S
SarahR
Guest
Amen to that, sister! 
I agree with ElizabethâŚThis is an old thread, and somebody revived it, and now everybodyâs giving advice to somebody who might not want it anymoreâŚThis thread was from Jan 07âŚ
Maybe if someone has a new experience we should have a new thread for itâŚIâm sure the OP has long made her decisionâŚ
Just sayinâ![]()
Wow. You are really naive. Last I checked we have absolutely no control over what someone else chooses to do. As my marriage was crumbling, I became engaged in an emotional affair with my high school sweetheart. We did meet one time but never slept together. My spouse was aware of everything, my friend later confessed everything to his spouse. Our marriages were all but over with the exception of our guilt over our children. This time together made us rethink the divorces we already had planned PRIOR to reconnecting with one another. We realized we needed to make things work with our own spouses and that we had never really given them a chance because we were holding each otherâs hearts. We agreed to LET GO. I donât know about his, but my marriage is stronger than it ever was. I believe God used this time in my life as a catalyst for positive change. My husbandâs âother womanâ was his work and his friends. He has also recommitted to me and the preciousness of our time together and the family we created together. PeopleâŚand yes children were hurt, but a whole lot less than if it never had happened. Remember this quote whenever you feel the need to pass judgement on someoneâŚâDonât judge me based on what you know because there is so much more you donât knowâ (Anonymous).What a very sad situation. I cannot imagine having to endure the pain of my husband cheating!
To the poster who was the âother womanâ once and cited his âreasonsâ (excuses) for breaking his marriage vows and committing adultery - do you still sympathize with him? Do you think he was somehow justified in cheating on his wife with you? Iâm just curious because it kind of came across that way.
I just want to say that there is NEVER a legitimate excuse to cheat on your spouse. Ever.
Fix what is wrong that makes your eye wander - or get out.
There are some incredibly selfish people in this world arenât there? And the aftermath of that selfishness leaves a wake of incredibly hurting people. Often children.![]()
This thread was from Jan 07âŚ
Maybe if someone has a new experience we should have a new thread for itâŚIâm sure the OP has long made her decisionâŚ
Just sayinâ![]()
These two posts applied back in June of 2008 when they were posted, and they certainly still apply now. This is an old thread and the issue is probably long resolved one way or the other.I agree with ElizabethâŚThis is an old thread, and somebody revived it, and now everybodyâs giving advice to somebody who might not want it anymoreâŚ
I could relate much better if this wasnât âa friend of mineâ, etcâŚbut it was you.A friend of mine discovered her husband was having an affair. The husband has pledged his desire to do whatever is necessary to be with his wife and has said that he is done with the âother womanâ. His wife wants the 2 of them to confront her to tell her it is over and that he is staying with his wife. She wants the âother womanâ to hear it from the husband in front of the wife. She says that she needs it to start to rebuild trust for her husband.
Has anyone ever done this or heard of this?
According to the public profile, the OP, cmujake, has not been back to the forums since November of 2007, so it is possible that you wonât be doing any relatingâŚor at least not discussing.I could relate much better if this wasnât âa friend of mineâ, etcâŚbut it was you.
Thatâs an idea for the suggestion box. I think whatâs happening is that new members are just browsing through the forums and clicking on titles that look interesting, without looking at the dates on them.I wonder if CA might come up with a fix for that, maybe by archiving older threads that havenât been posted on for a year or more.
Thatâs an idea for the suggestion box. I think whatâs happening is that new members are just browsing through the forums and clicking on titles that look interesting, without looking at the dates on them.
It would be good if after a year of no posts, threads would just automatically be locked down, with maybe a code routine that runs once a week, with a line in it that says something like,âCheck date of last post. If date of last post is older than one year, do lock thread procedure.â
I just wanted to give you some applause for an inciteful, honest and tough response. I was the child watching the Other Woman destroy her family. Now, 50 years later, I can see that nothing my mother did or didnât do caused my father to cheat simply because of who and what he was - but I remember when he started cheating on the Other Woman after she became The Wife and thinking, âWell, there you go, honey bunâŚwhat you see is what you getâ.As a former âother womanâ let me tell you, if itâs over, his actions will have to prove themselves. When I was the other woman I received a phone call from teh counselors office where he and his wife were at saying that things were over between us. His wife didnât know that he had called me before AND after to let me know that it was not over, that he just had to do it to appease his wife. Speaking from experience, confrontation by the wife wonât change the situation and may make things worse for the marriage in the long run. Even though it is difficult because of the pain, she should try to find out the reasoning behind the affair and address that. If he were happy he wouldnât just up and have an affair (mine was b/c his wife wouldnât have children and criticized his Catholic faith). If they want to save their marriage, not only does he have to be willing to do whatever it takes to build trust but she also has to listen and accomodate his needs too (obviously if theyâre within reason). He had an affair b/c he was lacking some trust in her too (that she couldnât be trusted to listen to and meet his needs as a man, whatever those needs may have been). Even though thereâs a third party, their marriage (or lack thereof) is about them, not the âother womanâ or the spouseâs job or whatever can ruin a marriage.
Please donât resurrect old threads like this one! People start responding to the OP, which is 5 years old now!!! Just start a new thread if you have something to say.Hereâs my personal take on the situation. I was married for almost 17 years, 3 children. Deep down in my heart I knew he wasnât the man for me, but I was a good Catholic woman that honored my vows ALWAYS. It was what I had chosen, my responsibility, and I was never going to sin and get divorced. I pretty much lived on âauto pilotâ. I knew very well that I wasnât meeting my husbands needs, but I thought he was like me in that he made the same decisions I had. After all, we were both Catholic. So if I had to live without intimacy, closeness, emotional support, then so did he. I was so vastly wrong.
