Confirmation for protestants

• Thread starter Thread starter Nicky777
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
N

Nicky777

Does a protestant receive the Holy Spirit upon their baptism? We as Catholics receive the Holy spirit when we are confirmed.

Last edited:
Does a protestant receive the Holy Spirit upon their baptism? We as Catholics receive the Holy spirit when we are confirmed.
Depends on the Protestants in question.

Lutherans and Anglicans, for example, would generally agree with the Catholic view of Baptism. Some Anglicans would agree with the Catholic view on Confirmation. Baptists would reject the efficacy of either, viewing them as purely symbolic of an already-made interior change.

You realize that half the protestants also have infant baptism?

(Lutherans, reformed, anglicans, Presbyterians… etc)

I was confirmed in the Presbyterian church at 13 & baptized as an infant.

Def depends on the Protestant.

So I guess my question is, do they receive the Holy Spirit when Baptised?

Last edited:
So I guess my question is, do they receive the Holy Spirit when Baptised?
Yes, as do Catholics. We all receive the Holy Spirit at Baptism, provided the Baptism is properly performed, as it is in most Protestant denominations.

Some Protestants don’t believe that they do so, and yet they still do.

I’m confused. Do Catholics not believe they receive the Holy Spirit at Baptism?
Anyway, yes, baptismal regeneration is receiving the Holy Spirit.
I am also of the belief receiving Him through confirmation also. The words of my confirmation as a youth:
“God The Father in heaven, for Jesus’ sake, renew and increase in thee
the gift of The Holy Ghost
, to thy strengthening in Faith, to thy growth in grace, to thy patience in suffering, and to the blessed hope of everlasting life.”

Well… it’s a little more complicated that this.

Something tells me that others can do a far better job of explaining this than I can. However, I’m going to take a shot.

We Catholics do believe that we do receive the Holy Spirit upon baptism. It’s not like the Holy Spirit is missing until you are confirmed. The Spirit of God does come at baptism.

However, Confirmation is when we are “sealed with the Holy Spirit.” In a way you a can argue that it’s the fulfillment of Baptism, it’s when you receive the fulfillment since both sacraments are really supposed to complement one another and be performed at the same time.

So, to answer your questions, yes protestants receive the Holy Spirit upon their baptism the same why Catholic babies receive the Holy Spirit upon theirs. And then Confirmation strengthens us with the Holy Spirit and seals us with His power.

I hope this helps and if anyone can offer anyway for me to making my argument more theologically correct - I welcome it.

God bless

Depends on the Protestant and what you mean by receiving the Holy Spirit. Most yes at Baptism, some not fully until Confirmation like Catholics.

Last edited:
Well in the Roman Catholic view at any rate

Last edited:
What about Acts chapter 8: 14-17? How do you read that passage?

Last edited:
What about Acts chapter 8: 14-17? How do you read that passage?
Invalid Baptism?

“they had simply been baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus”

A valid Baptism is performed in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit, not simply in the name of Jesus.

The point of this thread was to learn about the Protestant view on this. We all know the Catholic view on Protestant Confirmation. Don’t derail the thread.

Last edited:
Hear the words of the Evangelist Saint Luke, in the eighth Chapter of the Acts of the Apostles.

WHEN the apostles which were at Jerusalem heard that Samaria had received the word of God, they sent unto them Peter and John: who, when they were come down, prayed for them, that they might receive the Holy Ghost: for as yet he was fallen upon none of them: only they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus. Then laid they their hands on them, and they received the Holy Ghost.

ALMIGHTY and everliving God, who hast vouchsafed to regenerate these thy servants by Water and the Holy Ghost, and hast given unto them forgiveness of all their sins; Strengthen them, we beseech thee, O Lord, with the Holy Ghost, the Comforter, and daily increase in them thy manifold gifts of grace: the spirit of wisdom and under-standing, the spirit of counsel and ghostly strength, the spirit of knowledge and true godliness; and fill them, O Lord, with the spirit of thy holy fear, now and for ever. Amen .

Please keep in mind you are in the Non-Catholic Religions section 🤔

And that Protestants do not believe as you do in that whole “one true church” line.

Last edited:
Interesting. When then would a Protestant receive the Holy Spirit? Does one have to have the Holy Spirit to be a Christian?

Oops sorry… Last one. So when protestants are baptized they receive the washing away of original sin and receive the Holy spirit like we as Catholics do in confirmation? If that’s true, then why 2 different sacraments?

Last edited:
Oops sorry… Last one. So when protestants are baptized they receive the washing away of original sin and receive the Holy spirit like we as Catholics do in confirmation? If that’s true, then why 2 different sacraments?
I’m not sure I understand the question. Are you asking in general why there are two sacraments, or are you asking why Protestants specifically practice both Baptism and Confirmation?

Coincidentally, my partner is being confirmed this weekend in the Episcopal Church, while I’m being received into it, since I already received confirmation as a Catholic.

Our friend, also in the same confirmation class as us, is getting confirmed even though he was confirmed as a Presbyterian as a kid.

Episcopalianism (I guess depending how “high” the church is) recognizes and requires apostolic succession, when necessary, when providing the sacraments.

Oddly enough, confirmation is considered a “sacramental rite” as opposed to a full blown sacrament, since it wasn’t handed down directly and literally from Jesus, like baptism and Eucharist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back