Confirmation for protestants

• Thread starter Thread starter Nicky777
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
If you read 1 Corinthians 14, there are several indications that these are not necessarily normal languages or at least used for purposes of human communication. See verses 2 and 14-15.

Last edited:
@7_Sorrows: I’m an RCIA Catholic too.

I balked at going through Confirmation. I felt that the Profession of Faith in the Baptist church sufficed.

The RCIA leader – lovely, gentle woman and a great model for Christian living – told me I needed to profess my faith as a Catholic Christian. She had to rein me in two or three times. But she was always gentle.

Last edited:
I don’t know why you would be offended by anything I posted. I’m no better than any other mortal. We all sin and fall short of the glory of God. I have only quoted scripture and we all agree God’s Word is the truth right? If you are offended by God’s Word that’s between you and God. I’m not being condescending, I’m just talking plainly.

At the risk of provoking your anger again, I’d like to point out that the Bible recounts specific roles for presbyters, deacons, and bishops. Here, I will deal two examples of priestly roles.

God – not men – established the priesthood with the ordination of Aaron and his sons. The Catholic Church could not have “invented” this role.

Here’s one example of the priestly role from the Torah.
Leviticus 1:5 The bull shall then be slaughtered before the Lord, and Aaron’s sons, the priests, shall offer its blood by splashing it on all the sides of the altar which is at the entrance of the tent of meeting. (Emphasis mine.)
Let’s look to James 5:14-15. Here, the presbyter is to administer the sacrament of the sick.
14 Is anyone among you sick? He should summon the presbyters of the church, and they should pray over him and anoint [him] with oil in the name of the Lord, 15 and the prayer of faith will save the sick person, and the Lord will raise him up. If he has committed any sins, he will be forgiven.
You don’t need accept my views. But please don’t overreact to my posts. I know the view of sola scriptura Christian because I was one. When I post a section of Sacred Scripture, I’m inviting polite discussion.

CAF forums, at their best, are a place where people can share their knowledge civilly. Christians should love one another.

Last edited:
I don’t know why you would be offended by anything I posted.
With all due respect, apparently I’m not the only one…
The moderators might ban me for 3 months for saying these things even though I’m only quoting scripture. They have done so in the past.
Look - I love a good rib eye steak. However, if you serve it to me on a garbage can lid, it just takes away from the steak. All I’m saying is, maybe deliver your message with a little more kindness and humility. After all - love is patient, love is kind, love doesn’t insist on its own way…

haha I get your point but when typing words on a forum it’s hard to express humility with each sentence

I was specifically banned for 3 months for posting scripture that was said to be “anti-catholic” by a mod. I literally posted scripture from the Bible only. It’s not like I made up my own version of scripture either 🙂

With all due respect I’m not overreacting to anything and I couldn’t be further from anger. I don’t think you’re going from point A to point B though. It seems like you’re skipping to C without B so to speak.

You said “God – not men – established the priesthood with the ordination of Aaron and his sons. The Catholic Church could not have “invented” this role.”

I’m guessing that’s in response to my comment about laity vs priests?? You then give an example from the Old Testament and New. Regarding the Old Testament passage I would remind you we are all considered priests as I’ve pointed out in an earlier comment. I see nothing inherently wrong with what James says either. That’s not an example of laity vs priest that I’m referring to.

I’ll give you more details if you would like in what I see as conflicts between the Roman Catholic dogma of priests vs laity vs what scripture says but again, I think we’re derailing this thread into something else.

God bless you too as my posts are being hidden for abuse now. Quoting God’s word I guess is abusive to some (not saying to you specifically).

10 Blessed are they which are persecuted for righteousness’ sake: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

11 Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake.

12 Rejoice, and be exceeding glad: for great is your reward in heaven: for so persecuted they the prophets which were before you.

From this one passage we know that neither works, nor baptism, is a necessity in order to reach Heaven. If works or baptism was a necessity to receive God’s grace, Christ would not have guaranteed the thief he would enter Heaven.
You are wrong. The criminal on the cross had what was probably the first baptism of desire, so in essence he received the fruits of baptism without actually being sacramentally baptised.
Baptism IS necessary for salvation.

According to the Southern Baptist Church, the Holy Spirit fills after he or she prays to receive Jesus as Savior. There is no set prayer. But this prayer is an example of what needs to be said.
Dear God:

I know I have sinned and that my sin separates me from You. I am sorry for my sin. I believe Jesus died on the cross for me so my sin can be forgiven. I believe Jesus rose from the dead and is alive.

God, please forgive me. I ask Jesus to come into my life and be my Lord and Savior. I will obey you, follow you, and honor you.

