Confirmation for protestants

• Thread starter Thread starter Nicky777
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Heh, I split the difference. Chrism was used, hands were laid, no rings were kissed for those that were confirmed when I was Received into TEC.

Thank you. I had a feeling that it was marriage and baptism, sacrementally speaking.

Last edited:
Very good. Thank you. If a protestant or even a Catholic who doesn’t follow the Magiserium of The Church can they still be saved? For example ; a Catholic who doesn’t receive the Sacraments as prescribed by the Church, or the protestant who refuses not only the belief in Sacraments but the teachings of The Church as the church fathers and the apostles instituted over the years. But remained in their abstinence.

Last edited:
Catholocism, Protestantism, Magiserium, nor Sacraments can save a human soul. Again, scripture tells all mortals what they must do to be saved. Acts 16: 30-31 “And brought them out, and said, Sirs, what must I do to be saved? 31 And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house.”

Why is it you seek anything other than this?

What about Acts chapter 8: 14-17? How do you read that passage?
Pentecostals believe we receive the Holy Spirit at conversion, when we receive the gift of faith by the preaching of the gospel and the ministry of the Spirit. We do not have a confirmation rite, but we do believe there is a second reception of the Spirit after conversion, which we call baptism with the Holy Spirit. That is how we would read this passage. They had been baptized in water and placed their faith in Christ, but they had not experienced the outpouring of the Spirit promised to the church on the day of Pentecost, which was remedied when the Apostles laid hands on them and prayed for the Spirit to fall on them.

Last edited:
Here’s my view as a Southern Baptist turned Catholic.

The Bible

You might already know this, but the Early Church bishops created the biblical canon. That is to say, bishops met in councils to select the books that should go into the Bible.

If you reject the “Catholic” Bible because there are extra books, you should know that these books came from the Jewish tradition. Jewish Bibles don’t accept these books as scripture, because they are Greek translations of the original Hebrew (which is now lost). I suppose some Protestants reject these books, known as the Deuterocanon, for the same reason. But I doubt it.

Every time you read your Bible, remember that Early Church bishops in council (not Protestants) approved the Scriptures you regard as the absolute truth. There is no Bible without the Early Church.

Last edited:
Define Believe. Because according to Scripture salvation requires more than just Faith. Faith and works. It’s in the book of James.

Last edited:
@ReadTheBible: Salvation and works go together.
Our Lord says as much in Matthew 25:31-46.

31 “When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and
all the angels with him, he will sit upon his glorious
throne,

32 and all the nations will be assembled before him.
And he will separate them one from another, as
a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats.

33 He will place the sheep on his right and
the goats on his left.

34 Then the king will say to those on his right,
‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father. Inherit
the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation
of the world.

35 For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was
thirsty and you gave me drink, a stranger and you
welcomed me,

36 naked and you clothed me, ill and you cared for
me, in prison and you visited me.’

37 Then the righteous will answer him and say, ‘Lord,
when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty
and give you drink?

38 When did we see you a stranger and welcome you,
or naked and clothe you?

39 When did we see you ill or in prison, and visit you?’

40 And the king will say to them in reply, ‘Amen, I say
to you, whatever you did for one of these least brothers
of mine, you did for me.’

41 Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me,
you accursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil
and his angels.

42 For I was hungry and you gave me no food, I was thirsty
and you gave me no drink,

43 a stranger and you gave me no welcome, naked and you
gave me no clothing, ill and in prison, and you did not care
for me.’

44 Then they will answer and say, ‘Lord, when did we see
you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or ill or in prison,
and not minister to your needs?’

45 He will answer them, ‘Amen, I say to you, what you did
not do for one of these least ones, you did not do for me.’

46 And these will go off to eternal punishment, but
the righteous to eternal life.”

Last edited:
“And thy house.”

Did you read that part? What does that man to you?

Also there are times in the gospels when Jesus is asked this question. I would like you to tell us if we need to sell all that we have, take up our cross, and follow Jesus to be saved. What about in the same book of Acts when whole households were baptized, including infants. With all due respect the Church is was and will be Catholic the same Church that set the Canon of scripture that you believe in and obey to be saved there is nothing in there that isn’t Catholic or else it would not be in the canon of scripture. Timothy tells us in his letter that the church is the pillar and foundation of truth.

Last edited:
I think we’re all in agreement here. Christs bride is justified by her fruits. God bless you all and I hope to see you in God’s Glorious Kingdom. Where we can all enjoy the Beatific Vision.

We as Catholics receive the Holy spirit when we are confirmed.
You are mistaken. We Catholics are baptised in the name of the Father, and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit.
We receive the Holy Spirit at baptism.

Then why do we receive Him again in Confirmation?

Last edited:
Who can understand the mind of a protestant, there is a bible, so read it, and then, surely now they will understand truth, and have the unanimous answer to all these complicated questions, but the answer is always “In my opinion …”.

Thus the need for authority… The Magisterium. We pray for their complete conversion.

But ther ia only one truth just as there is only one God. Thus the need for Authority. Peter was that authority given to him by Gos Himself and that authority has succeeded him through out the ages, i.e. the Catholic Pope’s.

Who can understand the mind of a protestant, there is a bible, so read it, and then, surely now they will understand truth, and have the unanimous answer to all these complicated questions, but the answer is always “In my opinion …”.
Your post is absolutely timely. It follows two Catholics who have the same Magesterium yet have two opinions. Maybe understanding the mind of a protestant s no more difficult than understanding the mind of a Catholic.

We Catholics pray daily that our protestant brothers and sisters come back to one fold. Christs obe true Church. For He founded only one church. "You are Peter and upon this rock I will build my Church. Not churches. Christ established unity in His church not discord. Read the Church fathers. Remember the Church was one for the first 1500 years. Did Christ make a mistake? I’m sure he did not. All the teachings of the Catholic church are divinely inspired and infallible. The holy scriptures were which also were divinely inspired and compiled by the Catholic Church.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back