=Isaiah45_9;8036507]So we are to assume that water here refers to baptism? I see how it is likely to understand that, but wouldn’t Jesus have used the term baptism?
Could it not be that water is used in the same text as: John 13:10; 15:3; 1 Corinthians 6:11; Hebrews 10:22.
Jesus did make reference to “Living Water” in John 4:10 and John 7:37-39.
Being born of water and spirit, Jesus and the Holy Spirit. After all, Jesus washed away our sins. I tend to view it in this light.
**John.3: 1-5 ** "Now there was a man of the Pharisees, named Nicode’mus, a ruler of the Jews. This man came to Jesus by night and said to him, “Rabbi, we know that you are a teacher come from God; for no one can do these signs that you do, unless God is with him.” Jesus answered him, “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born anew, he cannot see the kingdom of God.” Nicode’mus said to him, “How can a man be born when he is old? Can he enter a second time into his mother’s womb and be born?” Jesus …
answered, "Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born of
water and the Spirit,
he cannot enter the kingdom of God."
CAN ONLY MEAN BAPTISM:
Luke.3: 3 “and he went into all the region about the Jordan, preaching a baptism of repentance for the forgiveness of sins.” Col.2: 12 “and you were buried with him in baptism, in which you were also raised with him through faith in the working of God, who raised him from the dead.” 1Pet.3: 21 “Baptism, which corresponds to this, now saves you, not as a removal of dirt from the body but as an appeal to God for a clear conscience, through the resurrection of Jesus Christ,”
Both references to “Living Water” are expressions of the EFFECTS of Baptism. “I AM” living water refers to ALL savation MUST flow through Jesus Christ and His Catholic Church.
John.13: "Jesus said to him, **“He who has bathed does not need to wash/B], except for his feet, but he is clean all over; and you are clean, but not every one of you.”
NOTE: what I highlighted refers to having ALREADY been Baptism; not dirty feet.
*
John 15: 1-5 Is of course part of the “Washing of the feet at the Last Supper” discourse… "I am the true vine, and my Father is the vinedresser. Every branch of mine that bears no fruit, he takes away, and every branch that does bear fruit he prunes, that it may bear more fruit. You are already made clean by the word which I have spoken to you. [4] Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit by itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in me. ***[5] I am the vine, you are the branches. He who abides in me, and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing"
“Abides In Me” means: knows, accepts and APPLLIES what I have taught. Christ teaching of the absolute need for Baptism is part of this knowledge.
1st. Cor. 6: 11 “And such were some of you. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and in the Spirit of our God.”
EACH and EVERY benefit listed here is attributrible to the EFFECTS of Baptism.
**Heb. 10:22 **“let us draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith, with our hearts sprinkled clean from an evil conscience and our bodies washed with pure water”.
Yet another passage referencing the effects of Baptism. **… Acts.2: 38 **"And Peter said to them, “Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit”.
***I hope my friend this clarifies the issue for you?
I’m curious why do think John 3:5 has a meaning other than what it obviously means.***
This is from Protestant Matt. Henry’s Bible Commentary of this verse: "
The regenerating work of the Holy Spirit is compared to water. It is also probable that Christ had reference to the ordinance of baptism. Not that all those, and those only, that are baptized, are saved; but without that new birth which is wrought by the Spirit, and signified by baptism, none shall be subjects of the kingdom of heaven. The same word signifies both the wind and the Spirit. The wind bloweth where it listeth for us; God directs it.
God Bless,
Pat**