D
DianaCC
Guest
No he did not, and if he did, he would have been wrong.St. Augustine retracted his position
Chrysostom is not talking about gibberish.And, as for St. John Chrysostom
No he did not, and if he did, he would have been wrong.St. Augustine retracted his position
Chrysostom is not talking about gibberish.And, as for St. John Chrysostom
The point is to judge them by their fruits. Let’s just say I can’t see the fruits for the leaves.Here’s my question: what is the motive behind advocating, so to speak, “no miracles”? What is the point of that? What can anyone stand to gain from that mentality?
Chrysostom does say that the gifts are not present as they once were, but the picture he paints isn’t a flattering one of the church of his time though. It is hard to argue that Chrysostom is saying that this is the way its supposed to be:If any one appear in the people to have a gift of healing or of knowledge or of tongues, a hand is not laid on him, for the work is manifest. But let them have honour.
What now can be more awful than these things? For in truth the Church was a heaven then, the Spirit governing all things, and moving each one of the rulers and making him inspired. But now we retain only the symbols of those gifts. For now also we speak two or three, and in turn, and when one is silent, another begins. But these are only signs and memorials of those things. Wherefore when we begin to speak, the people respond, with your Spirit , indicating that of old they thus used to speak, not of their own wisdom, but moved by the Spirit. But not so now: (I speak of my own case so far.) But the present Church is like a woman who has fallen from her former prosperous days, and in many respects retains the symbols only of that ancient prosperity; displaying indeed the repositories and caskets of her golden ornaments, but bereft of her wealth: such an one does the present Church resemble. And I say not this in respect of gifts: for it were nothing marvelous if it were this only: but in respect also of life and virtue. Thus the list of her widows, and the choir of her virgins, then gave great ornament to the churches: but now she is made desolate and void, and the tokens only remain. There are indeed widows now, there are also virgins; but they retain not that adornment which women should have who prepare themselves for such wrestlings. For the special distinction of the virgin is the caring for the things of God alone, and the waiting on Him without distraction: and the widow’s mark too should be not so much the not engaging in a second marriage, as the other things, charity to the poor, hospitality, continuing instant in prayers, all those other things, which Paul writing to Timothy requires with great exactness. One may see also the married women exhibiting among us great seemliness. But this is not the only thing required, but rather that sedulous attention to the needy, through which those women of old shone out most brightly. Not as the generality now-a-days. For then instead of gold they were clothed with the fair array of almsgiving: but now, having left off this, they are decked out on every side with cords of gold woven of the chain of their sins.
Shall I speak of another repository too emptied of its hereditary splendor? They all met together in old time and sang psalms in common. This we do also now: but then among all was there one soul and one heart: but now not in one single soul can one see that unanimity, rather great is the warfare every where.
Peace, even now, to all, he that presides in the Church prays for, entering as it were into his Father’s house: but of this peace the name is frequent, but the reality no where.
“Why, they say, are those miracles, which you affirm were wrought formerly, wrought no longer?.. For even now miracles are wrought in the name of Christ… [He then goes on to recount miracle after miracle that have happened in his diocese. He then says:] What am I to do? I am so pressed by the promise of finishing this work, that I cannot record all the miracles I know; and doubtless several of our adherents, when they read what I have narrated, will regret that I have omitted so many which they, as well as I, certainly know. Even now I beg these persons to excuse me, and to consider how long it would take me to relate all those miracles, which the necessity of finishing the work I have undertaken forces me to omit. For were I to be silent of all others, and to record exclusively the miracles of healing which were wrought in the district of Calama and of Hippo by means of this martyr-I mean the most glorious Stephen-they would fill many volumes; and yet all even of these could not be collected, but only those of which narratives have been written for public recital. For when I saw, in our own times, frequent signs of the presence of divine powers similar to those which had been given of old, I desired that narratives might be written, judging that the multitude should not remain ignorant of these things.”No he did not, and if he did, he would have been wrong.
Chrysostom is not talking about gibberish.
