Confusion on forgetting mortal sin

  • Thread starter Thread starter AmandaCalvary
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

AmandaCalvary

Guest
I was thinking about a mortal sin that I think I’ve committed this week, but the problem is, I don’t remember the conditions of the sin! (I know, it sounds impossible, but I have memory problems from time to time). I am not able to make it to confession anytime soon, but I am able to go to mass. Should still receive communion seeing as though I cannot remember the conditions of my sin? I will confess this sin when I can to be on the safe side. In the meantime, I am interested in hearing everyone’s opinion.
 
I was thinking about a mortal sin that I think I’ve committed this week, but the problem is, I don’t remember the conditions of the sin! (I know, it sounds impossible, but I have memory problems from time to time). I am not able to make it to confession anytime soon, but I am able to go to mass. Should still receive communion seeing as though I cannot remember the conditions of my sin? I will confess this sin when I can to be on the safe side. In the meantime, I am interested in hearing everyone’s opinion.
If you know it is a mortal sin, even it the conditions are not clear, then it should be confessed first.
 
  1. You cannot accidentally mortally sin.
  2. It must be grave matter.
  3. You know it is grave matter.
  4. You agree to commit it with the full freedom of your will. Personally, you probably did not mortally sin.
You are free to do as you wish, but “I” would simply refrain from receiving until I was certain, as you do more damage to your soul by unworthily receiving than by abstaining until confession.

“IF” it is mortal sin, that is the most dangerous to your soul - but again you have to be certain of the above factors.
 
You’re right that this is hard to believe. But say you do have a short term memory problem, I don’t think this would excuse mortal sin. You should have a system in place to address your situation. Someone with short term memory loss would already have a way of recording important events.
But say you weren’t able to record it, but had a heavy inclination that you did. In this case I would abstain from communion until reconciliation.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top