Confession?

  • Thread starter Thread starter 2HunnyBuns
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m so glad you went and things went well. As you’ve noticed, you’re not alone in this. This was a good thread to start.
 
Most priests, whatever their age, are ‘cool’, as you put it. Remember they go to confession themselves, and probably commit sins that are every bit as difficult to confess as anyone else’s, so they know what it’s like.
 
I don’t know that I will ever be “not nervous” before confession. My heart pounds on the way there. My palms are sweaty. I wonder why I am “putting myself through” this.

But I know why - it’s the grace and the mercy and the humility and the peace.

And it isn’t just the big, obvious sins that cause this. Sometimes it’s the stupid things that are most embarrassing. And usually the worst part is getting there; once I open the door and start, it’s not so bad.

I’m glad you made it tonight! Enjoy!

(another) Karen
 
I go to Confession monthly to lose the fear. Yet, I still am nervous prior to. Just say a prayer that the Lord may humble you. Realize that true freedom is in the Sacraments.
 
Most priests, whatever their age, are ‘cool’, as you put it. Remember they go to confession themselves, and probably commit sins that are every bit as difficult to confess as anyone else’s, so they know what it’s like.
I encountered one that made me feel really awful for going to confession. I’d rate it as a disaster. I felt worse coming out than I did going in. I essentially got lectured for about 15 minutes on Michael Phelps and everything he had done wrong (there was a lot about him in the news around that time) and I left feeling like I had to be the worst mother ever to walk the face of the earth. And, nothing I confessed was even related to what he went on about.
 
I encountered one that made me feel really awful for going to confession. I’d rate it as a disaster. I felt worse coming out than I did going in. I essentially got lectured for about 15 minutes on Michael Phelps and everything he had done wrong (there was a lot about him in the news around that time) and I left feeling like I had to be the worst mother ever to walk the face of the earth. And, nothing I confessed was even related to what he went on about.
I used to go to priests I didn’t know, and though most are great, I’ve had the very rare time, too, where I walked out regretting I’d ever gone. But then I read somewhere (probably here) of the advantages of finding a priest I really trust and going to him.

That was great advice. I knew immediately who that priest would be. I wasn’t sure I wanted him to know certain things about me, but I knew that somehow he was the priest who could help me most to be more of who God would want me to be.

I don’t get any less nervous with time, but I know that as long as I go to this priest, I will never have one of those experiences like yours.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top