Pope Benedict XVI recently wrote that it is a less grave sin to use condoms to prevent transmission of STDs than for purposes of preventing natural pregnancy, but still a sin nonetheless.
He said no such thing. What he said was that male prostitutes with AIDS in Africa who used condoms because they were worried about spreading the disease to others were perhaps showing a sign that they’re beginning to have their immoral ways changed and that there is now a glimmer of hope in their lives. But with the issue of male prostitutes, the sin is not in condom use, but in: a) prostitution; endangering lives by having sex with someone when you have a deadly STD; c) engaging in homosexual relations. This last part is important, because homosexual prostitution is not made more or less of a grave mortal sin through condom use, with or without the presence of disease.
The Pope’s teaching and position, both in public and private, have not deviated from the existing Church position that’s been around for the longest time. It’s understandable that you may have been misled, as this disinformation has been peddled about my the media in an attempt to discredit the Church’s moral teaching by trying to show that it lacks fortitude, consistency, and principal. It’s a cowardly attempt to paint the Church as yet another fallen institution infected with moral and cultural relativism.
So STD infected people should remain celibate?
I suppose of both married partners had the same low-level disease, such as herpes, then it wouldn’t be a big issue. But I could be wrong, as I’m not sure of Church teaching on this particular issue.
Where in the gospels does Jesus say birth control is wrong? I know the church teaches it.
Is this line of thinking an attempt to discredit Church teaching on contraception, or are you trying to learn more? If it’s the former, then I’d ask you where Jesus teaches that rape, paedophilia, or torture are wrong. Jesus didn’t enumerate in exacting detail everything that one must and must not do for the remainder of time. Contraception, including
coitus interruptus, were already part of the Old Testament Moral Law. Besides, as a Catholic, I’m sure you know that the Bible is but one source of Law and teaching.