I’m very sorry to hear that.The point is to judge them by their fruits. Let’s just say I can’t see the fruits for the leaves.
Hi. I dealt with the historical matter before, discussing the reasons why it petered out. But ultimately, the charisms simply did not. If you read Church history, it’s chock full with manifestation of the Holy Spirit. Preaching the Gospel in unknown languages happened throughout the history of the church with various saintly missionaries - St. Vincent Ferrer, St. Francis Xavier, for example. The other form of tongues admittedly did become less common.Such manifestions had the specific purpose to spread the Gospel to the hearers of different earthly languages and of verifying the credibility of a speaker. However, it is incontrovertible that these extraordinary phenomena dwindled and finally petered out at the end of the apostolic age, their end being fully accomplished.
Well, it still occurs. I have heard a number of stories of individuals alive today who preached the Gospel in languages they have never studied. Bl. John Paul the Great says in “Rise Let Us Be on Our Way” - “It also includes the gift of tongues, that is the gift of speaking in a language understood by all the faithful. We should pray to the Holy Spirit for this gift”. (pg. 107).Since our Church is now both morally and physically universal, containing men - even clergy - of every nation, what possible need can there be of glossolalia for evangelisation?
This is a logical fallacy. I could just as easily call non-charismatics false prophets, judging them by their fruits. Know them by their fruits, indeed! I see, and so have the Popes and bishops, immense fruits in this movement. In the words of Pope Paul VI,The Charismatics have a zeal for God and the Faith, but not according to knowldege. In the Sermon on the Mount our Lord warned us to “Beware of false prophets, who come to you in sheep’s clothing but inwardly are ravenous wolves. You will know them by their fruits…” (S. Matt. 7: 15,16).
This is a bare assertion, because you have not established that their teaching are false concerning the charismata. Particularly in light of the many quotes I have provided from Church teaching on the subject, which openly uphold our teaching on the charismata.Therefore, whilst it is freely admitted that some Charismatically inclined Christians do live a “pious and world-denying life”, that of itself does not automatically validate their erroneous teachings concerning the charismata etc.
Another bare assertion (that is is incomparable). They thought they were drunk, because they were acting in a way similar to drunkenness.What occured on the Day of Pentecost cannot be compared to what occurs at modern day Charismatic gatherings. The crowds thought that they were “drunk with new wine” because they were at a genuine loss to know what was happening before their very eyes; the primary reaction was one of incomprehensibility
Some linguistic analyses conclude this of some individual Pentecostals. Others conclude that it is a genuine language among other charismatics. This is a logical fallacy. If I have a bushel of fruit, which is labeled “apples”, but the top fruit are all pears does that automatically mean that all the fruit in the bushel are not what they are labelled as, but in fact something different? Of course not.As I have said previously, linguistic analyses of the ‘tongues’ spoken in contemporary Pentecostalism reveal that they are non-human gibberish.
But suppose the speaker is not, and has never even heard the language before, as I have demonstrated with a number of examples?The fact that the occasional speaker may be heard speaking a known foreign language proves absolutely nothing, since that speaker may be fluent in that particular language
Bare assertion, and it does not prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that genuine charismata aren’t present in the Church today. They’re supposed to be! That’s what the Church teaches!. However, in most instances of modern day tongues it is unintelligible speach that is being spoken and not authentic dialects and this proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that the genuine charismata are not present in the contemporary Church, as much as some men may wish that that they were.
Certainly among those who are faking it, anyway. That doesn’t prove anything conclusively, merely that some people are faking it.You know, Portrait, I see a pattern to the apologists’ responses. When the phenomenon first arises among them, they label it a miraculous manifestation of human languages. When upon investigation it is demonstrated that they are not known human languages, they retreat to labeling it a miraculous manifestation of nonhuman languages. Then when it is demonstrated that, neurologically speaking, it is not language, they retreat to labeling it a miraculous bypassing of the usual natural channels. Each step of the retreat process is a step towards agnosticism, whereas the journey began with a confident assertion of what appeared to be knowledge.