Scarlett_nidiyilii
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
If you truly love something, you must set it free! I think it was Sting who said that.
 
There was no singing in ‘Dune‘ (though perhaps there should have been to liven it up and dispel its air of self-seriousness); I’m referring to one of his radio hits.
 
I knew those pre-1965 silver coins had value, just didn’t know the market like you do. But 13x, wow. Is that a function of the current silver price?
 
At the customer service window at the local grocery store there is a sign announcing they are not selling rolled coins right now.
 
I was going to donate all my stamp albums and loose stamps to Salvation Army or Goodwill. If I don’t my heirs will just toss them. If I had the patience I would organize them but I doubt if it’s worth it.
 
Last edited:
Funny story. My husband had some half dollars he was using to pay for something recently. A couple of separate occasions, the young cashiers asked him if the coin was worth 50 cents. They had never seen them before!
 
Are all half dollars JFK half dollars, or is that just a subset?
They’re all Kennedy since 1964. They had Franklin from 1948 to 1963, and before that they had various designs of walking ladies and such.

Edited to add, prior to 1964 there were also some commemorative editions.
 
Last edited:
I understand there are still some silver certificates in circulation. These were issued by JFK Executive Order.
 
Last edited:
I have at least half that amount in change in mason jars up in a cupboard 😌
 
Last edited:
I’ll add to that ,I’ve had he sane 20 dollar bill is in my wallet for at least six months. All purchases go on to my one cash back card AND we haven’t used the cash we got back from 20 19 either😳
 
Last edited:
If I don’t my heirs will just toss them.
Sad, how there is so little appreciation among the current generation for some of the storied and historical, not to mention potentially valuable items left behind by deceased relatives. About the only people who appreciate such things today are those into genealogy, who are intensely curious about their roots and the lives of their ancestors and relatives of that time.

I think most heirs today wouldn’t even take the time to have things appraised to see if they are valuable. A lot of them just don’t care, if it isn’t the latest electronic gismo. And as for the history behind them, they couldn’t care less.

That sense of connectedness seems to have been lost.
 
I will tell him, I think they might have been newer though. He does like to keep things with older dates.
 
I keep a ‘lucky’ $2 bill in my wallet - often it’s the only bill in my wallet!
 
Are they considered lucky? We have a few of those too…in the cupboard with my jar of change 😳
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top