E
ericka1701
Guest
I ran across this searching for information for my parents (who are Presbyterian. The context the author uses seems that he’s using this verse against the Apostolic succession, but this is the one I always use when trying to explain about confession to a non-Catholic. I guess it could be used both ways.
Appeal may be made to Matthew 16:19 (and 18:18), which read this way: “Whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven” (and vice versa). There! The church officers make a binding decision on earth, and heaven will ratify it. But the passage actually says exactly the opposite. The second verbs in each case (“shall be bound” / “loosed”), are future perfect tenses, properly translated: “shall have been bound / loosed”. So that the correct reading is: “Whatever you bind / loose on earth shall have been bound / loosed in heaven”. That is, officers of the church on earth must base their decisions on what heaven has already determined. And what would that be? That would be what “Heaven,” that is, God, has revealed by the Spirit in His Word, the Scriptures.
opc.org/qa.html?question_id=79 is this link. Translation from the original language is emphasised quite strongly. I looked the passage up a Greek interlinear Bible, and the tense is right.
I would really appreciate any help with this.
God Bless you!
Ericka
Appeal may be made to Matthew 16:19 (and 18:18), which read this way: “Whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven” (and vice versa). There! The church officers make a binding decision on earth, and heaven will ratify it. But the passage actually says exactly the opposite. The second verbs in each case (“shall be bound” / “loosed”), are future perfect tenses, properly translated: “shall have been bound / loosed”. So that the correct reading is: “Whatever you bind / loose on earth shall have been bound / loosed in heaven”. That is, officers of the church on earth must base their decisions on what heaven has already determined. And what would that be? That would be what “Heaven,” that is, God, has revealed by the Spirit in His Word, the Scriptures.
opc.org/qa.html?question_id=79 is this link. Translation from the original language is emphasised quite strongly. I looked the passage up a Greek interlinear Bible, and the tense is right.
I would really appreciate any help with this.
God Bless you!
Ericka