If what people are now calling tongues had been extant from the beginning then it would have shown up in our records of Catholic life. All the references I’ve been able to find treat of tongues as a past phenomenon or as a topic in theory, not as part of contemporary experience. Hence its modern revival is suspicious.
I see a contradiction here. On the one hand, you ask for records of contemporary experience. On the other, you condemn modern revivals of it. There are contemporary records of it!
“If you want proof that the Spirit of God, who was with your people and left you to come to us, come into our assemblies and there you will see Him cast out demons, heal the sick, and hear Him speak in tongues and prophesy.” - Justin Martyr
Just as also we hear many brethren in the church who have gifts of
prophecy, and who speak through the Spirit with all manner of tongues,
and who bring the hidden things of men into the clearness for the
common good and expound the mysteries of God.
The stereotypical signs (including drinking poison and handling snakes) make sense in context, but once they were recently reintroduced on man’s own initiative, they immediately took on the character of stunts. For example, Paul on a mission trip was approached by a snake and was bitten; he did not have the congregation at Troas bring out bags of rattlesnakes so he could wrap them around his neck.
Well, I think Pentecostals who do this are probably VERY stupid.
The general attitude of glossolalists seems to be that tongues (or rather the phenomenon commonly so-called among them) is that this is a sign from heaven for unbelievers. So it is written. But I get the impression that unbelievers see right through it. How then is it a sign for unbelievers? There’s nothing miraculous or wonderful about people jabbering away mindlessly.
No, there are varieties of tongues, as it is written. There is the form that is for prayer, see Acts 2, Acts 19, and 1 Cor 14 for examples. There is also the form that is for instruction. For this, either it is in the language of the people receiving the instruction (thus a sign for unbelievers), or an interpretation is given.
Don’t condemn what is a legitimate gift of the Holy Spirit.
Vardaquinn is going to jump all over your contention that miracles are no longer required. He will counter that miracles still happen among us, thereby missing your point. But you’re right, of course, we no longer need miracles for authentication of our mission, because the supernatural confirmation has already been settled by the miracles of the first generation, and thereafter it suffices that claimants demonstrate episcopal endorsement.
Yes, I do jump on this. I find this to be an absolutely absurd position. And I think it shows that neither of you have great experience in evangelization (and neither do I, but at least enough to say that they certainly are needed in some cases). Miracles happens all the time! I can name so many contemporary stories of miracles, from people I personally no, miracles in my own life, in my friends life, my family’s, and so on.
As in the case of St. Thomas, some people simply will not believe until they see.
And besides, miracles have never ever in the history of Judaism or Christianity been understood as proof of supernatural mission
You clearly have not read, or at least not paid attention to, the Bible. Why do you think Jesus worked miracles? Because He was a magician who liked to do cool things? Or because they were a sign of His mission?
- The fact that brain scans of people speaking in tongues suggest that the language centers of the brain are not in use is an elegant metaphor. But the emphasis on subjective experience is for me one of the most convincing arguments against its authenticity. Sure, one can say “But I know a guy who is a scientist and very smart and logical and he speaks in tongues”, but we all know the value of such examples.
If you have not experienced the presence and power of God the Holy Spirit, in whatever way, if you have never personally encountered Christ: then you are not living as a real Christian. We experience the objective reality of the Truth. It is “both/and”. It requires some subjective experience - however sensational or not.
I find your deep doubt of a legitimate gift of God the Holy Spirit, as defined by both the Catechism and the Scripture, to be very troubling. I also find it troubling that many are fiercely against this gift, which is senseless.
Don’t take it up with the charismatics. Take it up with God. He invented it. It was His idea.