Considering converting

  • Thread starter Thread starter jgajmom
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
How wonderful if you and your sister could attend a Mass together.If you do attend a Mass speak with the priest afterwards and tell him you are investigating the Catholic Church.He will be most welcoming.I suggest a weekday Mass first.Have a look where your local parish church is and find out the times of the Masses.Weekday Masses are not so well attended as people have to go to work and school etc.You can sit a t the back and follow everyone else when they stand or sit or kneel etc.
Or if you prefer go to your first Mass on a Sunday and sit at the back so you can follow everyone else.
I am keeping you in my prayers.May God bless you and your sister as you are drawn to Him.

Divine Mercy
Eternal God,
in whom mercy is endless
and the treasury of compassion
  • inexhaustible,
    look kindly upon us
    and increase Your mercy in us,
    that in difficult moments
    we might not despair
    nor become despondent,
    but with great confidence
    submit ourselves to Your holy will,
    which is Love and Mercy itself.
Amen
I’d recommend Sunday Mass, it’s bigger and better 🙂 Not that there’s anything wrong with weekday mass, I wish my job allowed me to attend daily.
 
Could you do me the favor of discussing what Paul wrote to the corintians? It starts this page. Thanks 🙂
I’m far from being a qualified apologist for evangelical christianity. Far brighter minds than mine on both sides have debated these matters for centuries. However, I do understand that our good works are not to be considered as a way to earn favor with God as payment for sin. Only the blood of Christ shed on Calvary can be an acceptable payment for sin. Anyone who claims to be a believer but who is not sensitive to the sin in their lives or does not even have a desire to obey Jesus probably does not possess a saving faith. Repentance, a changed life and good works are evidence of true belief that saves.
 
I’m far from being a qualified apologist for evangelical christianity. Far brighter minds than mine on both sides have debated these matters for centuries. However, I do understand that our good works are not to be considered as a way to earn favor with God as payment for sin. Only the blood of Christ shed on Calvary can be an acceptable payment for sin. Anyone who claims to be a believer but who is not sensitive to the sin in their lives or does not even have a desire to obey Jesus probably does not possess a saving faith. Repentance, a changed life and good works are evidence of true belief that saves.
Well, I would most certainly exhort you to study scripture closely and figure this out for your self. And when you do so, remember always the single most basic principal of good scripture study:
16 All scripture, inspired of God, is profitable to teach, to reprove, to correct, to instruct in justice, 17 That the man of God may be perfect, furnished to every good work.
That is to say, if your theology violates any portion of scripture it can not be valid. All scripture is equally the word of God, not just the parts that conviniently support a particular point of view.

More over I would suggest a closer study of Romans. As I beleive I said (I didn’t reread specifically but I typcially point this out) the subject of the letter is a flint knife. It’s about circumcision which can be seen in Acts (as I should have said). More over, with in Romans it’s self, Paul him self clairifies salvation muddied by the selective quoting of particular verses. One is saved by Faith working through love, not Faith along.

Lastly, I wish you the best in your studies and personal edification. God bless!
 
OK, so I watched my first mass last night on EWTN. Different. My sister, who was very supportive of my soul searching, has begun to throw every question she can think of at me since I told her I was looking at the Catholic church. Every lie we were ever told, she has asked me about. Most of them, I have at least found a quick answer for. Some, I told her I would have to read more about. I’m not giving in though. I also found out yesterday that a good friend (also from the cofC) has been thinking about the same things. I think we may go to mass together sometime. Maybe it won’t be so awkward if we go together.
Have you looked at the Catechism of the Catholic Church?
I have attached a link I hope the link works!?!
www.vatican.va/archive/catechism/ccc_toc.htm -

God bless
 
I have been soul searching and am considering converting to the Catholic church.
Contact the Coming Home Network chnetwork.org. They can get you in touch with someone who can answer any questions you have about the faith and conversion.

There’s a great program on EWTN called The Journey Home. It’s generally clergy converts to the faith telling the story of their conversion and the difficulties they encountered.

ewtn.com/tv/images/prime_04_monday.jpg

My wife and I are converts (2005) from mainline Protestantism. I had to convert when I learned the truth of what the Church actually taught.

God Bless!
 
Hi, everyone. So, I found out over the weekend that my hubby’s aunt goes to the local Catholic church. Just got off the phone with her and the kids and I are going with her to mass on Sunday. 😃 BTW, I just told my 8 year old daughter last night that we were going to another church. My 12 year old son has been in the loop since I started looking. Anyhow, my daughter told me that my mother screamed at her Sunday morning because she wanted to come home and not go to church with them. :eek: That’s the end. I cannot let them do this to my kids anymore. My daughter, 8 years old, told me she didn’t like mamaw shoving church down her throat. My daughter absolutely adores God. She loves to go, just not to their church anymore.
 
