Confirmation Saints

  • Thread starter Thread starter graceandglory
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

graceandglory

Guest
What are the rules for choosing a Saint Name?

Can someone choose David from the Old Testament?
 
To my knowledge, there are not a lot of rules for choosing your confirmation saint. I was told you can even pick one of the opposite gender if you wish. The saint HAS to be canonized though. Hope this helps somewhat! 🙂
 
I’m pretty certain you can. Funny, cause I’m going through RCIA right now, and I’m picking David as my patron saint as well =P
 
I’m going through RCIA as well and I chose Michael. Congrats!👍
 
I’m pretty certain you can. Funny, cause I’m going through RCIA right now, and I’m picking David as my patron saint as well =P
BUT… CAN You???

Is he a canonized Saint?
**
Must Confirmation Saints be Christian?**

Are you able to choose a Jewish OT Bible Hero as a Saint?

You better ask someone. I’m a catechist, and I don’t know. Granted I’m not a Confirmation Prep catechist…
 
Old testament saints are certainly acceptable confirmation names.

There was no formal canonization process until the early middle ages, so none of the early new testament saints were formally canonized. Sts. Peter and Paul, like all of the apostles and Church Fathers, were simply understood and acclaimed as saints.
 
Yes you can choose King David of the Old Testament as your patron saint. He was canonized prior to the institution of the modern investigations performed by the Congregation for the Causes of Saints, like many of the other Old Testament figures. His memorial is December 29th. The best website that I have found which list the most Saint names is http://saints.sqpn.com/king-david/.
 
BUT… CAN You???

Is he a canonized Saint?
**
Must Confirmation Saints be Christian?**

Are you able to choose a Jewish OT Bible Hero as a Saint?

You better ask someone. I’m a catechist, and I don’t know. Granted I’m not a Confirmation Prep catechist…
Prophet and King David is commemorated on the Byzantine Calendar by both Orthodox and Byzantine Catholics (as so far as I can tell, other Eastern Catholics) on the Sunday after Nativity.

He is on the Calendar of the Carmelites on 29 December.

Mother Angelica’s own earthly mother was professed as one of the Sisters, with the name David for the same OT saint. She wanted a penitent.

And there’s also St. David (aka Dewi), first Bishop of Wales.
 
Prophet and King David is commemorated on the Byzantine Calendar by both Orthodox and Byzantine Catholics (as so far as I can tell, other Eastern Catholics) on the Sunday after Nativity.

He is on the Calendar of the Carmelites on 29 December.

Mother Angelica’s own earthly mother was professed as one of the Sisters, with the name David for the same OT saint. She wanted a penitent.

And there’s also St. David (aka Dewi), first Bishop of Wales.
THANK YOU!!! This is wonderful information! Thanks for taking your time to post! God bless you!
 
I’m a lady and I chose “Andrew” - the first apostle. I figured I could use his courage!
 
I’m also female, and one of the RCIA leaders asked me after Mass today if I realized that they would use “Joseph” as my confirmation name, and if that was a problem. Apparently someone has picked a saint of the opposite gender last year, and then had a fit when they realized the name would actually be used in the rites. :rolleyes:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top