Confederate flag goes back up for good in Marian GA

  • Thread starter Thread starter mikekle
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apparently the Confederate flag was one of five, each one being the flag of some entity that once governed Georgia; British, French, Spanish, Confederate and U.S.

Seems it would have been odd to omit the Confederate flag from the group, given the purpose of the display.
 
Apparently the Confederate flag was one of five, each one being the flag of some entity that once governed Georgia; British, French, Spanish, Confederate and U.S.

Seems it would have been odd to omit the Confederate flag from the group, given the purpose of the display.
Indeed. And, if anyone gets too offended by the presence of the flag, they only need to drive to Atlanta. The flag flies, and the ash layer remains. Everybody wins!
 
I’m of the generation of kids who grew up watching the Dukes of Hazzard before it was in reruns. Back then the General Lee was just the name of and the confederate flag was just a crazy paint job on a car that did things that were “cool” to my single digit age mind. These symbols started off in my life quite positively.

Divorced from the racial issues of this country’s past, this flag could well be a symbol of Southern Pride and resistance without issue, Indeed I have some real respect for General Lee himself, even if his view on racial equality was too much of his generation; North and South.

For simplicity, we can avoid any discussion of what the Civil War was about. The real association for many citizens of this country, especially people of color, with discrimination and hate groups are enough to make me wonder how we got here. Certainly there has to be a symbol with less baggage to attach feelings of regional pride or resistance to the Federal Government to.
 
I only hope everyone regains their senses before they begin removing historic monuments and even
moving the graves of the dead.
In Memphis they are actually going to move the graves of Gen. Forrest and his wife. :mad:
Disgraceful.

localmemphis.com/story/d/story/council-votes-to-move-nathan-bedford-forrests-rema/12440/x-aa6bzx80iy91LMR_yQ-g
Why in the world would they move graves? That’s like moving Sherman back to Ohio. It’s been way to long of a time to do that. In fact no Civil War graves should really be moved at all. That is unless a family would like a relative moved for some reason. Sorry for the rant I love to read about the Civil War and like Generals on both sides.
 
I only hope everyone regains their senses before they begin removing historic monuments and even moving the graves of the dead.
Moving the dead, unless the person is of a particularly bad reputation, might be going too far.

The problem is that these monuments were put up by a portion of the population without any regard or (name removed by moderator)ut from other portions. If this all feels like senseless revisionism; it’s probably a sign that you are a part of the dominant social group in your society.

We are and have been in the lumbering process of having this discussion that didn’t happen years ago. Just because the volcano is exploding now doesn’t mean there haven’t been tremors for years.
 
Moving the dead, unless the person is of a particularly bad reputation, might be going too far.

The problem is that these monuments were put up by a portion of the population without any regard or (name removed by moderator)ut from other portions. If this all feels like senseless revisionism; it’s probably a sign that you are a part of the dominant social group in your society.

We are and have been in the lumbering process of having this discussion that didn’t happen years ago. Just because the volcano is exploding now doesn’t mean there haven’t been tremors for years.
How do we know what (name removed by moderator)ut was or was not received regarding those monuments many decades ago? I don’t think we do.

I agree that this discussion might have happened years ago. Of course, the discussion is about more than monuments. But I maintain that the broader discussion has happened in the south, and more than once, while in the north it never has in a realistic way because race relations in the north are never fully acknowledged for what they are.
 
How do we know what (name removed by moderator)ut was or was not received regarding those monuments many decades ago? I don’t think we do.
How many monuments to non-white people do you see vs white? It’s certainly highly disproportionate, which is a good indicator how dominant the white population has been in writing our history.
I agree that this discussion might have happened years ago. Of course, the discussion is about more than monuments. But I maintain that the broader discussion has happened in the south, and more than once, while in the north it never has in a realistic way because race relations in the north are never fully acknowledged for what they are.
Racial issues have been less visible in the North, which has made them easier to avoid. It was much easier for the Civil Rights movement to make an example of obvious bigotry in the South. They had a much harder time, which really persists nationally up to today, with motivating people to change systematic inequality.
 
How many monuments to non-white people do you see vs white? It’s certainly highly disproportionate, which is a good indicator how dominant the white population has been in writing our history.

Racial issues have been less visible in the North, which has made them easier to avoid. It was much easier for the Civil Rights movement to make an example of obvious bigotry in the South. They had a much harder time, which really persists nationally up to today, with motivating people to change systematic inequality.
As to the first part, there is a Confederate monument near to where I sit, and a monument to George Washington Carver perhaps an hour to the west of here. Field trips to the latter are de rigeur for grade school kids. If there are any others of the Civil War era nearby, I can’t call them to mind.

Right now, I would say racial violence in the north points to significantly worse interracial relations than is the case in the south. That’s not to say race isn’t a problem nationally. It sure is. And personally, I think it’s likely to get worse before it gets better. One thing that I genuinely believe will be very serious one of these days is conflict between blacks and some Hispanics, particularly Mexicans. The overt nature of the mutual hostility is sometimes breathtaking.
 
Right now, I would say racial violence in the north points to significantly worse interracial relations than is the case in the south./QUOTE]

As one who lives near some of these big northern cities, the violence that is being seen is mostly same race on same race and isolated to a few parts of the cities. It a function of poverty and communities ripped apart by some the unintended consequences of our get tough on crime and drug programs. But that is a whole other topic for a different thread.
Ridgerunner;13110775:
I think it’s likely to get worse before it gets better. One thing that I genuinely believe will be very serious one of these days is conflict between blacks and some Hispanics, particularly Mexicans. The overt nature of the mutual hostility is sometimes breathtaking.
I’m not so sure about that personally unless you mean violence that happens to occur interracially in the forsaken parts of our cities.

I don’t condone this violence at all, but one must also remember that many people in these areas fell like they’ve been thrown away and that their life is cheap. Combine that with a legal system geared to suck them in quickly and you’ll begin to understand the problem as much as an outsider can.
 
It’s more like a culture of irresponsibility, blame, and dependence.
 
According to the last census, Marion County. pop 8742 is only 58 pct White.
 
Moving the dead, unless the person is of a particularly bad reputation, might be going too far.
Forrest is a person of particularly bad reputation. Reprehensible. But I am still not sure that moving his remains is the right thing to do. I would support taking down his statue, however.
 
Anyone else notice this was not reported by any major media outlet? LOL

If it isnt ‘popular’, it isnt news anymore. LOL
 
Anyone else notice this was not reported by any major media outlet? LOL

If it isnt ‘popular’, it isnt news anymore. LOL
The news is a bit skewed but there are enough different sources out there. Some people will knock a news source but the main thing is, is the story being reported truly or not.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top