Hi, everyone. So, I found out over the weekend that my hubby’s aunt goes to the local Catholic church. Just got off the phone with her and the kids and I are going with her to mass on Sunday. 😃 BTW, I just told my 8 year old daughter last night that we were going to another church. My 12 year old son has been in the loop since I started looking. Anyhow, my daughter told me that my mother screamed at her Sunday morning because she wanted to come home and not go to church with them. :eek: That’s the end. I cannot let them do this to my kids anymore. My daughter, 8 years old, told me she didn’t like mamaw shoving church down her throat. My daughter absolutely adores God. She loves to go, just not to their church anymore.
Wow, I’m sorry to hear that you’re having so many issues with your Mom that’s terrible! Unfortunetly Jesus was very right when he said “I didn’t come here for peace, I came to pit brother against father, mother against daughter”…
 
Hi, everyone. So, I found out over the weekend that my hubby’s aunt goes to the local Catholic church. Just got off the phone with her and the kids and I are going with her to mass on Sunday. 😃 BTW, I just told my 8 year old daughter last night that we were going to another church. My 12 year old son has been in the loop since I started looking. Anyhow, my daughter told me that my mother screamed at her Sunday morning because she wanted to come home and not go to church with them. :eek: That’s the end. I cannot let them do this to my kids anymore. My daughter, 8 years old, told me she didn’t like mamaw shoving church down her throat. My daughter absolutely adores God. She loves to go, just not to their church anymore.
So with your husband’s aunt being Catholic…does that mean you have a lineage of Catholics in his family? Or was she a convert? That might be cool for your kids to actually have a family history of faith they can cling to. The church of Christ is so history-less and most people join because of splits/break offs from other churches so you usually don’t have a family line of members more than a couple generations or so (and being an American institution, it is removed from cultural roots). In my husband’s case - it was his each of his grandfathers on both sides that split off from the Catholic Church – and brought their wives away with them. My husband was impressed to realize that on his Italian side, he can trace his Catholic heritage back to the Middle Ages 🙂 It probably goes further back but the records are not available to find.
It is great that you have a family member you can go to church with. I am happy for you. I will keep praying for you. BTW good for you for not letting your mom get in your kid’s ear about church. I tell you from experience, the coc mindset has a way of souring people towards Christianity altogether. My husband almost lost faith altogether after witnessing the coc tear families apart. My sil, raised in the coc and mistreated and pressured by parents and grandparents is wary of all people who calls themselves Christians.

BTW be prepared, the coc is not above getting kids alone away from their parents for even a split second and telling them they their parents are going to hell for leaving.
 
You have to define “powerful though”, as a computer programer and a long time enthusiest I can assure everyone that you don’t need the latest greatest to perform most any non-speacialized computing task. My current quad core AMD, with 4GB ram and ATI 3850 video card is going to be fine for a long long long time. Despite the fact that some where deep down inside there’s a little voice trying to get me to upgrade lol.

Anyway, the point is at the end of the day we can all make do with out the level of luxury we desire. Even when we start kidding our selves into thinking “well because of my job I need to upgrade my PC every 6 mo”.
 
So with your husband’s aunt being Catholic…does that mean you have a lineage of Catholics in his family? Or was she a convert?
Actually, she converted when she married her first husband. She said she has tried others but always ends up going back to the Catholic church. I, however, am a big genealogy buff. I recently found out that my dad’s family was Catholic up until his grandfather was adopted due to his mother’s death. I am sure I will probably find more ancestors who were Catholic as many of mine come from western Europe.
 
OK, so the kids and I went to mass with hubby’s aunt on Sunday. It was nice, I enjoyed it. I have a question though. Is it common for women to participate in service? All of the scripture reading was done by a woman and one of the people handing out communion (not sure that’s what you call it) was a woman. This kind of bothers me. I was under the impression that women are not supposed to do these things during worship.
 
OK, so the kids and I went to mass with hubby’s aunt on Sunday. It was nice, I enjoyed it. I have a question though. Is it common for women to participate in service? All of the scripture reading was done by a woman and one of the people handing out communion (not sure that’s what you call it) was a woman. This kind of bothers me. I was under the impression that women are not supposed to do these things during worship.
:confused:
The last reading is from the gospels and is always done by a deacon or priest.
 
OK, so the kids and I went to mass with hubby’s aunt on Sunday. It was nice, I enjoyed it. I have a question though. Is it common for women to participate in service? All of the scripture reading was done by a woman and one of the people handing out communion (not sure that’s what you call it) was a woman. This kind of bothers me. I was under the impression that women are not supposed to do these things during worship.
Well, I guess the first thing you must understand is that when you are sitting there in the pew you’re not “the audience”. You in fact are very directly participating in the Mass, in fact when the priest in his prayers of concecration of the host will say “our sacrafice”, not “my sacrafice”. So in that sense, every single woman in the church is participating in the Mass, just as they have for the last 2,000 years.

With regard to the scripture readings, anyone can be a lecter (man or woman), anyone can do the first 2 readings, and anyone can lead the responsorial psalm. As previously noted, only the Priest or Decon can read the Gospel reading for the day, and only the Priest or Decon can offer the homily. Only the Priest can validly consecrate the host, but any extrodenary minister of hospitality (man or woman) can offer it to parishoners.

In the Catholic Church, woman have never taking a “back seat” to men in the strictest sense. Men and woman have always have (and will always have) their own unique roles in the Church. Women can never be Priests, they can never become ordained, and they’ll certainly never become Bishops or Popes.

That said, that isn’t to say the role of women in the church is to stand in the shadows and keep their mouths shut. Historically women (from the Virgin Mary forward) have been there helping to point the Church to Christ. There have been very many women doctors of the church and saints. The most recent examples of influential women in the Church would be Blessed Mother Teresa of Calcuta and Mother Angelica (EWTN).
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top