Amen

Last edited:
Faith without works is like a body without breath. Dead! All through scripture it speaks about bearing fruit. You cannot have one without the other. We gentiles have been grafted on to the vine. If when we are pruned we do not produce fruits we are cut off and thrown into the fire. How can you not see this. Good works is preached throughout the bible Luke 8 : 3 produce good fruits as a proof of you repentance. Sola fide is a false teaching and I pray that all of my protestant brothers and sisters come back home to the Church. For if you make to Heaven you will be, we all will be Catholic. God love you.

Last edited:
Faith without works is like a body without breath. Dead! All through scripture it speaks about bearing fruit. You cannot have one without the other. We gentiles have been grafted on to the vine. If when we are pruned we do not produce fruits we are cut off and thrown into the fire. How can you not see this. Good works is preached throughout the bible Luke 8 : 3 produce good fruits as a proof of you repentance. Sola fide is a false teaching and I pray that all of my protestant brothers and sisters come back home to the Church. For if you make to Heaven you will be, we all will be Catholic. God love you.
Are you under the (mistaken) impression that sola fide denies that faith without works is dead?

Works were not necessary for the Thief on the cross – does not mean they aren’t necessary for you and I my friend. The world is not black and white.

The Thief on the cross had what we call perfect contrition right before his death. You and I accepted Christ as Lord years ago and therefore have had time to actually demonstrate our faith.

According to the Southern Baptist Church, the Holy Spirit fills after he or she prays to receive Jesus as Savior.
It’s more accurate to say that Southern Baptists believe you receive the Holy Spirit when you repent of sin and trust in Christ, aka “believe” or "are saved"or “converted”. The Sinner’s Prayer is a means by which SBC and other churches attempt to structure such a profession of conversion or belief, but it is not itself what causes someone to be saved, regenerated or baptized with the Spirit.

The Southern Baptist Convention itself has subtly admitted that the Sinner’s Prayer is often abused in Baptist churches, as in this statement issued in 2012:
WHEREAS, The Scriptures also give numerous examples of persons who verbally affirmed Gospel truths but who did not personally know Jesus in a saving relationship (Luke 22:47–48; John 2:23–25; 1 Corinthians 10:1–5); and

WHEREAS, Empty religion and formalism, of whatever kind, apart from personal relationship with Christ, cannot wash away sin or transform a heart (Matthew 7:21; 15:8; John 3:3); and

WHEREAS, The Bible speaks of salvation as including both a confession with the mouth that Jesus is Lord and a belief in the heart that God has raised Him from the dead (Matthew 16:16; Romans 10:9–10); now, therefore, be it

RESOLVED, That the messengers to the Southern Baptist Convention meeting in New Orleans, Louisiana, June 19–20, 2012, reaffirm our Gospel conviction that repentance from sin and personal faith in the Lord Jesus Christ are necessary for salvation (Acts 20:20–21); and be it further

RESOLVED, That we affirm that repentance and faith involve a crying out for mercy and a calling on the Lord (Romans 10:13), often identified as a “sinner’s prayer,” as a biblical expression of repentance and faith; and be it further

RESOLVED, That a “sinner’s prayer” is not an incantation that results in salvation merely by its recitation and should never be manipulatively employed or utilized apart from a clear articulation of the Gospel (Matthew 6:7; 15:7–9); and be it further

RESOLVED, That we promote any and all biblical means of urging sinners to call on the name of the Lord in a prayer of repentance and faith; and be it finally

RESOLVED, That we call on Southern Baptists everywhere to continue to carry out the Great Commission in North America and around the world, so that sinners everywhere, of every tribe, tongue, and language, may cry out, “God be merciful to me a sinner” (Luke 18:13).

Last edited:
Thanks for elaborating and correcting my earlier post. God bless you. 🙏

Nicky777 . . .
Does a protestant receive the Holy Spirit upon their baptism? We as Catholics receive the Holy spirit when we are confirmed.
Catholics received the Holy Spirit at Baptism.

And you are right. We receive the Holy Spirit in Confirmation too.

Non-Catholics with valid form, matter, intent, and minister of the Sacrament are validly baptized. (They receive the Holy Spirit in these cases at Baptism too.)

Valid “minister of the Sacrament”?

For example an adult may be validly baptized by anyone except him/herself.

In the case of Baptism, anyone can be the valid minister of THIS Sacrament. (Again. Other than yourself.)

If the Baptism is properly done, it is valid. (i.e. Jehovah’s Witnesses for example do not have valid baptisms.)

Bible-only Christians do NOT receive the graces that Catholics or Eastern Orthodox people obtain via the Sacrament of Confirmation. (They have no “Sacrament” of Confirmation, although some have “confirmation ceremonies”. They have no valid “Minister of the Sacrament” here.)

Hope this helps.

God bless.

Cathoholic

Last edited:
Thank you for the clarification. So do they receive the Sacrament of matrimony as well. Is it valid?

Last edited:
Generally, yes, marriages in Protestant churches between baptized individuals who are not for whatever reason proscribed from being married outside the Catholic Church are generally considered valid. This is because the minister of the sacrament is not the officiant but the couple themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back