Commonweal & US Catholic on my diocese's website...advice needed!

  • Thread starter Thread starter gez722
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
40.png
Lucania:
I read the article and especially that one paragraph about women’s ordination had dissent written all over it.
What is wrong with dissent? As Edward R. Murrow once said, “We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty”. Read any book of saints and you will see that many were dissenters. Jesus himself was a radical dissenter.

I read traditionalist and neotraditionalist text that is far more disloyal to the magesterium, some even saying we have an antipope, but I don’t see anyone rushing to gag them.

Lighten up folks, and thank God for a free press.

Nohome
 
40.png
Nohome:
Jesus himself was a radical dissenter.
But he did so only in the service of the truth.

Dissent in the service of a lie, OTOH, is not to be praised.

– Mark L. Chance.
 
40.png
Nohome:
What is wrong with dissent? As Edward R. Murrow once said, “We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty”. Read any book of saints and you will see that many were dissenters. Jesus himself was a radical dissenter.

I read traditionalist and neotraditionalist text that is far more disloyal to the magesterium, some even saying we have an antipope, but I don’t see anyone rushing to gag them.

Lighten up folks, and thank God for a free press.

Nohome
When did Christ dissent from the truth?
 
40.png
Nohome:
What is wrong with dissent? As Edward R. Murrow once said, “We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty”. Read any book of saints and you will see that many were dissenters. Jesus himself was a radical dissenter.

I read traditionalist and neotraditionalist text that is far more disloyal to the magesterium, some even saying we have an antipope, but I don’t see anyone rushing to gag them.

Lighten up folks, and thank God for a free press.

Nohome
I am not questioning Commweal’s right to exist. I do not agree that a publication such as that one that publishes articles encouraging or condoning going against Church teachings is appropriate to have on a Diocean or Parish website. The writer of the article in question said the following: “Those who struggle for the ordination of women cannot solve the problem in conscience. The Institutional Church needs to change. I can appreciate why some women have left the Catholic Church. But I admire and support as much as I can, those who stay and struggle for change.”
Article 6, #1577 in the Catechism of the Catholic Church says:
“Only a baptised man validly receives the sacred ordination. The Lord Jesus chose men to form the college of the twelve apostles, and the apsotles did the same when they chose collaborators to succeed them in their ministry. The college of bishops, with whom the priests are united in the priesthood, makes the college of the twelve an ever-present and ever-active reality until Christ’s return. The Church recognizes herself to be bound by this choice made by the Lord himself. FOR THIS REASON THE ORDINATION OF WOMEN IS NOT POSSIBLE.”
For those who constantly whine about the ordination of women, the above means NO,not going to happen. Get over it. It’s not about ME,ME, ME!
 
40.png
fix:
When did Christ dissent from the truth?
Never, but he regularly deviated from what was commonly believed to be the truth in his time.

Nohome
 
Commonweal remains oneof the intellectual brihgt spots in American Catholicism. I am a proud subscriber.

I dont’ always agree with Father Curran but I appreciate the opportunity to read his views. It helps with th clarification of my own thought.

Should this forum not be linked on a parish website because of some of the views expressed here?
 
40.png
fix:
I hate to be flip, but should you read Jack Chick to be even more open minded?
Yes, you should read Jack Chick!

Know what the purveyors of theological falseness are saying so that you understand it and are able to refute it.

I read a lot of stuff by anti-Catholics. Knowledge is power.
 
40.png
Nohome:
Never, but he regularly deviated from what was commonly believed to be the truth in his time.

Nohome
The truth is objective and can be known by all. Commonweal too often rejects the truth. What is to be learned from filling one’s mind with error? Should we subscribe to a math journal that continually portrays 2+2=5?
 
Catholics who openly dissent from the magisterial teaching of the Catholic church are by definition not “good” Catholics, even though they may indeed be “churchgoing.” I am a sinner too, but I’m not going to go against the Vicar of Christ.
Jaypeeto2
 
40.png
katherine2:
Commonweal remains oneof the intellectual brihgt spots in American Catholicism. I am a proud subscriber.

I dont’ always agree with Father Curran but I appreciate the opportunity to read his views. It helps with th clarification of my own thought.

Should this forum not be linked on a parish website because of some of the views expressed here?
On this forum I always see hetreodox views quickly refuted.
 
Where does the New Oxford Review fit in, in terms of faithfulness to the Church’s teachings? Any comments?
 
40.png
Richardols:
Yes, you should read Jack Chick!

Know what the purveyors of theological falseness are saying so that you understand it and are able to refute it.

I read a lot of stuff by anti-Catholics. Knowledge is power.
The reason that I started this thread is because the website of my diocese had links to Commonweal and U.S. Catholic under the heading of “Adult Spiritual Formation”. I also read anti-Catholic material (in order to better defend my Faith), but I certainly wouldn’t expect to find links to material like this when I’m looking to further my Catholic education.

After I posted, I found out a lot more about Charles Curran (the author of the Commonweal article that I mentioned earlier). He isn’t even allowed to teach Catholic theology and he’s writing articles for a magazine that my diocese is recommending for my spiritual formation!!!

For anyone interested, I emailed Jimmy Akin for his comments about the Curran article. He responded on his blog:

jimmyakin.org/2005/05/noninfallible_t.html#c5845868
 
Kathy B:
Where does the New Oxford Review fit in, in terms of faithfulness to the Church’s teachings? Any comments?
NOR is generally very hard to the right in Catholicism. They are not quite as hardline as say, The Wanderer or The Remnant, however. They would be quite supportive of quite traditional understandings and applications of the faith. However, they have been well criticized by some very well respected and orthodox Catholics for their tendency towards abrasiveness and, possibly, a certain hyper rigidity. A few other solid Catholic publications, for instance, rufused to accept some of their mocking ads several years ago; and this provoked a healthy debate between the NOR editors and Russel Shaw in their letters to the editor section. There’s some value to be found in some of NORs articles and I would not recommend avoiding the publication (in fact I would suggest that it can be a worthwhile read - though remember I would say the same about Commonweal - though not so much U.S. Catholic, actually), but I would also offer a certain amount of caution that one doesn’t get too drawn into a cranky and critical Catholicism that can be pervasive at times in such publications.

On another forum, someone once listed a pretty good outline of how mainstream Catholic publications with wide distribution range left to right as compared to one another. I’ll have to see if I can track that down.
 
40.png
gez722:
It doesn’t look they are turning around too much. Here’s an article from the June issue:

uscatholic.org/2005/06/featc0506.htm
According to how long it takes to get an issue out, you are being a bit hasty in your judgement. This most likely was put together on the prior watch; and if they are monthly, so probably a few others to come.
 
40.png
fix:
The truth is objective and can be known by all. Commonweal too often rejects the truth. What is to be learned from filling one’s mind with error? Should we subscribe to a math journal that continually portrays 2+2=5?
so, we should take it that you are a regular subscriber?
 
40.png
otm:
so, we should take it that you are a regular subscriber?
Nope, fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me. I know what they are.
 
40.png
katherine2:
By those that confuse orthodoxy and the Republican Party Platform
I myself would say “equate” rather than “confuse.”
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top