I felt him love me a little less each day, and the sad thing was, I didnât really care. Or so I thought I didnât. He tried for the first 5 years or so to prove his love to me, be close, but I wasnât receptive. Donât get me wrong, he was no saint himself. And I felt guilt when heâd come to bed, and Iâd pretend I was asleep etc⌠Bottom line, I was selfish by letting a man that deserved to be loved, go without. He deserved a woman that was truly in love with him, meeting his needs, and he herâs. If I was truly in love with him, it wouldnât have been an issue, showing him love, or taking care of him and his most basic needs. So when I found out that he had fallen in love with another woman, who ended up truly loving him, I was DEVASTATED! How could this man whom I had given almost 20 years to do such a thing! My ego was severely hurt. I felt humiliated and lost. Until I realized some months later that that was exactally how he must have felt every time he reached out to me for love, comfort and intimacy.And I had almost no guilt in doing so.
I tried to blame âherââŚand for a good 3 years, this was my mindset. She had nothing to do with my marriage. There was nothing in this world that confronting her would help. She was not the problem, he and I were the problem.
It took about 4 years, but I finally realized that I was the selfish one. And Iâll admit, he truly handled it the wrong way by seeking out the love of another woman. He should have first come to me and asked for a divorce, and while that would have been painful, it would be less painful then an affair. But I now see exactally why he did it. I had shut him off. I was selfish. This man reached out to me for 5 years! And I didnât help him. It is something that I will have to live with the rest of my life. We have since become respectful co-parents to our 3 kids, and I actually forgave him for his infidelityâŚIn fact, I am grateful to him for having the courage to demand a better life for himself, because he truly did deserve it. And so do I.
Iâm not saying that this is always why men stray, but I would ask each woman whoâs had a husband stray, what part do you play in the equation? My x husband and I divorced, and he went on to marry âthe other womanâ and they are very happy now. And having me come to terms with what âreally happenedâ in my marriage takes the focus off of the âaffairâ and back to what my responsibility was in the event. Bottom line, my x was seeking LOVEâŚnot a fling. And Iâm glad he found it. We are both forgiven.
Sorry, but this is patently bovine excrement. Perhaps you found some liberal priests to assuage your guilt by suggesting that affairs somehow materialize from the actions of both spouses. No, in fact that are 100% attributable to the cheating spouse and his/her adulterous partner.I never said that what I did was right. However, as many priests who I have discussed my sin with have told me that the affair wasnât right but also was a result of something lacking in their marriage that needed to be addressed. I am simply saying that some women and men who are married who are not receiving something that they vitally need from their spouse will look elsewhere to recieve what they need. Many women turn to someone else for the emotional support they are not receiving from their husbands and vice versa. An emotional affair is JUST AS SINFUL as a physical affair. However, because it isnât as easily defined many who are in emotional affairs are in denial justifying their relationship as âjust a friendshipâ because there isnât physical involvement. If you read through examination of conscience books/pamphlets, under the âthou shalt not commit adulteryâ there is a question of âhave I kept unnecessary company with someone other than my spouse?â âhave I kept unnecessary company with someone elseâs spouse?â The word âphysicalâ isnât in there because keeping company with someone to the detriment of a marriage doesnât always have to be in the physical sense.
I was also just stating on the reality of an affair and the lies that are told to the spouse. Thatâs why actions should speak louder. Talking to the other woman will do NOTHING to help the marriage and may hurt the marriage even more because it will help the cheating spouse justify his/her affair even more in his/her mind and keep adding to his/her selfishness.
Thank you, you read my mind. I donât believe it always takes two to tango. One spouse may have seen bad behavior modeled at home. The other spouse could be doing things perfectly and the spouse may still stray. And possibly blame the other spouse for being too perfect.I donât quite fall for the âthereâs something missing in the marriageâ excuse. Yes, sometimes that is what drives someone to cheat. But I would say most of the time, itâs due to complete selfishness. People these days donât give a rooty-pooh about the sacredness of marriage and think nothing of straying.
And I would also be willing to bet that every cheating spouse convinces the âother womanâ or âother manâ that their marriage is so horrible and their spouse doesnât do this or doesnât do that, or Iâm not fulfilled , or whatever.
Baloney. ExcusesâŚ
This was my humbling experience, and it is amazing how quickly I went from being a harsh judge to falling into sin. this was many years ago and our story has turned out positive, though some would think it to be unfair. We are sacramentally married in the Church and have three children. His ex-wife is also remarried and no children. We pray that she has peace with her new life.I believe what gmarie21 is not trying to justify her mistake, but only explain how she and her gentleman friend came to be in their situation.
It is so much easier to criticize if one has not walked in that particular pair of shoes.
Someone skimming the till, most of us would say, itâs wrong, I would never⌠have you been in those shoes, tempted to do what you know is wrong but too weak to not help yourself, every situation is unique.
Theft, adultery, etcâŚall sin.
Romans 3:23
For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God
For those of you who want to judge, tread carefully that you not fall in the future. My hats off to anyone who have been able to live in this sin filled world and not ever fallen to temptation. Just because you havenât been caught, doesnât mean it didnât happen.
I speak fom experience, I use to judge harshly⌠then I humbled in my own fall.
God Bless and thanks gmarie21 for sharing a very intimate part of your life so that we might better understand.