• Thread starter Thread starter Nicky777
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
40.png
Nicky777:
Can a Catholic marry a protestant?
It happens rather frequently.
In one way it surprises me that it is allowed. The two become one flesh…one a believer, the other maybe sort of not. To me it actually weakens the Catholic position of “only one Truth.”

Last edited:
I agree… But my prayers and evangelization will help me bring her into the fold. And the truth will set her free. I understand that salvation isn’t possible unless one dies in a state of Sanctifying Grace. Since protestants don’t believe in the Sacrament of reconciliation, she cannot receive that Grace. It is imperative then for her to convert before any vows are taken.

Last edited:
If that’s for JonNC, I’ll pretend to be him. He can rate my effort, if he sees it.

RCs refer to a lot of folk as protestants, including some who decline the title. But that’s not the main point. Some RCs often seem to think that the term “protestant” refers to some sort of unity/uniformity, which one can get ones arms around, with simple statements: “They do this. They believe that. They deny something else”. The world is more complicated than that. Folks referred to as “protestants” by the RCC include folk who certainly affirm/practice the concept/sacrament of confession/reconciliation, as in the RCC. As one simple example of this fallacy.

Ok, JonNC, take over.

Also, it’s not the RC Church’s teaching that Protestants cannot be saved.

40.png
HopkinsReb:
Also, it’s not the RC Church’s teaching that Protestants cannot be saved.
Since we just made a distinction about Protestants, I wonder if you don’t mean non-Catholics?
It would be valid to say non-Catholics as well, but considering the amount of discussion of validity of sacraments in this thread, the Orthodox don’t really fit into the discussion since the Catholic Church recognizes all seven of their sacraments.

If that’s for JonNC, I’ll pretend to be him. He can rate my effort, if he sees it.

RCs refer to a lot of folk as protestants, including some who decline the title. But that’s not the main point. Some RCs often seem to think that the term “protestant” refers to some sort of unity/uniformity, which one can get ones arms around, with simple statements: “They do this. They believe that. They deny something else”. The world is more complicated than that. Folks referred to as “protestants” by the RCC include folk who certainly affirm/practice the concept/sacrament of confession/reconciliation, as in the RCC. As one simple example of this fallacy.

Ok, JonNC, take over.
No need. You covered it well.

In short, when speaking of practice and doctrine, the use of the term “Protestant” is folly.

Nicky777 . . .
Thank you for the clarification.
You’re welcome.
So do they receive the Sacrament of matrimony as well. Is it valid?
Maybe. Sometimes yes, sometimes no.

In the Sacrament of Matrimony, the prospective husband and wife are the ministers of the Sacrament.

A priest (in the Catholic sphere at least) acts as the proverbial referree.

So the question then becomes did the couple have valid, form, matter, and intent.

If this is two baptised Christians, and they fulfill other Sacramental requirements, yes. They too have a valid Sacramental marriage that is indissoluble in this world.

If not, they merely have a civil non-Sacramental union, civilly called a marriage.

No true, RCs refer to all self Proclaim Christians as Protestants because they protest the Catholic Church anyone who is not aligned with the church and its teachings is by definition a Protestant protesting the church that Christ himself has founded. Unless of course you’re a Mormon or Jehovah’s Witness then then you’re just a heretic sorry to offend

Last edited:
Historically, the etymology of the term protestant is somewhat different.

And the definition, regardless of the actual history, depends on whom you ask.

You couldn’t offend me if you tried. Even real, real hard. Even if you or other RCs refer to me as a protestant. Nope. Can’t do it.

Last edited:
No true, RCs refer to all self Proclaim Christians as Protestants because they protest the Catholic Church anyone who is not aligned with the church and its teachings is by definition a Protestant protesting the church that Christ himself has founded.
Let me know when a “Protestant “ is outside your parish holding a banner or sign.
To expand on GK’s comment, the term Protestant comes from a protest against civil authorities, not the Church.
Similarly, I am not offended.

Is this an honest question…???

This “protestant” has been married to a Catholic for over 15 years, we have 3 kids…and guess what, we were married in the Catholic Church…and guess what, it is a Sacrament.

ReadTheBible. . . .
Works are the result of your faith.
What if they are not?

Or what if you have faith without charity or love? Then what?

Can you be “saved” anyway?

How many good works did the thief on the cross perform?
Admonishing the sinner and humbling himself. (Jesus says he who humbles himself will be exalted).

(The thief on the cross) was dying a doomed man and would have went to hell forever but his faith alone allowed God’s grace to be bestowed upon him.
How do you know?
  • He exhibited hope too.
  • He exhibited love too.
  • He exhibited repentance too.
What makes you think his “faith alone” was salvific? The Bible doesn’t say that.

From this one passage we know that neither works, nor baptism, is a necessity in order to reach Heaven.
How do you know that?

You have no idea if this thief was baptized (see John 4:1-2) or not. What if he was already baptized long ago?

Or what if he was gifted with a “Baptism of desire”?

So, where do works come in?
Preaching for one.

How can you have faith without the “work” of preaching?

If you want, let’s begin a thread on justification.
Or on the Good Thief.
We can discuss that (those) issue(s) and see where we can go with it ReadTheBible.

Last edited:
Preaching for one.

How can you have faith without the “work” of preaching?
I know this isn’t directed at me, but a thought occurred to me reading your reply to ReadTheBible. Preaching the gospel (or simply telling people about Jesus in our daily lives) is certainly crucial to evangelization and conversion. It is most certainly a good work. Romans 10:17 does say, “So faith comes from hearing, and hearing through the word of Christ.”

However, the hearers here are the people who listen. It is they who receive the gift of faith as they receive the message and believe. Yes, through the obedience and good work of the preacher his listeners receive faith in Christ as they hear the gospel message, but the preacher does not preach to save himself. He does not spread the gospel in order to merit eternal life. Rather, out of love and gratitude for having his own sins forgiven, he preaches so that others might hear and be saved.

If we were to imagine a non-Christian for whatever reason getting into the pulpit and preaching the most amazing message and leading several people to faith in Christ, all of that work would profit him nothing because he does not have personal faith in Christ. “And without faith it is impossible to please him, for whoever would draw near to God must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who seek him” (Hebrews 11:6-7).
If you want, let’s begin a thread on justification.
That would probably be interesting.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back