C
CatofAlexandria
Guest
College was most certainly worth the cost for me. I was agnostic when I started college, and I came out a Catholic–mostly thanks to my philosophy classes (at a *public *university). When you seek the truth with knowledge, you will find it.
As for additional opportunities in college? As a previous poster put it, these must be sought out. They are not a part of the curriculum. As an undergraduate, I published a philosophy piece, assisted with cutting-edge scientific research, collaborated with an amazing professor for a thesis, and even grew a Catholic ministry! I also met my husband and a network of Catholic friends.
So, is college worth the cost for everyone? It depends on that person’s calling, goals, opportunity costs, and initiative. From a practical standpoint, it is usually much more economical to get a scholarship from a large, public research institution that draws the most grant money and more research-focused professors. The opportunity for research-assisting and taking graduate level classes will also be much higher. From a faith-based standpoint, what’s the fuss? I guess I don’t understand this because I converted while in college. A tested faith is a stronger faith, to me.
As for additional opportunities in college? As a previous poster put it, these must be sought out. They are not a part of the curriculum. As an undergraduate, I published a philosophy piece, assisted with cutting-edge scientific research, collaborated with an amazing professor for a thesis, and even grew a Catholic ministry! I also met my husband and a network of Catholic friends.
So, is college worth the cost for everyone? It depends on that person’s calling, goals, opportunity costs, and initiative. From a practical standpoint, it is usually much more economical to get a scholarship from a large, public research institution that draws the most grant money and more research-focused professors. The opportunity for research-assisting and taking graduate level classes will also be much higher. From a faith-based standpoint, what’s the fuss? I guess I don’t understand this because I converted while in college. A tested faith is a stronger faith, to me.